Luke Hodge v Chris Judd

Who would you pick first?

• Luke Hodge

Votes: 218 37.8%
  • Chris Judd

Votes: 359 62.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Judd = freak, once in a decade kind of player.
Hodge= great, reliable, 2-4 in every team kind of player.

I pick Judd

WOW....Wasn't aware that 2-4 blokes in every team has 2 Norm Smiths, 4 Premierships & are 3 time premiership captains.....Thanks Scoop.:thumbsu:

Ahh the old Chris Judd Myth. I love all these "not even close" comments. If I had the choice again of a young Hodge or Judd with the benefit of hindsight i'd take Hodge everytime

Judd at his best at West Coast was a Colossus and probably consistently gave more than what Hodge did, but his output dropped by 30% or more at Carlton - Which was sold as "Judd changing his game from outside to inside" despite averaging the same contested stats at West Coast yet not possessing the outside game which his reputation was equally as built on. Hodge had plenty of seasons in which according to stats and CD matched the default AA seasons of Judd's Carlton years, yet wasn't rewarded. Hodge's best games are easily, and I mean easily as good as Judds best games, and Hodge delivers them in finals

Meanwhile, whilst the parrots without eyeballs fawned over Judd and subconsciously tried to ignore all his drop punts that hit his teammates ankles (how many times can a commentator say "an uncharacteristic turnover by Judd" before it actually becomes "characteristic") and while Judd was showing his own magnificent leadership at Carlton by letting his shitfaced full forward get him in a headlock and noogie him at the Brownlow on national TV , Hodge dominated and lead his team to 3 premierships winning norm smiths.

Judd at Carlton was about as good as Priddis is now. I'll take Hodge every day of the week, and then some based on the impact that he has had in our club, and I couldn't give 2 hoots who disagrees.

WOW....Wasn't aware that 2-4 blokes in every team has 2 Norm Smiths, 4 Premierships & are 3 time premiership captains.....Thanks Scoop.:thumbsu:
please take premierships outta the equation, some of the greatest players ever never won a premiership.
All about luck, being in the right team at the right time.

please take premierships outta the equation, some of the greatest players ever never won a premiership.
All about luck, being in the right team at the right time.

Yeah...nah....You want me to deny historical reality & the biggest testing ground of them all, in order to accommodate your delusions.

Aint gonna happen....Hodge was a key to those 4 premierships....That's what makes him great.

Take your BS elsewhere.

Yeah...nah....You want me to deny historical reality & the biggest testing ground of them all, in order to accommodate your delusions.

Aint gonna happen....Hodge was a key to those 4 premierships....That's what makes him great.

Take your BS elsewhere.
Judd only got to play in 2 Grand Finals. One of them he won the Norm Smith in a losing side, the other one he was a premiership captain. So extrapolating that, it would not be unreasonable to say that had he played in 4 Grand Finals, he would be at least a 2 time premiership captain and a 2 time Norm Smith medallist, if not more.

It's not Judd's fault that his team didn't make more Grand Finals. Hell, he got them far closer to one than anybody else would have.

Judd only got to play in 2 Grand Finals. One of them he won the Norm Smith in a losing side, the other one he was a premiership captain. So extrapolating that, it would not be unreasonable to say that had he played in 4 Grand Finals, he would be at least a 2 time premiership captain and a 2 time Norm Smith medalist, if not more.

It's not Judd's fault that his team didn't make more Grand Finals. Hell, he got them far closer to one than anybody else would have.

LOL....Purely hypothetical....Lets deal in facts only.

Judd the West Coast superstar, was a shadow of his former self at Carlton....Hodge has had his number now, for nigh on a decade.

Judd only got to play in 2 Grand Finals. One of them he won the Norm Smith in a losing side, the other one he was a premiership captain. So extrapolating that, it would not be unreasonable to say that had he played in 4 Grand Finals, he would be at least a 2 time premiership captain and a 2 time Norm Smith medallist, if not more.

Pretty sure the entire NS panel that year were journalists.

Unbelievable Judd won best on that day. Hodge has played 4 better grand finals than that.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Hodge is an inspirational leader and a great player, but I chose Judd who at his best I rate as one of the best midfielders in the modern era an absolute champion.

Judd at Carlton was about as good as Priddis is now. I'll take Hodge every day of the week, and then some based on the impact that he has had in our club, and I couldn't give 2 hoots who disagrees.
So Priddis is better than Hodge?

