Traded Luke Dunstan

Remove this Banner Ad

359931.jpg

Home » Galleries » AFL 2015 Portraits - St Kilda
AFL 2015 Portraits St Kilda
Mon, 23rd Feb 2015
Image ID: 359931
Luke Dunstan poses for a photograph during the St Kilda Saints 2015 team photo day at the Linen House Centre, Seaford on February 23, 2015. (Photo: Michael Willson/AFL Media)

Dunno bout everyone else, but I'm loving the work of Mr 'Under the Radar' so far this year... He already seems like a seasoned mid that no one notices him in there & for a 2nd year player, he's a ripper who just racks them up with no fuss & no fanfare, unlike when Billings & Acres get a touch.

Luke Dunstan is already THE steal of that 2013 draft - 3 games of 22 touches this year, with a couple of games with lower numbers - after a ripping 1st year in 2014, you couldn't really ask for anything more from a 2nd year inside mid! Keep it up you little gem!

Wearing the number 7 as it should be worn IMO :thumbsu:

Dunno bout everyone else, but I'm loving the work of Mr 'Under the Radar' so far this year... He already seems like a seasoned mid that no one notices him in there & for a 2nd year player, he's a ripper who just racks them up with no fuss & no fanfare, unlike when Billings & Acres get a touch.

Luke Dunstan is already THE steal of that 2013 draft - 3 games of 22 touches this year, with a couple of games with lower numbers - after a ripping 1st year in 2014, you couldn't really ask for anything more from a 2nd year inside mid! Keep it up you little gem!

Wearing the number 7 as it should be worn IMO :thumbsu:
+1.

Those 2 snap goals he kicked under pressure on the weekend - pure class.

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2015-...l&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

"ST KILDA's Luke Dunstan wants to emulate the efforts of teammate David Armitage this summer and shed the kilos as he looks to recapture his promising first-year form.

The 20-year-old, who was often tagged as Lenny Hayes' obvious midfield replacement going into 2015, admits he failed to reach the heights he expected to in his second season."

^ same article continued a bit more.

"While he played 19 games, he found himself constantly having to deal with pain associated with the shoulder reconstruction that ended his 2014 early.

"It was on-going pain. Some days it was better than others, but early on in the season I lost a bit of confidence in my ability to tackle and my contest, which is the main strength of my game," Dunstan told AFL.com.au

Two weeks after last season ended, with his shoulder rested, Dunstan already felt better.

He came back to face a full pre-season program with new weights and running challenges set down by the coaches."

Obviously last year was harder on Dunstan than some of us realised, the positive side of that means there is huge upside left in the kid! Expecting pretty big things from the 2013 Wonder Trio (Billings, Dunstan, Acres) and I think Dunstan could be the most important of all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Press conference on the eve of the season opener: http://www.saints.com.au/news/2016-03-26/dunstan-were-ready-to-go

Emerging St Kilda midfielder Luke Dunstan says it’s important for the Saints to make a strong impression against Port Adelaide on Sunday in order to set the tone for their season from the opening round.

The Saints travelled to South Australia on Saturday looking to end a four-game losing streak against the Power, which stretches back to 2011 and includes two losses at Adelaide Oval.

“It’s obviously very important (to set the right tone from Round 1). We’ve done a lot of work over the pre-season, we’re just looking forward to getting out there now,” Dunstan told reporters at a press conference at Adelaide Oval on Saturday afternoon.

“All the boys have been ready to go for a while now. We’re finally getting back into so we’re looking forward to the challenge tomorrow.”

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2016-04-11/we-wanted-it-says-dunstan

“As a group I think we’re just gelling really well together. You could tell that there was a feeling that everyone’s sick of losing and really wanted to do something about it,” Dunstan told saints.com.au post-game.

“We’re getting in these positions in games where we can go on and win and kick away, finally we’ve done that.

“No one was happy with our performance last week. We were really outplayed and beaten in the contest last week, so we were keen to bounce back and play well.”

Post-game interview in the link.

Luke appears to be doing a lot of videos and media work this year, seems like he's going to be one of the faces of the club going forward.

Still wondering when it's ever gonna click for Lukey.
Identical statistics in his first three years mean maybe his big body was the reason he could play well in his first year.
I still believe he will excel his game but it may not be until year 5 or 6.

Still wondering when it's ever gonna click for Lukey.
Identical statistics in his first three years mean maybe his big body was the reason he could play well in his first year.
I still believe he will excel his game but it may not be until year 5 or 6.

He totally wowed me when he got 15 contested possessions in his third game.

Now i wonder if its a bit like Dean Polo getting 11 in his first.

He totally wowed me when he got 15 contested possessions in his third game.

Now i wonder if its a bit like Dean Polo getting 11 in his first.
His first round selection was somewhat because of his ready made body and leadership qualities.
But then you look at guys like Ollie Wines who have the body but are also talented and able to build.
After watching some of the other guys rise in their 4th, 5th, 6th years hoping the same for Luke
atm hes not doing enough

I watched the replay last night, Lukey Dunstan was one guy who really stuck out even more than at the game.

The week before against Carlton was his standard game, I thought. He was at a lot of stoppages and helped us win a bunch of contested ball. But we didn't see him much outside the contest and overall it didn't feel like he had huge impact.

Whereas against the Cats, I reckon he got to more 50-50 contests around the ground than I've ever seen from him. The one where he chased down Rhys in the goal square and pressured him into fumbling the ball was the most obvious, but there were plenty more like that.

Maybe it was just a different role for the day, he certainly seemed to start in the middle at centre bounces less. But I was really pleased to see his spread and tank.

I still think he's got a low ceiling relative to others on the list, but the guy's only 21 so would love to be proved wrong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back