Retired Luke Hodge (2017-2019)

Remove this Banner Ad

Is Luke Hodge a hindrance to Brisbane Lions' AFL development? Danny Frawley thinks so
The Brisbane Lions’ embarrassing defeat at the hands of Richmond on the weekend has put a big dent in the progress the club seemed to be making in 2018. The Tigers ripped the Lions to shreds all around the ground, but according to former St Kilda captain Danny Frawley there was one particular weakness the reigning premiers continued to exploit throughout the match – Luke Hodge.

“Watch the Richmond players with the ball around the centre just hold it up a little bit, they see Hodge directing traffic and they hit up his direct opponent,” Frawley told SEN Breakfast on Monday morning.

“I think Hodge is going okay, but I know for a fact sides now play through his man, that’s exactly what’s happening.” Frawley thinks it’s time for the former Hawthorn captain to walk away from playing and concentrate on coaching, the original expectation when Hodge announced his retirement last year before Brisbane shocked the football world by picking up the four-time premiership player in the trade period.

I think Hodge has to sit in the grandstand now,” Frawley said. “I think he’s got to put his hand up and play very rarely.

“He’s showing all the aggression and he’s doing all the leadership stuff, but his actual DNA of what he’s out in the field for is to defend his direct opponent first and that’s unfortunately not happening. “He’s got a bit of the ball and his stats look okay, but you’ve got to get behind-the-goal vision.”

Hodge is averaging 19 disposals and 4.5 marks a game for the Lions, but only 1.5 tackles.

No regrets on Hodge recruitment: Lions CEO
BRISBANE CEO Greg Swann has defended Luke Hodge amid criticism the veteran is a liability defensively in first season at the club. St Kilda legend Danny Frawley said following the Lions' 93-point loss to Richmond on the weekend opposition clubs were directing play through Hodge's opponent to exploit his defensive weaknesses.

Speaking on SEN on Tuesday morning, Swann said the four-time premiership Hawk had made a huge contribution on and off the field in his first few months at the club. "On the weekend we had a bad game, but I think the three weeks before that, Luke has been one our better players, and he did have a few (teammates) on the weekend that weren't very good," Swann said.

"We thought (the comments) were a bit premature saying he should retire after one game because I think that body of work he's put forward last month, I think he's more than held his own.

"The stuff that he does at training, the leadership group and everything else he does around the club, both on and off-field, the coaching stuff, you can't buy that. "We just think he adds so much more than being a player, (so) we have no regrets and don't think he should sit in the grandstand."

Addressing the 33-year-old's perceived defensive vulnerabilities, Swann said statistics supported his argument that Hodge was holding his own in the first four rounds of the season. "He's had nine one-on-one contests and he's lost two, so when the ball is in his area he's still really hard to beat, and that's up in the elite category," Swann said. "We've had 60 goals kicked against us (this season) and his direct opponent has kicked three.

"The week before we had Cedric Cox, Alex Witherden, Tom Cutler and Darcy Gardiner playing in the backline, so it's like he's leading the kindergarten down there against Port Adelaide." Asked if Hodge was due for a rest after playing the first four games of the season, Swann said the veteran's "body was feeling great" and he would rest when required.

"He and Chris Fagan talk about that all the time and (discuss) how he's feeling," Swann said. "We've been lucky we've had seven-day breaks and this week we have an eight-day break, so (a rest) will probably come about on a six-day break, but it's not premeditated. "That will happen, there's no doubt that will happen. "When he does have a week off, that allows the other blokes to grow and run (the backline) themselves."

Veteran not Lion down just yet
Don’t expect Luke Hodge to take Danny Frawley’s advice and hang up the boots any time soon. That was Hodge’s original plan when he ‘retired’ but Chris Fagan is determined to have the four-time premiership player out there, and the first three rounds of the season would suggest it’s working pretty well.

Fagan loves the idea of an ‘on-field coach’ to keep his young charges in line, and the way it’s going – the Richmond game aside – we could see a few other clubs taking a similar approach and recycling smart veterans to help rebuild teams full of kids.

The former Hawk’s happy with his game too and has no intention of walking away, although he looks like he’ll need a week off here and there through the season.

Criticism no issue for Lion-hearted Hodge
BRISBANE veteran Luke Hodge is refusing to get drawn into a public slanging match after he was criticised by Danny Frawley for his game last week and his position in the young Lions team. He is instead focused on bouncing back against the Suns.

A COUPLE of rules in sport never go out of style. One, you never write-off a champion. And two, a week is a long time in football. Brisbane Lions gun recruit Luke Hodge has another — don’t get involved in public slanging matches when there is a game of footy to win. Hodge found himself in the unfamiliar position of being the target of criticism following Brisbane’s shocking 93-point loss to Richmond last weekend.

