List Mgmt. Luke Edwards 2020 Draft Plan - Crows Need More Edwardses

Remove this Banner Ad

No. It's not happening. Stop with the "they are against us" everyone.

They want it changed from 100 games to 50 - that will increase our pool too. There's no conspiracy.
In fact some are pushing for a Grandfather rule ..... but at the very least there should be a mother / son rule for AFLW players

How's this as an idea ... if the Edwards family don't hate the idea and Luke wants to develop his professional career as much as possible, what if Luke goes to boarding at a school in Victoria for the next two years so he can get involved in the TAC competition over there?
I understand that the TAC clubs have a better reputation for developing players than the SANFL do, but I would have thought that through the Crows S/F academy Luke will have better opportunity to develop than most kids in the SANFL and probably the TAC too. By staying involved in the Crows academy, it also allows the club to mould Luke into the type of player that we want.

I understand that the TAC clubs have a better reputation for developing players than the SANFL do, but I would have thought that through the Crows S/F academy Luke will have better opportunity to develop than most kids in the SANFL and probably the TAC too. By staying involved in the Crows academy, it also allows the club to mould Luke into the type of player that we want.
That's true. The issue I see is that the Crows academy cannot control the games that Luke plays since he'll be playing with the Bays. Maybe it (regular training and matches) wont matter if he's going to do well regardless.

Who actually is saying this ??? ......i can tell you, in Victoria, there's a school of thought that with the SANFL playing against men is a better preparation for the top end draftees, than playing in a much weaker Boys TAC comp?

Who actually is saying this ??? ......i can tell you, in Victoria, there's a school of thought that with the SANFL playing against men is a better preparation for the top end draftees, than playing in a much weaker Boys TAC comp?
There is some merit in that position but if you look at the shear differential in numbers of Victorian kids v South Australian kids who get drafted every year, even accounting for the descrepancy in the respective populations, it is hard to argue that the TAC isnt a more successful program for developing junior talent.

Clearly, considering how disastrous SA has been at developing AFL level footballers for the past decade, that school of thought is completely wrong.

Clearly, considering how disastrous SA has been at developing AFL level footballers for the past decade, that school of thought is completely wrong.

What about Western Australia?

The development program in South Australia is broken, not the system. Playing against an adult is a much better development system than playing against a person your own age.

IIRC didn't Tex Walker, Roo, & Fogarty all say, as country lads, that playing in country leagues against men, helped their footy development .....all 3 able to mix it physically

I agree with others that there other aspects of the system that are wrong .....but playing SANFL is not a disadvantage v playing against kids your own age that are simply below average players (TAC)

IIRC didn't Tex Walker, Roo, & Fogarty all say, as country lads, that playing in country leagues against men, helped their footy development .....all 3 able to mix it physically

I agree with others that there other aspects of the system that are wrong .....but playing SANFL is not a disadvantage v playing against kids your own age that are simply below average players (TAC)
It depends which way you look at it. If you're underdeveloped physically it may be harder to hone your skills when you're up against older bigger bodies that just want to crunch you, whereas you can cope with this more as your body shape changes with age. Some of the younger SANFL players probably learn survival techniques at the expense of skills so may not ever get to shine in front of AFL scouts.

It depends which way you look at it. If you're underdeveloped physically it may be harder to hone your skills when you're up against older bigger bodies that just want to crunch you, whereas you can cope with this more as your body shape changes with age. Some of the younger SANFL players probably learn survival techniques at the expense of skills so may not ever get to shine in front of AFL scouts.
Think you're agreeing with me to a degree .....maybe not survival techniques, although when i played these were often what you were taught ....how to fall, how to turn in a bump, how to tackle the bigger body, how not to be afraid of the bigger bodies & thus develop confidence .....this lead to the next phase of skill development

Now if you have developed all these skills by easily being faster, better, and sometimes taller than whiney skinny kids in TAC ......and then you go up to seniors without those survival skills ......and haven't we seen that with players tackling front on, without any attempt to protect one self

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Isnt he an AFL Academy player?
Seems he's been dropped, was definitely in the level 1 squad last year [2018 eligible]

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-08-03/fatherson-prospects-headline-latest-afl-academy-squad

LEVEL ONE NAB AFL ACADEMY (draft-eligible 2018)
NSW-ACT: Matthew Walker, Nick Blakey
Queensland: Bailey Scott
Tasmania: Chance Jones, Tarryn Thomas
Northern Territory: Michael Mummery
Western Australia: Ian Hill, Tom Joyce, Sydney Stack, Jason Carter
Vic Country: Sam Walsh, Zane Barzen, Jye Caldwell, Sam Fletcher, Hudson Garoni
Vic Metro: Rhylee West, Jack Bytel, Max King, Ben King
South Australia: Izak Rankine, Connor Rozee, Jackson Hately, Jack Lukosius, Hugo Munn, Ruben Flinn, Luke Valente

Updated list....

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-10-11/afl-academy-squad-released

South Australia: Jackson Hately (Central District), Jack Lukosius (Woodville – West Torrens), Hugo Munn (Sturt), Izak Rankine (West Adelaide), Connor Rozee (North Adelaide), Luke Valente (Norwood)

Seems he's been dropped, was definitely in the level 1 squad last year [2018 eligible]

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-08-03/fatherson-prospects-headline-latest-afl-academy-squad

LEVEL ONE NAB AFL ACADEMY (draft-eligible 2018)
NSW-ACT: Matthew Walker, Nick Blakey
Queensland: Bailey Scott
Tasmania: Chance Jones, Tarryn Thomas
Northern Territory: Michael Mummery
Western Australia: Ian Hill, Tom Joyce, Sydney Stack, Jason Carter
Vic Country: Sam Walsh, Zane Barzen, Jye Caldwell, Sam Fletcher, Hudson Garoni
Vic Metro: Rhylee West, Jack Bytel, Max King, Ben King
South Australia: Izak Rankine, Connor Rozee, Jackson Hately, Jack Lukosius, Hugo Munn, Ruben Flinn, Luke Valente

Updated list....

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-10-11/afl-academy-squad-released

South Australia: Jackson Hately (Central District), Jack Lukosius (Woodville – West Torrens), Hugo Munn (Sturt), Izak Rankine (West Adelaide), Connor Rozee (North Adelaide), Luke Valente (Norwood)
Hmm...maybe somethings gone on we dont know about.

Ok, so I was getting worried why some reporters like the Gaskin seem to think Luke will be in the 2019 draft so I emailed the Club and got this not long ago:

Thank you for your email to the Adelaide Football Club.

Luke Edwards will not be eligible for the AFL draft until 2020.

Thank you for your interest.

Kind regards
ADELAIDE FOOTBALL CLUB

There you have it.

Ok, so I was getting worried why some reporters like the Gaskin seem to think Luke will be in the 2019 draft so I emailed the Club and got this not long ago:

Thank you for your email to the Adelaide Football Club.

Luke Edwards will not be eligible for the AFL draft until 2020.

Thank you for your interest.

Kind regards
ADELAIDE FOOTBALL CLUB

There you have it.
Most have been saying it’s 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Back