Traded Luke Hodge [traded to Brisbane]

Remove this Banner Ad

Lose rockliff and add hodge. Just when the strength and conditioning team thought they could retire the skin calipers up steps a new player with a questionable BMI.

Lose rockliff and add hodge. Just when the strength and conditioning team thought they could retire the skin calipers up steps a new player with a questionable BMI.

Just another player that hasn't considered North as a destination club.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So rather than offer us pick 90 for Luke Hodge, they have instead decided to go to the pre-season draft with him.

I guess they have some big draft plans this year !

We're just high-rolling with these picks in the 40 that we want to keep active. :D

Heard from someone pretty high up in Brisbane management that Hodge is on a massive pay packet for the first year of the deal due to Brisbane needing to reach the salary cap floor due to Rocky leaving.

Brisbane (Fagan) decided that instead of blowing their salary cap space on someone like Motlop (who they would need to overpay for 4 or 5 years) that giving Hodge a last hurrah and gaining some leadership was the better option. By front loading the front end of the contract it allows them to keep good salary cap room to resign their gun interstate kids at a higher rate. (to offset the go home factor)

Was a very interesting dinner conversation. I wonder if other teams might look to do the same in the years to come.

Makes a lot of sense. I think he genuinely did retire but the Brisbane offer was too good to knock back - I certainly don’t begrudge the bloke looking after his wallet.

Fair argument that one season of Hodge around a developing team is worth a helluva lot more than an inconsistent B grader over a longer period.

Heard from someone pretty high up in Brisbane management that Hodge is on a massive pay packet for the first year of the deal due to Brisbane needing to reach the salary cap floor due to Rocky leaving.

Brisbane (Fagan) decided that instead of blowing their salary cap space on someone like Motlop (who they would need to overpay for 4 or 5 years) that giving Hodge a last hurrah and gaining some leadership was the better option. By front loading the front end of the contract it allows them to keep good salary cap room to resign their gun interstate kids at a higher rate. (to offset the go home factor)

Was a very interesting dinner conversation. I wonder if other teams might look to do the same in the years to come.

Makes sense to me.

We've seen Devon Smith leave GWS in part because he got overpaid last contract due to GWS needing to fill salary cap space and this time they asked him to take a pay cut. If Brisbane can use Hodge to keep Hipwood's and Andrews's and whoever else's salary on a steady upward trajectory instead of jumping really high really quickly it is a pretty sensible move.

Won’t be surprised if he does a Mitchell and retires by August.

Will still provide a lot of leadership and guidance for the Lions, but he made some very un-Hodge-like errors throughout this year and copped all sorts of criticism from opposition supporters about how cooked he was.

If the Lions can get 15 games from him in each of the two years they’ll have done pretty well, I reckon.

Won’t be surprised if he does a Mitchell and retires by August.

Will still provide a lot of leadership and guidance for the Lions, but he made some very un-Hodge-like errors throughout this year and copped all sorts of criticism from opposition supporters about how cooked he was.

If the Lions can get 15 games from him in each of the two years they’ll have done pretty well, I reckon.

Would think they are aiming to get him up for home games and for games at the MCG.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back