News Luke Hodge announces retirement after 2017 season

Remove this Banner Ad

illnino

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2005
Closeburn, QLD
AFL Club
Hawthorn
https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/cou...t/news-story/f69f7d355d4874d6b63087ae34ff7a2a

HAWTHORN champion Luke Hodge has confirmed he will retire at season’s end.

The four-time premiership great, who is into his 16th AFL season and will play his 300th game this weekend when the Hawks meet the Cats, confirmed the announcement on Monday.

“After the end of the season I will be hanging up the boots,” Hodge said.

A bloody good innings to say the least.

Mod note: Everyone change your avatars to a pic of Hodge as a show of respect for the great man.

Last edited by a moderator:

Absolute champion, love the bit where said "As a young fella, it's all about getting a game, as you get older it's seeing where the club is at." Or words to that effect. One of the all time greats of the club. Belongs in the the same sentence as Mathews, Mitchell, Tuck, Scott, Dunstall and Hudson.

First Hawks hero - Peter Knights

Childhood/teen hero - Dermott Brereton

Man Crush - Luke Hodge

Favourite Hawk player of all time. Inspirational, hard, leader, skilled, supreme player. Superstar player who bled for his team and sacrificed his own game to make his team better.

They don't come any better.

Here's to you Hodgey - 3 cheers mate - absolute champion.

I think it's fantastic to see Hodgey going out on his own terms and not hanging around a year too long.

In my 54 years, I have seen more skillful players at Hawthorn (we have been blessed), but to my mind we have
have never had a more courageous, inspirational and revered leader than Hodgey.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A great man! A great footballer! A great Leader! A great Hawthorn man! In time could also be a great coach!

Now the club needs a great win to celebrate the occasion of his 300th game.

Here's to you Luke Hodge.

Win this for Hodgey, and him not being there next year will be just a little easier.

I like to sum.up.Hodgey's greatness as follows:
During his career the Hawks played in five GFs for four wins. In two of those GFs we went in as clear underdogs, once deservedly so. In both of those GFs, Luke Hoge won the Norm Smith medal. And in one of those Norm Smith medal winning performances, he played with cracked ribs. That is all.

It will be sad to see him go but the time is right.

Hodge was the complete package, a footballers footballer. We couldn't have asked for a better leader.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back