Luke Edwards Father/Son Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Last I heard Jackson was playing for Werribee this year, apparently Mark Williams (who is coaching Werribee) has offered to mentor him.

If Edwards is mates with Choco then I am sure that Choco would have convinced him that it was the Crows faults that Jackson didn't make it etc
He signed with Werribee but actually hasn't made the main VFL team yet.

He signed with Werribee but actually hasn't made the main VFL team yet.
The kid is a dud. I watched him play local football on the weekend. Only reason he is getting a game at local level is because he is VFL listed player. Won’t get a game at Werribee VFL and just taking someone’s spot at local level. Skill level is poor and work rate even worse looks lost no class.

The kid is a dud. I watched him play local football on the weekend. Only reason he is getting a game at local level is because he is VFL listed player. Won’t get a game at Werribee VFL and just taking someone’s spot at local level. Skill level is poor and work rate even worse looks lost no class.
I'll be very surprised if he doesn't get a game with the Chocko factor in the discussion. I've seen him play plenty too, his skills especially his left kick is quite good if not overly penetrating, work rate is also quite adequate, it's lack of genuine pace for his type of player that's the issue. I'm sure he has enough ability to be a best 22 player in a non aligned SANFL or VFL team....AFL is altogether a different story unless he is capable of improving his speed and contested footy.

Lol.

I remember this with both Ben Jarman, and Jackson Edwards. News flash - no chance Luke would turn it down.

The only way you'd not consider FS is if you were a top 5-20 pick, and even then this season, that may not be the wisest decision seeing we hold pick 1 (or potentially later picks depending on what we do). Otherwise, you'd be a brain dead moron to not take that option the moment it comes, if it comes because it is a much easier path onto a list.

I would say that if Luke doesn't end up on our list, that's be more to do with us not wanting him, then vice versa.

Last edited:
Interesting first post

You're entitled to your opinion, and you can believe Jackson wasn't given a fair go if that suits you, again I don't share that view. If Jackson was such a hot prospect explain why not one other club recruiter saw enough in him to draft him in the National draft bearing in mind 78 players were taken. Do you think any other club would have taken him in the rookie draft given he was the last player taken?

It looks like we made the right decision list management wise, but I’d suggest the real problem might the messaging we gave to him and the family.

When we decided to put Jarman on the rookie list, we didn’t make it clear to Ben or Darren that this was plan all along. It seems like we fixed that when we signed Jackson but it wouldnt surprise if we weren’t tactful enough when he gave him a and Ben the boot.

Lol.

I remember this with both Ben Jarman, and Jackson Edwards. News flash - no chance Luke would turn it down.

The only way you'd not consider FS is if you were a top 5-20 pick, and even then this season, that may not be the wisest decision seeing we hold pick 1 (or potentially later picks depending on what we do). Otherwise, you'd be a brain dead moron to not take that option the moment it comes, if it comes because it is a much easier path onto a list.

I would say that if Luke doesn't end up on our list, that's be more to do with us not wanting him, then vice versa.
Luke's not in this year's draft - next year.

It looks like we made the right decision list management wise, but I’d suggest the real problem might the messaging we gave to him and the family.

When we decided to put Jarman on the rookie list, we didn’t make it clear to Ben or Darren that this was plan all along. It seems like we fixed that when we signed Jackson but it wouldnt surprise if we weren’t tactful enough when he gave him a and Ben the boot.
How many others have we cut that didn't accept the decision and the way we handled it? Some times the the truth is a little hard to accept no matter how 'gently' it's delivered. The balls in Jackson's court now to prove the decision to cut him was a bad one.

How many others have we cut that didn't accept the decision and the way we handled it? Some times the the truth is a little hard to accept no matter how 'gently' it's delivered. The balls in Jackson's court now to prove the decision to cut him was a bad one.
Would exit interviews fall under the GM of Football (Burton), List Manager (Justin Reid [or Mark Ricciuto and Burton in Murrays case]), the Senior Coach (Pyke), or maybe even the SANFL coach (?) area of responsibility?

Or all of the above?

Would exit interviews fall under the GM of Football (Burton), List Manager (Justin Reid [or Mark Ricciuto and Burton in Murrays case]), the Senior Coach (Pyke), or maybe even the SANFL coach (?) area of responsibility?

Or all of the above?
Justin Reid would have the final say I'd think.

Justin Reid would have the final say I'd think.
To me it just looked like they had plans for last years draft and Edwards was not a part of the clubs plans going forward. If he is unhappy with the feedback he was given during the year and at the exit interview, clearly it's an area the club can improve on. Who's do you think should be responsible for that (not necessarily who should be doing the grunt work, but who should be ensuring its happening)?

