Toast Luke Dunstan signs until 2021

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda

Luke Dunstan will remain a Saint until at least the end of 2021, inking a new two-year deal this week.

The 24-year-old has been among the Saints’ most important this year, regularly holding his own against the best midfielders in the competition.

“We’ve been really impressed with Luke this season, both on and off the field,” Saints Head of List Management James Gallagher said.

“He has always been willing to put his body on the line, but he’s grown into a very important player for us, and his numbers reflect that.”

Dunstan’s progress has been clear, with his stats in contested possessions, clearances and tackles all up year-on-year.

Of every midfielder to have played this season competition-wide, only four average 6+ clearances, 5+ tackles and 4+ inside-50s – Luke Dunstan, Clayton Oliver, Luke Shuey and Elliot Yeo.

“Luke is also a vocal leader and has been integral to the development of several players around him.

“We’re really pleased to have secured his services for the next few years, and we look forward to seeing his growth continue.”

Dunstan, who notched up his 100th AFL game two weeks ago, said the decision to stay was made easy by the exciting crop of young players alongside him.

“I love the club, and I believe the group we have is capable of some really great things,” Dunstan said.

“We’re getting to a stage where there is a core number of boys who have played together for a few years now, and we’re really starting to gather some momentum.

“We are really keen to finish the year off strongly, and then get stuck back into pre-season and prepare for a big 2020.”

Dunstan joined the Saints with pick No. 18 in the 2013 AFL Draft, before debuting against Melbourne in Round 1 the following year.

St Muir

All Australian
Oct 18, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda

Luke Dunstan will remain a Saint until at least the end of 2021, inking a new two-year deal this week.

The 24-year-old has been among the Saints’ most important this year, regularly holding his own against the best midfielders in the competition.

“We’ve been really impressed with Luke this season, both on and off the field,” Saints Head of List Management James Gallagher said.

“He has always been willing to put his body on the line, but he’s grown into a very important player for us, and his numbers reflect that.”

Dunstan’s progress has been clear, with his stats in contested possessions, clearances and tackles all up year-on-year.

Of every midfielder to have played this season competition-wide, only four average 6+ clearances, 5+ tackles and 4+ inside-50s – Luke Dunstan, Clayton Oliver, Luke Shuey and Elliot Yeo.

“Luke is also a vocal leader and has been integral to the development of several players around him.

“We’re really pleased to have secured his services for the next few years, and we look forward to seeing his growth continue.”

Dunstan, who notched up his 100th AFL game two weeks ago, said the decision to stay was made easy by the exciting crop of young players alongside him.

“I love the club, and I believe the group we have is capable of some really great things,” Dunstan said.

“We’re getting to a stage where there is a core number of boys who have played together for a few years now, and we’re really starting to gather some momentum.

“We are really keen to finish the year off strongly, and then get stuck back into pre-season and prepare for a big 2020.”

Dunstan joined the Saints with pick No. 18 in the 2013 AFL Draft, before debuting against Melbourne in Round 1 the following year.

He's hit another level this season and is starting to fulfill the potential we saw in his early days. It makes a huge difference to our midfield when he's firing. He seems to be getting around the ground a bit more in recent weeks as well and he's done some nice work both in defence and forward.

Sep 25, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Best year since his debut one. Finally regained the confidence and consistency we all thought he was capable of. The most noticeable improvement i see is in his penetrating kicks. An improved tank is also making a world of difference.

True heart and soul player. Who knows, if he keeps it up he may still get the chance to captain us one day. Well done.

mightymalaka

What we have here is a failure to communicate!
May 7, 2018
Road to Nowhere
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester United
Great news mightymalaka will be happy!
Excellent! 😁

All my campaigning paid off! And you can all rest assured i am unashamedly
Taking full credit for the deal! Will also be expecting a cut! 😏

He has shown a fierce determination to force his way back into the fold
And become the leader we all hoped! Great to see him give the big up yours
To all the vitriolic critics out there who can not see his worth to the team!

He will only get better and better from here! Just needed a coach to believe in
Him and away he went! Bleeds for the club and is just the type every good side
Needs when it gets rough and ready in the big games! Good on him!
People who think he has reached his limit will be pleasantly surprised as to
The level he can go to! The best is still to come from the Dunny Man!

kernelT

Can go any club
Aug 15, 2010
Chiraq
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Louis Slungpue
Pretty amazing stat, was probably unlucky to get dropped after 20 touches, 12 contested, 8 tackles, 3 clearances, 3 i50's in round 3.

If he can clean up some of those handballs to players feet he'll be captain material.

Oct 18, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
St Kilda, Ocean Grove Collendina Cobras
This thread will do - so who of the "regulars" are left to sign a contract?

As fas as I know its Carlisle, Newnes, Savage, Brown, (Langlands) - any others? (not including the likes of White's and Rice's who can't get game)

kernelT

Can go any club
Aug 15, 2010
Chiraq
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Louis Slungpue
This thread will do - so who of the "regulars" are left to sign a contract?

As fas as I know its Carlisle, Newnes, Savage, Brown, (Langlands) - any others? (not including the likes of White's and Rice's who can't get game)
I think Savage has extended…
Carlisle extension triggered?

Leaving

Armitage
Newnes
White
Rice
Brown
Longer
Pierce

Armoooo

Club Legend
Apr 19, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
Not disappointed in this signing at all. Been one of our better players and still has some improvment in him I reckon (especially with a stronger team around him).

I actually feel like his run and spread has increased in the second half of the year.

Great news. Very pleased for him and us.

I know many supporters who have cried after games over the years, but not many players who have done it.
He gives his all. Heart and soul type player. I can see him as captain at some stage.

VDS66

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 4, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Great news. Very pleased for him and us.

I know many supporters who have cried after games over the years, but not many players who have done it.
He gives his all. Heart and soul type player. I can see him as captain at some stage.
In terms of improvement, all aspects of his game have shown equalness this year...

AirWinmar

Premiership Player
Jun 18, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Best year since his debut one. Finally regained the confidence and consistency we all thought he was capable of. The most noticeable improvement i see is in his penetrating kicks. An improved tank is also making a world of difference.

True heart and soul player. Who knows, if he keeps it up he may still get the chance to captain us one day. Well done.
Yep, has a reputation of not being the best kick, but i think that has improved a lot this year. Has hit up some beauties lace out this season

Aug 13, 2016
South Gippsland
AFL Club
St Kilda
Great news for Luke and the club! Skills are a bit off but wears his heart on his sleeve like a certain L. Hayes used to. Stoked he’s committed and the club have backed him - guess Crouch is off the table then?
Really enjoy watching Dunstan play. Cracks in hard, gives his all and never gives up the chase.
3 happy (and 1 very happy) supporters in my house

Back