Like a vast majority of his Brisbane teammates, Hodge had a day to forget at the MCG with commentator Danny Frawley saying the defender should “put his hand up and play very rarely” and that “Hodge has to sit in the grandstand now”. Lions CEO Greg Swann led the charge in strongly defending Hodge, while senior coach Chris Fagan, ruckman Stefan Martin and forward Allen Christensen also publicly rallied around the four-time premiership player. They all lauded his significant contribution to the club on and off the field since arriving at the Lions at the end of last year.

5055545ade377b3eea66a75170c4ee30

But the dual Norm Smith Medallist politely declined to weigh in, and has quickly moved on. All that matters to the Hall of Famer-in-waiting is Sunday’s QClash at the Gabba against the Gold Coast. “I’m just focused on my footy,’’ Hodge said. “The body is going all right. We’ve had three trips in the first four weeks and the body has held up. “I’m feeling OK and looking forward to the big QClash.’’

Hodge says Brisbane can turn around their fortunes quickly after a record-low 17-point return against the Tigers. “You hope games like last weekend don’t happen. It was terrible but the previous three weeks had been what we are about and that’s what we have focused on,’’ he said. “There’s been no point dwelling on last weekend. If it becomes a consistent theme, that’s when you worry but with emerging sides, you are going to have days like that.

35f4576abdf4e5d4c8fe1b89b7aa333e

“You have days when nothing goes right and your heads drop. You have to get back to what you have been building and remember that a week is a long time in football.’’ Hodge speaks from experience.

He vividly remembers being on the end of a hiding early in his stellar career with Hawthorn and said there was a lesson for Brisbane in how the Hawks dealt with it. “It was teeming with rain, and Port Adelaide beat us by 110 or 115 points. They smashed us,’’ he said.

“It was Clarko’s (senior coach Alastair Clarkson) first year and I was in my second or third season. The message from Clarko was similar to the one from Fages, which was don’t let this be a consistent trend. “Clarko said as long as we stick together and don’t go pointing fingers at each other, we can turn it around and there is something in that for us now.’’

Hodge absence all part of the plan for Lions
RESTING Luke Hodge for Saturday's trip to play Greater Western Sydney at Spotless Stadium was a plan hatched during the pre-season, says Brisbane coach Chris Fagan.

Hodge is one of two changes to the Lions team that lost by five points to Gold Coast last Sunday, with Ryan Bastinac (omitted) also making way for the returning Daniel Rich and debutant Oscar McInerney.

After playing the opening five rounds, it's time for 33-year-old Hodge to have a rest, says Fagan. "I talked to him at the start of the season about which would be the first week he'd have a rest," Fagan said. "We targeted this round, so we've executed the plan."

Fagan said the four-time premiership player would likely miss a game "every five to six weeks", but would be flexible as the season progressed.

Rich comes straight back into the senior team after damaging ligaments in his ankle in round one against St Kilda. The Lions veteran said it would be a good chance against the Giants for the young backline to implement what Hodge had taught them. "He's definitely taught us a lot in the small amount of time he's been here," Rich said. "It just gives us a chance to practice what he's taught us.

"We'd definitely rather be playing with him, but he's not going to be out there forever, so it's a good opportunity as a back unit to put into action what we've learnt off him so far."

Hodge, 33, played the first five rounds and had 19 disposals, six marks and three rebound 50s in the loss to Gold Coast last Sunday.

He was the subject of criticism the week before after the thumping at the hands of Richmond when a vast majority of his teammates also had days to forget.

Hodge said his body was holding together well after the first month of the home-and-away season and any rest would be more preventive than anything else. The two-time Norm Smith medallist was not expected to play all 22 games this season after coming out of a short-lived retirement to link with the Lions.
0db35ab9a89d1a0f43f09f5cc81511a8

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Five talking points: Brisbane v Hawthorn
3. Hodge haunts Hawks
Hodge was a talking point for this match ever since way back in October last year when he joined the Lions in a shock trade week move. After 305 games, four premierships and two Norm Smith medals with the Hawks, this was the first time Hodge lined up for the Lions against his former side. There wasn’t the fireworks many might have expected but Hodge continued his role as a steadying influence in the Lions’ back half, particularly lifting his intensity in the third quarter when the home side made its charge.

‘Marvellous’ Hodge goes ‘above and beyond’
BRISBANE coach Chris Fagan knew Luke Hodge would be a great addition at the Lions but he didn’t know that the four-time premiership winner and dual Norm Smith Medallist would be this great.

Luke Hodge Cup” between Brisbane and Hawthorn at the Gabba, Fagan said the Hawks legend had gone “above and beyond’’ expectations in his role as a virtual playing assistant coach.

