Luke Edwards Father/Son Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

We chose to take him

If we didn't think he was good enough, fine

Stringing him along with false hope for 12 months with nothing more than a token effort to coach him does nothing for anyone. Waste of time for all parties and whatever relationship we had now destroyed.

Either commit or don't.

Looks like the recruiters didn't want to pick him in the first place. The club didn't want the bad PR of overlooking a FS prospect. So they compromised at one year.

And either way Edwards and his father are pissed off as is shown by the reaction to Jackson not being re-rookied.. Classic no win situation for the club.

We gave him the opportunity no-one else was prepared to do when all said and done. No AFL club showed any interest again when he was dropped and I'd suggest the only reason he's been given a shot at Werribee/Spotswood is down to his father's prior relationship with Chocko.

Last edited:
Doesn't look like Jackson had anything to write home about yesterday playing in what is basically the ammos against the bottom team Albion [the easybeats]
http://websites.sportstg.com/round_info.cgi?a=MATCH&fixture=125240804&c=1-25-0-516660-0&pool=1
SPOTSWOOD
Goal Kickers: W. Patak 4, D. Callard 4, C. Bettiol 3, M. Boyd 3, J. Beilby 3, S. Harvey 2, B. Hodgson 2, C. Nastasi 2, J. Boyd 2, A. Cooney, J. Edwards, S. O''Bryan, D. Iaccarino
Best Players: B. Hodgson, S. O''Bryan, C. Nastasi, H. Walshe, M. Boyd, W. Patak

Good pickup. If Jackson isn't able to crack Werribee's VFL side then he's clearly a long away off AFL standard.

There's a long time to go until draft night, and one would hope Luke will be mature enough to make his own decisions and isn't so heavily influenced by what's happened to his brother.

Good pickup. If Jackson isn't able to crack Werribee's VFL side then he's clearly a long away off AFL standard.

There's a long time to go until draft night, and one would hope Luke will be mature enough to make his own decisions and isn't so heavily influenced by what's happened to his brother.
He's a better player but I'm still not sure he makes it.

He'd of still bitched, he's acting like an entitled brat. He should be thanking us for even giving his son a shot when no one else wanted to.
That's the club's attitude

That they should be grateful for being in any way associated with our greatness and how dare anyone question it

Burton is no doubt offended by the Edwards' attitude

That they should be grateful for being in any way associated with our greatness and how dare anyone question it

Not really.

I'm backing the club on this one, and of late that's rare. He wasn't up to it and we gave him a charity year that we didn't need to.

Tyson needs to know when to shut up

Not really.

I'm backing the club on this one, and of late that's rare. He wasn't up to it and we gave him a charity year that we didn't need to.

Tyson needs to know when to shut up
You're backing the club for giving him a charity year?

That is a scathing criticism of the club, not a backing of them

Its not just Adelaide, if an AFL club offers anyone a shot they should be grateful, not throw the toys out when that club decides he's not up to it. He's not the first, nor the last player to be delisted after a year, he's chosen to blame everyone else without accepting he just might not be good enough, with Mark Williams in his ear telling him all sorts of fairytales.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No harm giving him a year to see something
From his interview it sounds like our mind was made up beforehand, it was a token list spot at best and it has soured him and his family on the prospect of Luke playing here.

Hard to spin it positively.

Its not just Adelaide, if an AFL club offers anyone a shot they should be grateful, not throw the toys out when that club decides he's not up to it. He's not the first, nor the last player to be delisted after a year, he's chosen to blame everyone else without accepting he just might not be good enough, with Mark Williams in his ear telling him all sorts of fairytales.
Nobody gets drafted with the club having no intention of them ever playing and just simply a token PR exercise

From his interview it sounds like our mind was made up beforehand, it was a token list spot at best and it has soured him and his family on the prospect of Luke playing here.

The family knew he was touch and go to be drafted and should have been grateful we even bothered.

For them to sook it up when he gets delisted and then not redrafted by anyone is hilarious.

And I hope our club has the good grace unlike the Edwards' to not get involved in a s**t fight which would seem to be what the other party's is after.

I might add that interview appears to have Chocko's fingerprints all over it.

1555226758791.png

The family knew he was touch and go to be drafted and should have been grateful we even bothered.

For them to sook it up when he gets delisted and then not redrafted by anyone is hilarious.

We either should have not drafted him if we didn't think he was good enough; or drafted him and genuinely invested development time in him like any other draftee.

Doing neither is of course going to make the player angry. It's wasting a year of their life. The player has hope they will make it, while the club all along knows they won't and strings them along.

It's s**t behavior. I don't blame Edwards at all for "sooking" over this.

On top of that the club is wasting their own time and resources listing a player they don't rate. It's a big waste for everyone involved

We either should have not drafted him if we didn't think he was good enough; or drafted him and genuinely invested development time in him like any other draftee.

Doing neither is of course going to make the player angry. It's wasting a year of their life. The player has hope they will make it, while the club all along knows they won't and strings them along.

It's s**t behavior. I don't blame Edwards at all for "sooking" over this.

On top of that the club is wasting their own time and resources listing a player they don't rate. It's a big waste for everyone involved
Plenty of guys last 1 year in a system. I agree the mistake was drafting him, but we did the right thing by getting rid of him.

Plenty of guys last 1 year in a system. I agree the mistake was drafting him, but we did the right thing by getting rid of him.

No we didn't. If we didn't rate him we should have been upfront and honest and not wasted our own time and resources in the first place

No we didn't. If we didn't rate him we should have been upfront and honest and not wasted our own time and resources in the first place
Look we are all into bashing the club currently but this is way off the mark.

For all we know the club said "right Jackson, you're on the very edge of our list. We will give you 12 months to show us you deserve a spot"

Guess what, he didn't. Again, we made the error, big deal. The hysterics on this are just that, hysterical.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back