Luke Edwards Father/Son Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Would be great to finally get a decent father & son. Are we the only club that hasn't had one play an AFL game?

With the Jackson Edwards situation he wasn't going to make it as hard as he applied himself. Perhaps we could have communicated better who knows, but not like it would ended in a different result.

If the Edwards are pissed off that they won't allow us to select Luke as a father son selection, so be it, as he then probably heads interstate.
At some level after watching the interview with Christian Woodford I got the impression that he Jackson was disappointed the club didn't take with a low pick in the National Draft. It seemed idea that he may be taken by anyone before the Rookie Draft didn't sit well with him. Additionally, it seems he feels that as a minimum he felt that 2 years in the system was what he needed.

Perhaps the family are just chasing as a starting point some sort of confirmation that Luke will be taken in the National Draft. Though clearly the family's relationship with the club seems to be quite complicated

At some level after watching the interview with Christian Woodford I got the impression that he Jackson was disappointed the club didn't take with a low pick in the National Draft. It seemed idea that he may be taken by anyone before the Rookie Draft didn't sit well with him. Additionally, it seems he feels that as a minimum he felt that 2 years in the system was what he needed.

Perhaps the family are just chasing as a starting point some sort of confirmation that Luke will be taken in the National Draft. Though clearly the family's relationship with the club seems to be quite complicated
Are you suggesting the club should give an iron clad guarantee they will take player in the National Draft 20 months out from that draft?

It's absolute baloney for Tyson to suggest Jackson's draft chances with other clubs were hindered by his association with the Crows, if any club thought he was a great AFL prospect despite his Crows ties surely they would have used a low value late pick remembering there were 78 players selected in the National Draft that year. I can understand Tyson wants the best outcome for his lads but the reality is AFL club recruiters rated 78 players better and I highly doubt his past Crows ties were a factor in any of them overlooking him.

Are you suggesting the club should give an iron clad guarantee they will take player in the National Draft 20 months out from that draft?

It's absolute baloney for Tyson to suggest Jackson's draft chances with other clubs were hindered by his association with the Crows, if any club thought he was a great AFL prospect despite his Crows ties surely they would have used a low value late pick remembering there were 78 players selected in the National Draft that year. I can understand Tyson wants the best outcome for his lads but the reality is AFL club recruiters rated 78 players better and I highly doubt his past Crows ties were a factor in any of them overlooking him.
Absolutely not. I am wondering if that's what the either he, or the family expected. I still find the interview bizarre.

Let's be honest, the writing was on the wall for Jackson as soon as he trotted out to preseason training with that chinstrap

Would be great to finally get a decent father & son. Are we the only club that hasn't had one play an AFL game?

With the Jackson Edwards situation he wasn't going to make it as hard as he applied himself. Perhaps we could have communicated better who knows, but not like it would ended in a different result.

If the Edwards are pissed off that they won't allow us to select Luke as a father son selection, so be it, as he then probably heads interstate.

Besides GC & GWS, yeah.

Not that many clubs have had "successful" picks from FS anyway. Brisbane only had J Brown, Port's only selection of Brett Ebert, St Kilda most successful is David Sierakowksi (93 games) - and only Bailey Rice besides him has played games. Hawks only had 3, none played 50 games.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...ian_Football_League_under_the_father–son_rule

It's not the gold mine it's made out to be. Yes, Geelong had success, but that's the exception not the rule.

“How much do you want to bet...”
Its called a prediction. You understand that yeah? Its why recuiters pick who they think are the best kids.
These are kids who have performed at the highest level against their peers. You understand that yeah?
However until they make it at AFL level there is no guarentees. You understand that yeah?
So my point that because no one drafted them before we did means nothing other than the clubs before us picked someone else.

Everyone passed on Pav in his first year? That doesn't mean no one thought he was any good. That meant, given the draft rules of the time related to 17 year olds, that he was not regarded as a top 16 pick.

Did you think the club said to Edwards "sorry Tyson, we'd love to keep your son on this list but Macca says no?" Or is it possible that Tyson has carried a massive chip on his shoulder for many years and views everything through a certain lens?
It actually means evey club thought the person they drafted before Pav would be better than him. Just like we backed in Kenny over him. It proves my point that just because every club passed on him didnt mean he was a dud.

You didnt read my post properly did you? I said Tyson felt angry at the club because he felt they took Maccas side over his, and were happy to cut ties with him over it.
Had nothing to do with Macca influencing the club over Jackson.
But, how the club has dealt with him and his family has a direct result on our ability to secure the best father son talent that has come our way so far.
Im glad you think thats not a big deal. Im glad you are happy with how our club has been run over the last few years.

Its called a prediction. You understand that yeah? Its why recuiters pick who they think are the best kids.
These are kids who have performed at the highest level against their peers. You understand that yeah?
However until they make it at AFL level there is no guarentees. You understand that yeah?
So my point that because no one drafted them before we did means nothing other than the clubs before us picked someone else.
Matthew Pavlich got taken at pick 4 the year after being passed over. Edwards can't get a game for Werribee.

You understand that, yeah?

It actually means evey club thought the person they drafted before Pav would be better than him. Just like we backed in Kenny over him. It proves my point that just because every club passed on him didnt mean he was a dud.