Fagan coaxed Hodge out of a short-lived retirement after 305 games with the Hawks to help rebuild Brisbane because he was “the most selfless footballer that I’ve ever had anything to do with’’. “That’s the reason why he is here. That’s a quality that we want our group to have. They are developing that. They are not quite there yet,’’ Fagan said. “But to be able to learn from somebody who fully understands the need to sacrifice, sometimes your own talent and ability for the better of the team, that’s what he does and that’s what he brings.

f46ac7fcbbf97c0c4ee9b80b36279e0d

“He’s been marvellous at that in the time he’s been here.’’

Fagan said that selfless, team-first quality manifests itself in a number of ways, with the coaching staff and playing group all benefiting from Hodge’s experience forged from 16 seasons at the top level. “He willingly gives his time to others when he doesn’t need to do that, but he does it above and beyond what’s expected,’’ Fagan said. “He’s taken that role (playing assistant) to another level. He’ll sit down with players and watch their vision with them and go through it and educate them. “To the help he gives Murray Davis as the backline coach, to the help he gives the midfield coaches, to the little bits of advice he gives to the players on the track on how to position their body to get an advantage over an opposition player, he does it all.

“While he is not officially a part of the leadership group, he is in there as a mentor, and I reckon Dayne Zorko’s leadership has really come on this year as a result of some of the work he has done with Hodgey.

db8d4fdd925ef7e3bb5b9e2d1f86ea2d

“He doesn’t care who you are, if he thinks you need to hear something, he’ll say it in the best possible way and that’s being selfless too, because you are putting yourself at risk of becoming unpopular or upsetting someone. “He always acts in the best interests of the team. That’s why he was such a great captain at Hawthorn, because he couldn’t be questioned on that.’’

Fagan said he felt “a bit odd’’ the first time he came up against Hawthorn in Launceston last year after spending so long at the club but Hodge had shown no sign of nerves or tension this week.

Hodge: Taking on Hawks just like family feud
IT could be billed as the ‘Luke Hodge Cup’ when the Lions host Hawthorn at the Gabba on Sunday. But the man himself says it will be more like a family feud. After 305 games, 16 seasons, four premierships and two Norm Smith Medals with Hawthorn, the future AFL Hall-of-Famer says it will be akin to fighting a brother when his new club Brisbane take on the Hawks.

“Anyone who has siblings, you love them to death but compete that hard to try and beat them and it’s going to be the same on the weekend,’’ Hodge said. “All the blokes I’ve had so many great memories with over the years…on Sunday I’ll be trying everything I can to help our team get over the top. “As soon as the draw came out, I circled Round 9 and Round 17 straight away.’’

Hodge caught up with a number of his former teammates in Melbourne last week and the banter has continued throughout the week in the build-up to a game that many thought would never happen — Hawks legend Hodge playing against Hawthorn. Hodge retired at the end of the 2017 season but was quickly coaxed back into the playing ranks by former Hawks mentor and current Lions senior coach Chris Fagan.

He said the hectic travel schedule for Brisbane to open the season meant the clash had crept up on him.

0d74cfef9128d938099158519331e5a7

“I guess it’s been the same as most other weeks as weird as it sounds. I actually had a coffee and a feed with a couple of Hawks boys last week and they sort of mentioned that we are playing next week,’’ he said. “It caught me by surprise how fast it came around. Probably a good thing, I haven’t really over-thought it. “At this stage it feels the same… no doubt gameday it possibly could be a little bit different. Have to wait and see how the nerves are then. “My role up here is to help develop and educate the young, emerging side that we have. My mindset is that even though it us up against my old team, there’s no difference to what its been in the past.’’

76db79caf7dcbc831f507aad74b41449

Hodge said the way Brisbane’s young brigade have embraced advice from coaching staff and senior players had exceeded expectations since he arrived at the Gabba. He said some extra polish and composure under pressure were the missing ingredients for Brisbane who have more than halved their average losing margin from two years ago (60 points in 2016 to 24 points in 2018). Hodge does not expect Hawthorn to target him.

2456fb672e89454ec8bca3410e69d5fe

“I know their mindset going into every game is a pretty focussed one. There might be a few odd lippings here and there from the boys but their focus is on winning the game,’’ Hodge said. “I don’t reckon Clarko (Hawthorn senior coach Alastair Clarkson) would care too much. I’ve been around him when other people have left the footy club and his mindset is that ‘he is in a different jumper, he’s an opponent’.’’

Nine things we learned from round nine
1. Hodge isn't done, and the Lions are just getting started
There might have been some doubters in the first eight rounds, but Luke Hodge showed against his former club there's a bit of fight left in the old champion yet. The former Hawks skipper made an error on his right boot early in the first quarter, but after that he was magnificent – as was his new team against his old mates at Hawthorn. Finishing with 19 disposals and seven marks, the 33-year-old marshalled the Lions backline and kept Hawthorn to just six goals after quarter-time as Brisbane rampaged to a drought-breaking 56-point victory. Who knows how many games Hodge will play in his two-year contract, but one thing's for sure, don't think he's past it yet.
2005_Nine_Things_R9.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back