Luke Edwards Father/Son Discussion

Mar 26, 2015
The Land of Apricot Slice
AFL Club
Adelaide
You think Tom Liberatore, premiership player and best n fairest winner is only playing AFL because of his father?

That’s not a clever opinion

Aaron Keating played in a premiership too.

But I think you're right, I was mistaking Libba for another AFL father son who is quite substandard.

Name escapes me at the current time.

Aug 15, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Legs, Wests Tigers
Look we are all into bashing the club currently but this is way off the mark.

For all we know the club said "right Jackson, you're on the very edge of our list. We will give you 12 months to show us you deserve a spot"

Guess what, he didn't. Again, we made the error, big deal. The hysterics on this are just that, hysterical.
Couldn't agree more.

Fair dinkum, are people really getting indignant about the club for giving 12 months to the son of a champion player to show what he's got (even if they didn't realistically expect him to make it).

The club's done a shiteload wrong of late, but this isn't one of those. Some posters need to learn some objectivity.

marvin

Premiership Player
Oct 24, 2000
Tired old hack in Melb
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide
You cant trot out that "no one else drafted him so that proves he isnt any good" line.
Everyone passed on Pav in his first year. No one wanted Kelly until he was older and Geelong took a punt etc etc etc. I could write a hundred examples of where recruiters get it totally wrong.

Everyone passed on Pav in his first year? That doesn't mean no one thought he was any good. That meant, given the draft rules of the time related to 17 year olds, that he was not regarded as a top 16 pick.

Tyson was angry because Jackson was only given one year as rookie.
His issue with the club isnt just over Jackson, but over how the club pushed him aside to keep in good with Macca.
And Luke is a much better prospect than Jackson was.
To think anything other than this is a bulls up by the club is stupid.

Did you think the club said to Edwards "sorry Tyson, we'd love to keep your son on this list but Macca says no?" Or is it possible that Tyson has carried a massive chip on his shoulder for many years and views everything through a certain lens?

dplggr47

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
I think Jackson did all he could as a professional athlete. He seems like the most dedicated young person ever; very diligent with his health and football. Unfortunately, it's not enough. How do you tell someone they're not good enough even though they're going at 100%. One of his mottos is 'trust the process', so if you do the work, you'll be rewarded, but that's not how life always works. Sometimes, it's just not meant to be. Perhaps they can't accept that.

Oct 16, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
Think it is a sad situation, both with him and Jarman. As a club, we are keen to establish history and father son picks gives us another part of history, the sad part is they were both not quite good enough to play AFL. We saw some improvement in Jars and hoped he could build on that so he got his second year but any doubts we had on Jackson didn't dissipate through the year and worse for us, the kid probably busted a gut trying to get to the next level but he just doesn't have it in him.

mickfaxis

Club Legend
Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Think it is a sad situation, both with him and Jarman. As a club, we are keen to establish history and father son picks gives us another part of history, the sad part is they were both not quite good enough to play AFL. We saw some improvement in Jars and hoped he could build on that so he got his second year but any doubts we had on Jackson didn't dissipate through the year and worse for us, the kid probably busted a gut trying to get to the next level but he just doesn't have it in him.

Yes...very true. He looks after what goes into his body more than any other 18 yr old would. And is a meticulous preparer. I knew the boy well when he was younger. A super kid with a very measured head on his shoulders. He still believes he can make it, which is a credit to his tenacity.

If you look at his games in the SANFL early last year he was in the best players half a dozen or so times. He's a smooth mover and excellent disposer of the footy. Unfortunately, he's extremely light and not quick. Traits that will end an AFL career before they start. He copped an injury last year and never got back.

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels Beaufort Crows
Yes...very true. He looks after what goes into his body more than any other 18 yr old would. And is a meticulous preparer. I knew the boy well when he was younger. A super kid with a very measured head on his shoulders. He still believes he can make it, which is a credit to his tenacity.

If you look at his games in the SANFL early last year he was in the best players half a dozen or so times. He's a smooth mover and excellent disposer of the footy. Unfortunately, he's extremely light and not quick. Traits that will end an AFL career before they start. He copped an injury last year and never got back.
Twice in 14 games according to the SANFL Macca's League stats site, Best players supplied by the clubs.

http://websites.sportstg.com/team_i...=1-3289-147926-480484-26151840&ocompID=480484

21/04/18 against Centrals
http://websites.sportstg.com/round_...24998891&client=1-3289-147926-480484-26151840

26/05/18 against West Adelaide
http://websites.sportstg.com/round_...24998986&client=1-3289-147926-480484-26151840

And I agree he seems like a very switched on driven young man re his diet and preparation perhaps to the point of it being an obsession, IMO perhaps he just needs to lighten up a bit and enjoy the football journey a little more?

Jul 9, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Half way towards the mid-season draft and 50 names have been suggested as potential pick ups for clubs with a spare list spot. Jackson's name no where in sight. Which isn't really much of a surprise. I think it's pretty easy to forget though how competitive it is just to get an opportunity at AFL level.

Apsaalooke

Premiership Player
Sep 23, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Ozark Mountain Daredevils
Half way towards the mid-season draft and 50 names have been suggested as potential pick ups for clubs with a spare list spot. Jackson's name no where in sight. Which isn't really much of a surprise. I think it's pretty easy to forget though how competitive it is just to get an opportunity at AFL level.
and yet Jake Kelly and Hartigan are in our best 22, and according to the coaches David Mackay is in the running for our Team of the Century.

Bazz_27

Club Legend
Sep 14, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LFC,
Is luke edwards going to be good? I know he was talked up the last few years but so was Jackson

Would be great to finally get a decent father & son. Are we the only club that hasn't had one play an AFL game?

With the Jackson Edwards situation he wasn't going to make it as hard as he applied himself. Perhaps we could have communicated better who knows, but not like it would ended in a different result.

If the Edwards are pissed off that they won't allow us to select Luke as a father son selection, so be it, as he then probably heads interstate.

Back