To me it just looked like they had plans for last years draft and Edwards was not a part of the clubs plans going forward. If he is unhappy with the feedback he was given during the year and at the exit interview, clearly it's an area the club can improve on. Who's do you think should be responsible for that (not necessarily who should be doing the grunt work, but who should be ensuring its happening)?
And there's no pleasing "some" people, you miss that option?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I get that.

There have been murmurings of a younger players who have been discarded who haven't been particularly happy with the way their "potential" careers played out. Wigg and Gore would be reasonable recent examples.

I am not saying the club is right or wrong, I am questioning if its an area the club could/can improve on?

I get that.

There have been murmurings of a younger players who have been discarded who haven't been particularly happy with the way their "potential" careers played out. Wigg and Gore would be reasonable recent examples.

I am not saying the club is right or wrong, I am questioning if its an area the club could/can improve on?
I respectfully disagree, there's no easy way to cut an AFL player, especially a youngish one. Most accept it and get on with their life whether that be seeking other football opportunities or employment opportunities..

I respectfully disagree, there's no easy way to cut an AFL player, especially a youngish one. Most accept it and get on with their life whether that be seeking other football opportunities or employment opportunities..
I agree it's a hard one. I'm really just questioning if more can be done to develop the youth. And if there is, who would be responsible for making sure it happens.

Personally I don't think it's the Senior Coach. And I don't think it's the List Manager.

You just hope there's no hierarchy developing where the best 22 occupy the bulk of the coaching staff's attention and the rest of the players are left to fend for themselves (by comparison anyway)

For us to run a successful program you need every player on the list to think, eat, breathe and act like an elite AFL footballer. In everything they do and how they work with their coaches is part of this.

That's the only way the group improves.

Otherwise you are just left squeezing every last drop you can out of your best 22 for years on end.

I agree it's a hard one. I'm really just questioning if more can be done to develop the youth. And if there is, who would be responsible for making sure it happens.

Personally I don't think it's the Senior Coach. And I don't think it's the List Manager.
I thought it was generally accepted within the AFL ranks we have been one of the better clubs at player development so again I don't see it as any bigger problem than other clubs, in fact I think we're superior to most in that particular area.

I thought it was generally accepted within the AFL ranks we have been one of the better clubs at player development so again I don't see it as any bigger problem than other clubs, in fact I think we're superior to most in that particular area.
Historically yes but has that died away slowly since Alan Stewart and Peter Jonas finished up?

I am starting to wonder if the club is living off of past success and not embracing or chasing new ideas or better practice?

I still think at every level the club should aspire to be the best. And who should be responsible for ensuring it happens

You're entitled to your opinion, and you can believe Jackson wasn't given a fair go if that suits you, again I don't share that view. If Jackson was such a hot prospect explain why not one other club recruiter saw enough in him to draft him in the National draft bearing in mind 78 players were taken. Do you think any other club would have taken him in the rookie draft given he was the last player taken?
You cant trot out that "no one else drafted him so that proves he isnt any good" line.
Everyone passed on Pav in his first year. No one wanted Kelly until he was older and Geelong took a punt etc etc etc. I could write a hundred examples of where recruiters get it totally wrong.

Tyson was angry because Jackson was only given one year as rookie.
His issue with the club isnt just over Jackson, but over how the club pushed him aside to keep in good with Macca.
And Luke is a much better prospect than Jackson was.
To think anything other than this is a bulls up by the club is stupid.

Thinking about Edwards though, he has possibly had every known advantage to transition onto an AFL list. So many other young blokes would give their left nut to have the exposure that he has had within an afl environment. And I agree, I find it a little hard to listen to him talking about being so unhappy that the club didn't do more.

It's almost like he/they had an expectation that the club would offer or treat him differently to other rookies because ..

Think we need to remember if his last name was not Edward he would not have made an AFL list and would be struggling to get a game for Glenelg seniors,
Jackson Edward received a free year in the SANFL and he was not up to standard in that league,
and at this time his brother Luke needs to get on his bike to make the 2nd rd. in 2020. few of the other kids have overtaken him.

You cant trot out that "no one else drafted him so that proves he isnt any good" line.
Everyone passed on Pav in his first year. No one wanted Kelly until he was older and Geelong took a punt etc etc etc. I could write a hundred examples of where recruiters get it totally wrong.

Tyson was angry because Jackson was only given one year as rookie.
His issue with the club isnt just over Jackson, but over how the club pushed him aside to keep in good with Macca.
And Luke is a much better prospect than Jackson was.
To think anything other than this is a bulls up by the club is stupid.
I can, I will and I did. Until the lad proves otherwise that's exactly where he sits.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back