Free Agency Luke Dunstan [joins Melbourne as an unrestricted free agent]

Remove this Banner Ad

12Chill

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
He’s worth a pick in the 40s at best. Gives it everything he’s got and will win clearances but can’t spread and has limitations on his disposal.

I would’ve thought he’d provide good support for Cripps at the Blues but someone said they weren’t interested.

In the dark years Dunstan at least gave Saints fans something to be proud about in our losses. He’d be the one fighting when it seemed like everyone else had given up. I also recall him having tears in his eyes after a narrow loss that we should’ve won after he almost dragged us over the line in the last quarter where he just got smashed contest after contest but kept managing to win the hard ball and get us a clearance, and then do it again and again. I’ll have good memories of him and appreciate his service to the club, he’s unlucky to have been injured when our midfield broke down with Gresh, Ross and Hannebery all spending time on the sidelines as he would’ve come in.

He polled a Brownlow vote in what is probably now his last game for us funnily enough (should’ve been Billings to get the vote imo) but we’ve moved passed him now. Will do what fans expect of him at another club if someone takes him, but ultimately the goal will be for your similar younger players with higher ceilings to overtake him at some point.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Wouldn't St Kilda just not worry about what pick it is just to get him to another club and off the books ?

Whats he on something like $500k+ from what was mentioned in a crouch thread why would the saints be wanting this overhang on a player thats not going to be there in 12 months time and probably wont play any games.

Better off getting another kid for the list spot and saving $400k

diddley1984

The biggest horse in all of Norway
Sep 8, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
why would the saints be wanting this overhang on a player thats not going to be there in 12 months time and probably wont play any games?
Pretty much the only reason left, is that he is quite a serviceable backup midfielder. Surplus now for sure, and expensive for a backup that will be playing VFL, but definitely not the worst.
But I agreed. I would like to move him on to clear the salary, and make a play for Treloar, the return wouldn’t need to be huge, but that’s just me.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Pretty much the only reason left, is that he is quite a serviceable backup midfielder. Surplus now for sure, and expensive for a backup that will be playing VFL, but definitely not the worst.
But I agreed. I would like to move him on to clear the salary, and make a play for Treloar, the return wouldn’t need to be huge, but that’s just me.
Dont agree
Jack Bytel & Seb Ross are your backups and you cant keep $1 million dollars as backup mids

12Chill

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Dont agree
Jack Bytel & Seb Ross are your backups and you cant keep $1 million dollars as backup mids

Ross is still best 22 at this stage, coming off the bench most likely. He’s not a back up.

Bytel yes though. If injury hit at this point forward I’d prefer to get games into Bytel then play Dunstan.

st_trav_ofWA

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Anyone who is categorically not best 22 can't be valued as anything under pick 30 IMO
depends on the club ... Luke would be best 22 in at least 4 other clubs in the comp.. when everyoe is fit at the Saints hes on the outside of the best 22 given what we have brought into the team ..
we are not talking about a spud of a player the guy has flaws but he still has some very very strong traits

wimpy

Debutant
Sep 30, 2010
Adelaaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
depends on the club ... Luke would be best 22 in at least 4 other clubs in the comp.. when everyoe is fit at the Saints hes on the outside of the best 22 given what we have brought into the team ..
we are not talking about a spud of a player the guy has flaws but he still has some very very strong traits
Dunstan would not be an integral part of the Crows rebuild, I would offer late 30's early 40's as a take it or leave it offer. The Crows rebuild will take a very long time so would expect Dunstan not be a part of it. Positives for a trade would be to give St Kilda some salary cap relief and and give a bit of experience and guidance for the young Crows.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
Just out of curiousity, why has Luke Dunstan only played one game in 2020?

Injuries?
Out of form?
Out of favour with coach Brett Ratten?
Fallen out of the best 22 with new recruits/replacements coming in?

A misture of all of the Above?

aussierulesrules Mat Mann StCicatriz joop projectv any of you chaps can explain?

The bloke played 100 games in 6 seasons from 2014-19 then only plays one game in 2020.

I find it odd that a guy that played a fair bit of Saints games in the last 5-6 years all of a sudden this year plays 1 game.

Injuries?
Out of form?

aussierulesrules Mat Mann StCicatriz joop projectv any of you chaps can explain?

The bloke played 100 games in 6 seasons from 2014-19 then only plays one game in 2020.

I find it odd that a guy that played a fair bit of Saints games in the last 5-6 years all of a sudden this year plays 1 game.

his biggest issue is run and spread. good in close but then when the ball gets on the outside, can't keep up

he's very different to say what you have inside, your mids can compete in there but then run and spread really well

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
He played R1 this year and got a Brownlow vote in a losing team, but over the covid break I think we came to the conclusion that with the addition of Jones, we had one "mid" too many in R1 (Steele, Hannebery, Ross, Gresham, Jones, Dunstan) and Luke was deemed the weak link and was the one to be dropped when the season resumed several weeks later.

He then played a few weeks in the ressies, before copping a significant injury to his arm, which saw him miss most of the rest of the year.

Came back late in the year, but our team was settled and there was no need for him in there.

st_trav_ofWA

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda

Injuries?
Out of form?

biggest issue was injury ...
round one he was one of our better players in one of our worst performances of the year after the covid break he was left out for a faster midfield rotation and then he tore his pectorial by the time he got fit enough to come back we also had Hannas coming back so they went with him over Dunstan ... had Spook not been injured he would have played most weeks while Hannas was out but no such luck for Luke ... the fact we saw glimpses from Bytel and the mids were winning enough contested ball to keep us winning plus now with Crouch i think Luke is surplus to our needs ... but he isnt a bad footballer

May 27, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda

Injuries?
Out of form?

