Traded Luke Dunstan

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s interesting to me that his disposal efficiency last week was 87.5 because that has been the knock on him by so many BF saints fans . I thought his disposals have been good this year but I’m in the minority there obviously.

Go Saints

It’s interesting to me that his disposal efficiency last week was 87.5 because that has been the knock on him by so many BF saints fans . I thought his disposals have been good this year but I’m in the minority there obviously.

Go Saints
He has been very hit or miss this year. It started quite well but decreased a lot during the middle of the season but has been slightly increasing these part few weeks.

Hamill says -
Luke Dunstan 19 kicks, 13 handballs, 2 marks, 8 tackles

Luke Dunstan played his first full game in five weeks, as he’s been coming off the back of 80 minutes at AFL level. His read and react, along with Minchington, was really good, so those two bounced off each other a fair bit in there.

Go Saints

Hamill says -
Luke Dunstan 25 kicks, 8 handballs, 4 marks, 8 tackles

Luke was really good. You know what you’re going to get with Luke, so he’s a pleasure to coach. We know he’s got a heap of grunt inside, he either wins the ball or makes the tackle as an inside mid. His positioning was critical, as was his read and react and his hunt for the footy, most clearances he had to fight for. His leadership is really solid, and he’s performing accordingly.

Go Saints

In his fifth season at the Saints, hard-nosed midfielder Luke Dunstan was unlucky to be omitted from the senior side in Round 1 after a promising pre-season on the track.

At times, disposal efficiency was a mark against the big-bodied South Australian, but that was offset by his tireless contest work, which saw him feature in 16 games across the season.

His elite physicality meant he was among the Saints’ most effective inside players, his average of 9.7 contested possessions the fourth best in the side, while he also ranked second at St Kilda for average tackles with 4.4.

Dunstan was the Saints’ standout performer against the Cats in Round 4, racking up 26 possessions (10 contested), seven tackles and two goals.

“It was a mixed season for Luke, he was in and out of the team more than he would’ve liked,” Sexton said.

“He probably struggled to find consistency with his form, but when he played his best footy, it was based on his strong contest work and his hands in tight.”

Go Saints

(Log in to remove this ad.)

round 2
Hamill says

Luke Dunstan
37 disposals, seven marks, two tackles
“He’ll put his hand up for selection again and he controlled what he did. He got his hands on it, he was tough in there and he looked really, really confident in his actions.”

Luke Dunstan
21 disposals, six marks, two tackles, two goals
“They’re so solid in there the AFL players, and you’d expect him to play and perform that way. Luke again was clearly strong inside for us and the way he was able to handle himself in terms of the opposition and what they were doing was a credit to him.”

A steely final-quarter performance from Luke Dunstan has helped Sandringham clinch a thrilling victory over Frankston at RSEA Park.
Dunstan racked up 32 disposals across the afternoon –12 of which were gathered in the last term – as the Zebras clung to the lead against the wind.

Luke Dunstan
33 disposals, six tackles, 22 kicks, one goal
“I’ve been really impressed with Luke. His opportunity at AFL level will come. He’s a very consistent performer, he’s tough and strong, he’s got really good composure and he’s very good offensively and defensively. So he just needs an opportunity, but I thought he performed really well for us.”

Luke Dunstan continues to impress, the Saints’ leading ball-winner (30 disposals) enjoying arguably his best game for the year.
The No. 7 led the way for the red, white and black at the coalface, amassing team-high numbers in both contested possessions (17) and clearances (nine).
The hard-nosed South Australian has looked at home since returning to the senior line-up, with his selfless approach an asset to the Saints’ on-ball brigade.

Deal done for Dunstan
saints.com.au
Aug 16, 2019 9:00AM

Luke Dunstan will remain a Saint until at least the end of 2021 after inking a two-year deal. - St Kilda Saints,Luke Dunstan

Luke Dunstan will remain a Saint until at least the end of 2021 after inking a two-year deal.
  • Luke Dunstan will remain a Saint until at least the end of 2021, inking a new two-year deal this week.
    The 24-year-old has been among the Saints’ most important this year, regularly holding his own against the best midfielders in the competition.
    “We’ve been really impressed with Luke this season, both on and off the field,” Saints Head of List Management James Gallagher said.
    “He has always been willing to put his body on the line, but he’s grown into a very important player for us, and his numbers reflect that.”
    Dunstan’s progress has been clear, with his stats in contested possessions, clearances and tackles all up year-on-year.
    Of every midfielder to have played this season competition-wide, only four average 6+ clearances, 5+ tackles and 4+ inside-50s – Luke Dunstan, Clayton Oliver, Luke Shuey and Elliot Yeo.
    “Luke is also a vocal leader and has been integral to the development of several players around him.
    “We’re really pleased to have secured his services for the next few years, and we look forward to seeing his growth continue.”

Dunstan, who notched up his 100th AFL game two weeks ago, said the decision to stay was made easy by the exciting crop of young players alongside him.
    “I love the club, and I believe the group we have is capable of some really great things,” Dunstan said.
    “We’re getting to a stage where there is a core number of boys who have played together for a few years now, and we’re really starting to gather some momentum.
    “We are really keen to finish the year off strongly, and then get stuck back into pre-season and prepare for a big 2020.”
    Dunstan joined the Saints with pick No. 18 in the 2013 AFL Draft, before debuting against Melbourne in Round 1 the following year.

Happy that the Saints have signed him up for another couple of years . I know he is a whipping boy for some but i think we area much better outfit with him in the team . Was abit of an up and down year for Luke but there is no doubting his commitment . Needs to work on his kicking at goal in the future as it let him down at times this year.

Happy that the Saints have signed him up for another couple of years . I know he is a whipping boy for some but i think we area much better outfit with him in the team . Was abit of an up and down year for Luke but there is no doubting his commitment . Needs to work on his kicking at goal in the future as it let him down at times this year.

My big knock on Luke, who hit the ground running when he was drafted, was his lack of improvement over that promising initial season.
While his season may seem to be in many ways lack lustre, its actually been somewhat of a breakout for him.

Year // Games // Contested Possessions per game // Clearances per game // Goals.
2014 // 20 // 7.6 // 3 // 9
2015 // 19 // 7.1 // 3 // 12
2016 // 18 // 8.2 // 3.5 // 5
2017 // 16 // 8.4 // 4.1 // 10
2018 // 16 // 9.7 // 3.8 // 5
2019 // 18 // 11.5 // 6.2 // 4

He lead the team for contested possessions and clearances, narrowly ahead of Marshall.

Luke Dunstan
Career
Games: 103
Goals:
Games: 18
Goals:

702462_gl.jpg

Much like Billings, Luke Dunstan entered the new season with barrages of criticism surrounding his worth to the Saints.
But the steely No. 7 proved just how important he was to the red, white and black, piecing together a career-best year to silence his doubters.
‘From his 18 games, ‘Spook’ topped the Saints for total clearances and stoppage clearances, while also charting in his side’s top-three for contested possessions, ground-ball gets and tackles.
Dunstan also finished in the top-10 at this year’s Trevor Barker Award after six seasons at the club.
And with the No. 7 set to stay at the Saints for another three years, expect the midfield bull to come out charging in 2020.
BEST GAME:
Dunstan turned the tide in St Kilda’s favour in the Round 8 clash against West Coast, racking up 26 disposals, five tackles and five clearances (and two Brownlow votes) after a stint in the VFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back