You didnt read my post properly did you? I said Tyson felt angry at the club because he felt they took Maccas side over his, and were happy to cut ties with him over it.
Had nothing to do with Macca influencing the club over Jackson.
But, how the club has dealt with him and his family has a direct result on our ability to secure the best father son talent that has come our way so far.
Im glad you think thats not a big deal. Im glad you are happy with how our club has been run over the last few years.
I forgot about Kenny great mark but slow as. I do remember watching him kick bags of goals as a kid for sharks leading up to being drafted. Just didn't have the x factor like pav. Ah the 90s.

Tyson reckons teams didn't even bother looking at Jackson on the basis of us grabbing him. So I'm guessing he thinks if he wasn't a F/S then a lot of teams are interested, which gets him invited to the national combine and everyone gets a look at him and he goes a lot higher.

So now he thinks by not nominating Luke it'll mean there's no chance he slides since everyone will look at him knowing we won't take him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tyson is a little full of himself, up there with Kornes and Leyton Hewitt.
Hewitt used to be even worse, had a ripper nickname in high school.

I liked him though, and he achieved more than the other 2 combined.

Tyson reckons teams didn't even bother looking at Jackson on the basis of us grabbing him. So I'm guessing he thinks if he wasn't a F/S then a lot of teams are interested, which gets him invited to the national combine and everyone gets a look at him and he goes a lot higher.

So now he thinks by not nominating Luke it'll mean there's no chance he slides since everyone will look at him knowing we won't take him.
The only reason more team recruiters will look at Luke more than Jackson is if they assess him as being a superior prospect. Basically what Tyson and Jackson are saying is Hamish and his scouts are bad judges of talent to not have taken him in the National Draft. The National Combine results hardly influence recruiters at all with most of the youngsters having been tracked for 3 or 4 years out from the draft and 99% of them will have tested multiple times in front of recruiters in the years leading up to the draft. You seem to forget we made it quite clear we were highly unlikely to take Jackson in the National Draft a long way out from the draft hence not nominating him. Any way Tyson spins it at this time Hamish looks to have got it right or Jackson would have had interest from AFL clubs the minute we delisted him.

Werribee's 27 man line up for this weekend..

WERRIBEE v. GEELONG (video stream)

Round 3 – 20/04/201902:00Avalon Airport Oval (Chirnside Park)

WERRIBEE

B: 21. L. Pinnuck, 14. T. House, 30. M. Spencer

HB: 18. R. Hebron, 26. D. Nielson, 7. D. McFarlane

C: 15. K. Declase, 4. T. Gribble, 22. B. Malual

HF: 8. J. Henderson, 5. N. Coughlan, 10. J. Maishman

F: 17. M. Augerinos, 36. J. Berry, 2. M. Munro

R: 31. A. Clarke, 11. M. Hanson, 9. J. Clayton

Int: 12. R. Barrack, 43. D. Bennett, 40. T. Boyd, 29. D. Brew, 13. K. Gray, 16. O. Junker, 46. R. Kemp, 20. B. Norton

23P: 32. J. Riccardi

In: D. Bennett, O. Junker, T. Boyd, B. Norton

The only reason more team recruiters will look at Luke more than Jackson is if they assess him as being a superior prospect. Basically what Tyson and Jackson are saying is Hamish and his scouts are bad judges of talent to not have taken him in the National Draft. The National Combine results hardly influence recruiters at all with most of the youngsters having been tracked for 3 or 4 years out from the draft and 99% of them will have tested multiple times in front of recruiters in the years leading up to the draft. You seem to forget we made it quite clear we were highly unlikely to take Jackson in the National Draft a long way out from the draft hence not nominating him. Any way Tyson spins it at this time Hamish looks to have got it right or Jackson would have had interest from AFL clubs the minute we delisted him.
Or even SANFL clubs....

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Or even SANFL clubs....

I think in fairness to Jackson he did have approaches from SANFL clubs but the Edwards' thought his chances were better in the VFL, how nuch the Chocko influence if any had in that decision I don't know.

Tyson is a little full of himself, up there with Kornes and Leyton Hewitt.

Tyson and Kornes worked together in real estate iirc. And now Tyson and his wife work together as a "team". Yes, it's as cringeworthy as it sounds. Their Facebook page makes me want to stab myself in the eye.

I think in fairness to Jackson he did have approaches from SANFL clubs but the Edwards' thought his chances were better in the VFL, how nuch the Chocko influence if any had in that decision I don't know.
He was close to signing with Tea Tree Gully and the Werribee offer came up.

19/20 year old going from AFL to Ammos ain't the story of a guy with SANFL offers on the table.

19/20 year old going from AFL to Ammos ain't the story of a guy with SANFL offers on the table.

I'm sure in the story in the advertiser by Dwayne Russell last week it said he did.

I'm sure in the story in the advertiser by Dwayne Russell last week it said he did.
Really ..?

That would make the story he told in Christian Woodfords video complete bullshit .. thats not cool

Dwayne Russell lol

I'll tell you something else that some haven't factored in - we only took 2 live picks 12 [Fogarty] and pick 39 [McPherson] into that draft if I recall right? So if we were to take him in the National Draft we would have had to use one of those picks?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back