Hi Freomaniac

He tore a pectoral muscle in June which sidelined him for a little while and also coincided with the mid-season reboot which was the worst time for him to get injured.

When he was fit again and ready to maybe come back, we didn't really have anyone to drop to put him in for. Byrnes and Bytel got a run in his absence (as Zak Jones was also out injured at the time). Hanners was also fit then as well and pushing to get into the side.

I don't think he's fallen out of favour, I'm just not sure if he's in our best 22 anymore.

Crouch coming in will push him further down the pecking order I'd reckon.

Last edited:

mad-saint-guy

Premiership Player
Apr 13, 2005
Toronto, ON
AFL Club
St Kilda
Looking like his inflated salary and uncertainty about list sizes is making it tough to find Luke a new club. He's worth a spot on the list for a club that needs a bit of depth in the middle/someone to do some heavy lifting to take the pressure off the starting mids.

Our midfield mix is now along the lines of this:

Inside: Steele, Crouch, (Bytel)
Balanced: Clark, Jones, Gresham, Ross, Hannebery, (Byrnes)
Outside: Hill, Billings, Sinclair, (Phillips)

I just couldn't see Dunstan getting back into our 22 barring injuries to at least three of the starting inside/balanced mids.

Here's hoping he does get a new club (future 4th rounder will do) because I can't see him furthering his career much at St Kilda

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
his biggest issue is run and spread. good in close but then when the ball gets on the outside, can't keep up

he's very different to say what you have inside, your mids can compete in there but then run and spread really well
He played R1 this year and got a Brownlow vote in a losing team, but over the covid break I think we came to the conclusion that with the addition of Jones, we had one "mid" too many in R1 (Steele, Hannebery, Ross, Gresham, Jones, Dunstan) and Luke was deemed the weak link and was the one to be dropped when the season resumed several weeks later.

He then played a few weeks in the ressies, before copping a significant injury to his arm, which saw him miss most of the rest of the year.

Came back late in the year, but our team was settled and there was no need for him in there.
biggest issue was injury ...
round one he was one of our better players in one of our worst performances of the year after the covid break he was left out for a faster midfield rotation and then he tore his pectorial by the time he got fit enough to come back we also had Hannas coming back so they went with him over Dunstan ... had Spook not been injured he would have played most weeks while Hannas was out but no such luck for Luke ... the fact we saw glimpses from Bytel and the mids were winning enough contested ball to keep us winning plus now with Crouch i think Luke is surplus to our needs ... but he isnt a bad footballer
Hi Freomaniac

He tore a pectoral muscle in June which sidelined him for a little while and also coincided with the mid-season reboot which was the worst time for him to get injured.

When he was fit again and ready to maybe come back, we didn't really have anyone to drop to put him in for. Byrnes and Bytel got a run in his absence (as Zak Jones was also out injured at the time). Hanners was also fit then as well and pushing to get into the side.

I don't think he's fallen out of favour, I'm just not sure if he's in our best 22 anymore.

Crouch coming in will push him further down the pecking order I'd reckon.

So going by all these posts....

He got injured in the middle of the season.

By the time he was fully fit, The saints made finals and couldnt replace any PLayer in the best 22 Because Brett Ratten didnt want to change a winning team. Sounds about right.

Still I am curious on if the Saints will trade him this season or Keep him for 2021 as a depth player.

He is a Free Agent this time next season. Still think he will play 8-10 games next season to give him some sort of Value.

You cant say he is injury prone as he has played over 100 games. Wonder if Port or crows will look at him next season as he is from Woodville West torrens in the SANFL.

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
So going by all these posts....

He got injured in the middle of the season.

By the time he was fully fit, The saints made finals and couldnt replace any PLayer in the best 22 Because Brett Ratten didnt want to change a winning team. Sounds about right.

Still I am curious on if the Saints will trade him this season or Keep him for 2021 as a depth player.

He is a Free Agent this time next season. Still think he will play 8-10 games next season to give him some sort of Value.

You cant say he is injury prone as he has played over 100 games. Wonder if Port or crows will look at him next season as he is from Woodville West torrens in the SANFL.
I think the thing that will prevent him being traded is that he's on decent coin, and no club will want to take on that contract.

He wasn't able to get back into the team for the last round, or for the finals, even though Gresham (who'd been playing mainly midfield) wasn't there, so if you add Gresham and Crouch next year, it will be even harder for him to get a game.

By then Jack Bytel will have another preseason into him as well, and he's potentially a better version of Luke, who we'll want to get games into, so I highly doubt we'll see much, if any of Luke, if he stays.

His glaring weaknesses are lack of both speed and endurance (spends a quarter of each game on the bench), a complete lack of versatility, he's a very ordinary kick and he's not great at handballing either!

Last edited:

HTPunter

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Hugh Greenwood 2.0 I think

Potential to do a solid midfield role as an inside bull mid. Not worth a heap at the trade table. Potential to blossom at a new club in need of a player like him, not likely to get back into the Saints side long term barring bad injury run. Contracted whilst overpaid and surplus to needs is basically the same as uncontracted in regards to trade value.

Greenwood went for a future third and fourth (about 41 and 60 at a guess) . Make it a late 2nd (pick in the mid 30s) or the same 2 picks and it's about fair.

Steele, Crouch, Jones, Hannebery, Ross
Billings, Gresham, Hill

Clark and Coffield potential to develop into midfield roles. Sinclair flank/midfielder.

No room for a player like Dunstan.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back