Luke Edwards Father/Son Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Its called a prediction. You understand that yeah? Its why recuiters pick who they think are the best kids.
These are kids who have performed at the highest level against their peers. You understand that yeah?
However until they make it at AFL level there is no guarentees. You understand that yeah?
So my point that because no one drafted them before we did means nothing other than the clubs before us picked someone else.

You missed his point by some ways

Nov 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Serious question. Other than Mark Murphy who’s the best player who qualified to be a father-son pick but wasn’t picked up through not nominating?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

It’s a fairly new phenomenon as the price used to be so low.

In the new era of paying something like fair value, Dunkley must go close

Though somehow Josh P Kennedy and Matthew Primus, somehow feel like big misses albeit slight outside the question

Nov 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Tyson reckons teams didn't even bother looking at Jackson on the basis of us grabbing him. So I'm guessing he thinks if he wasn't a F/S then a lot of teams are interested, which gets him invited to the national combine and everyone gets a look at him and he goes a lot higher.

So now he thinks by not nominating Luke it'll mean there's no chance he slides since everyone will look at him knowing we won't take him.

There does seem to be a bit of a gentleman’s agreement, a nod and a wink when it comes to F/s.

You don’t see too many F/s bids come in, but you see a crap load of academy type bidding

Think the different nature of the schemes gets different approaches

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels Beaufort Crows
Hasn't been a lot of highly rated F/S in more recent times probably Darcy Moore and Joe Daniher the only ones that were unless you count Nick Blakey who was a Roos F/S but decidec to go to the Swans through his Academy link, of course his father being on the coaching staff probably the big influence.

VictorianCrow85

Premiership Player
Jul 22, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Tyson reckons teams didn't even bother looking at Jackson on the basis of us grabbing him. So I'm guessing he thinks if he wasn't a F/S then a lot of teams are interested, which gets him invited to the national combine and everyone gets a look at him and he goes a lot higher.

So now he thinks by not nominating Luke it'll mean there's no chance he slides since everyone will look at him knowing we won't take him.
Tyson sounds full of s#*t to be honest. Most likely just a parent who can't accept his son just isn't on the level. I'm sure there's plenty of other people we will want to be targeting anyway so if the F/S doesn't work out with Luke so be it - would rather just be getting the best players possible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

fourhorseman

Debutant
Mar 10, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think Jackson did all he could as a professional athlete. He seems like the most dedicated young person ever; very diligent with his health and football. Unfortunately, it's not enough. How do you tell someone they're not good enough even though they're going at 100%. One of his mottos is 'trust the process', so if you do the work, you'll be rewarded, but that's not how life always works. Sometimes, it's just not meant to be. Perhaps they can't accept that.

Have to agree Jackson is very focused and dedicated which is a great attribute.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think Jackson did all he could as a professional athlete. He seems like the most dedicated young person ever; very diligent with his health and football. Unfortunately, it's not enough. How do you tell someone they're not good enough even though they're going at 100%. One of his mottos is 'trust the process', so if you do the work, you'll be rewarded, but that's not how life always works. Sometimes, it's just not meant to be. Perhaps they can't accept that.
Jackson, sadly mate you're just not going to make it as a footballer. Perhaps, you'd be interested in our orange boy vacancy?

ChilliP

All Australian
Nov 8, 2018
Goolwa
AFL Club
Adelaide
The biggest reason we delisted Jackson was that he did everything right. The biggest areas you can improve a kid is by teaching them how to be a professional with their diet, preparation and training and Jackson was already at an AFL level with all of those things when he arrived. His had a strict diet, he was at the club on his days off trying to work on his upper body strength or doing extra running. The club realised early on that he was already pretty close to his ceiling and wasn't going to get to the level he needed to be. I don't think we took him on as a "charity pick", but I think we had marked his papers after he had been at the club for 6-8 months and knew with the majority of the season left to go that he wouldn't be going around again, so gave him a lot less time than some of the other guys.

Below_me_Port

Debutant
May 4, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
But he was a Father Son pick for the eagles.

“While Cousins was still at school, three AFL teams competed to draft him under the father–son rule; the Geelong Football Club, the West Coast Eaglesand the newly formed Fremantle Football Club. Cousins' father Bryan played 238 games for Perth in the WAFL and 67 games for Geelong in the VFL during the 1970s and 1980s. Geelong's recruiting manager, Stephen Wells, said, "Ben barracked for Geelong and we tried everything to get him here."[7]However, Cousins preferred to remain based in Western Australia and chose West Coast in October 1995.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back