Free Agency Luke Dunstan [joins Melbourne as an unrestricted free agent]

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick 22 + Dunstan for Pick 23 is reasonable.
Haha, Crows already have picks 22 & 23.

Doubt we will trade for Dunstan as he isn't a need.

Was only talk he would come to the Crows to help Saints increase their bid for Brouch.

**insert sarcastic tone**
St Kilda should demand pick #1 from Adelaide, anything less StKilda walk away 🤣🤣

serious now,given crouch has come into our line up, I cant See him making our best 22.

hes been a warrior for us, a great inside bull.
He could suit a club that is rebuilding and requiring mid field grunt.

I think the thing that will prevent him being traded is that he's on decent coin, and no club will want to take on that contract.

He wasn't able to get back into the team for the last round, or for the finals, even though Gresham (who'd been playing mainly midfield) wasn't there, so if you add Gresham and Crouch next year, it will be even harder for him to get a game.

By then Jack Bytel will have another preseason into him as well, and he's potentially a better version of Luke, who we'll want to get games into, so I highly doubt we'll see much, if any of Luke, if he stays.

His glaring weaknesses are lack of both speed and endurance (spends a quarter of each game on the bench), a complete lack of versatility, he's a very ordinary kick and he's not great at handballing either!
How much would he be on? I am guessing he is in that $400-$600,000 a year Bracket.

Surely no more than about $475K PA.
i think he would be higher paid ... he would have been part of that brigade that we "over paid" to make up 95% of the SC ... i think thats the main issue hes more than handy as a back up player for us but on his current wage you would expect a player earning that to be more than just a back up ... realistically it doesnt hurt us too much now as by the time we need to up the contract for Clarke or Coffield he will be off contract

i think he would be higher paid ... he would have been part of that brigade that we "over paid" to make up 95% of the SC ... i think thats the main issue hes more than handy as a back up player for us but on his current wage you would expect a player earning that to be more than just a back up ... realistically it doesnt hurt us too much now as by the time we need to up the contract for Clarke or Coffield he will be off contract
so he was one of those blokes that had their contracts front loaded to make that minimum 95 percent of the salary cap 2 years ago? Yeah I heard about that. Then since Dunstan and few blokes contract's were front loaded, then you had free cap space to trade in the likes of hill and Ryder.

Seems crazy for some teams to struggle to play Percent of the cap.

Random thing to say this. Still remember back In 2010 or 2011, the minimum was 92.5 percent. There was a story between the richest and pooreest clubs. I remembered that Collingwood filled their cap easily 8.2 million. Port was one of the poorest in that period and struggled to fill 92.5 Percent of the cap or 7.6 million.

Considering the salary cap was only 13 million. Imagine if the minimum salary was 90 percent or 11.7 million. Thats 1.3 million to wriggle around

so he was one of those blokes that had their contracts front loaded to make that minimum 95 percent of the salary cap 2 years ago? Yeah I heard about that. Then since Dunstan and few blokes contract's were front loaded, then you had free cap space to trade in the likes of hill and Ryder.

Seems crazy for some teams to struggle to play Percent of the cap.

Random thing to say this. Still remember back In 2010 or 2011, the minimum was 92.5 percent. There was a story between the richest and pooreest clubs. I remembered that Collingwood filled their cap easily 8.2 million. Port was one of the poorest in that period and struggled to fill 92.5 Percent of the cap or 7.6 million.

Considering the salary cap was only 13 million. Imagine if the minimum salary was 90 percent or 11.7 million. Thats 1.3 million to wriggle around
we had Rooey retire we couldnt attract a free agent of any note and our marquee trade accusition was Logan Austin ... we had oodles of money but nothing to spend it on so we had some of the highest paid fringe players in the comp ... heck we had Mav Weller as a top 5 paid player at one stage....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is another interesting one for us along with Billings and Ross, as far as how much we want to keep them goes.

Since he returned to the team a month ago (after absolutely killing it in the VFL), he’s averaged 27 disposals (12 contested), 7 clearances, 7 tackles and 7 inside 50’s, so we’d obviously be far more interested in keeping him than we were a couple of months ago.

2nd BOG game in 4 weeks.

A team like Carlton should be sniffing around heavily. Hard to imagine Cripps wouldn’t love to have him alongside him right now.

Last edited:
Playing well now.
Crows should have a go at him.
Played a great game last night, but not convinced he can maintain it.

He's not really a need for the Crows as we need more pace & skill/class in our midfield to supplement Sloane, Keays, Laird, Crouch, Schoenberg, Berry, Pedlar, etc.

Would Narkle be of interest to you guys?
More the type of player we need.

Doubt Cats will easily let him go... though surprised he doesn't get more games... so may be able to sell more opportunities.

He’s been quite nice the last month but still makes a few monumental errors due to poor decision making or vision.
A few of times he’s flat out taken the wrong option when moving the ball forward.
I’ve been happy with him though, wouldn’t be upset if we offerer him a new contract - not a big or long one however.

He’s been quite nice the last month but still makes a few monumental errors due to poor decision making or vision.
A few of times he’s flat out taken the wrong option when moving the ball forward.
I’ve been happy with him though, wouldn’t be upset if we offerer him a new contract - not a big or long one however.

The vision of him bombing down the line instead of to Ben Long sums it up. But we would be stupid not to offer him a new contract.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back