Judd the West Coast superstar, was a shadow of his former self at Carlton....Hodge has had his number now, for nigh on a decade.
Lol. Hodge is a superstar, but he isnt and never has been on Judds level. The only player of the last 10 years who has been on his level or better is Ablett.

Doing a list of the top players if the last 15 years Judd sits easily at number 2. Hodge would be lucky to be in the top 5, more likely close to the 10 mark

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

I would say no. Your watered down version of Judd wasn't either. West Coast version was.
Priddis and "watered down" Judd were good enough to win a brownlow each, something Hodge has never and will never achieve.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Judd was better at his peak and peaked a lot earlier but Hodge has been more consistent for longer.

Could you please quantify this? Hodge's career has holes all over it consistency wise and despite Judd being retired a for nearly two whole seasons now, Hodge has still only played 5 more games overall. Consistent for longer? I don't see it. You're going to need to spell out your reasoning as supported by facts and figures etc.

EDIT: Cracked up at detox claiming Hodge as better than Judd at Carlton. Biggest rewrite of history on BF. No one would have claimed this with a straight face a few years ago while Judd was playing; and Hodge's best seasons were prior to that too. Those Hawk blokes really do turn it up for their man don't they? It's a pisser.

EDIT: Cracked up at detox claiming Hodge as better than Judd at Carlton. Biggest rewrite of history on BF. No one would have claimed this with a straight face a few years ago while Judd was playing; and Hodge's best seasons were prior to that too. Those Hawk blokes really do turn it up for their man don't they? It's a pisser.

Hodge's 2010 season would probably be on par with Judds 2011 season at Carlton. However that was Judds only outstanding season at Carlton. Even when he won the Brownlow, people were complaining about him even making that AA team on the bench, before the brownlow was even held. He was a very good clearance player, thats it. Suspect footskills, limited outside game. Still obviously a gun player, but nowhere near the esteem as he is held.

Meanwhile Hodge kept up his strong form, playing as a utility all over the field, performing extremely well even after Judd was finished and as always performing ridiculously well in finals.

Judd was a fantastic player and his West Coast form was amazing, but despite the media's bias adoration for him he never had the same impact at Carlton. If we landed Judd when Carlton did and traded Hodge to west coast, with benefit of hindsight, knowing all things considered what Hodge as done in that time for our club, I would 100% consider that trade a failure.

Priddis and "watered down" Judd were good enough to win a brownlow each, something Hodge has never and will never achieve.

Whats your point?

The 3 best players of all time do not have Brownlow. Plus Judd(2010) and Priddis were benefits of circumstance. Being the single stand out midfielder in a middle of the road team. Same as Jobe. Hard to win in a bottom team who don't win much, or a top team with multiple stand out midfielders. Hodge is also a utility.

On the flipside, there are more triple-Brownlow medalists than there are dual norm smith medalists, and Priddis and Judd will never be dual norm smith recipients either. But like your original point, Its irrelevant.

Hodge's 2010 season would probably be on par with Judds 2011 season at Carlton. However that was Judds only outstanding season at Carlton. Even when he won the Brownlow, people were complaining about him even making that AA team on the bench ...

Actually not that many were. That was something that popped up more after he snagged the Brownlow. Judd was top 5 midfielder in MVP and AFLCA award voting that season. Some reckoned he should've had Montagna's place in the starting 18 - but unsurprising to see a Hawk poster run with the former and ignore the latter. It's a furphy now to claim he was undeserving of AA that year as fact. What else would you expect from a top 5 rated mid?

Judd was a four time All Australian at Carlton, more than Hodge has had his entire career. You can ramble on about "outstanding" whatever, it's clear that you underrate the guy's performance while at the Blues.

Meanwhile Hodge kept up his strong form, playing as a utility all over the field, performing extremely well even after Judd was finished and as always performing ridiculously well in finals.

Hodge was all but cooked by the end of 2012. He recovered to put out some fine form for the next three seasons, while Judd dropped and retired, but it's not like Hodge was putting in his career best form. The performance of his team over that period has elevated perceptions of his form over this time.

Hodge was all but cooked by the end of 2012. He recovered to put out some fine form for the next three seasons, while Judd dropped and retired, but it's not like Hodge was putting in his career best form. The performance of his team over that period has elevated perceptions of his form over this time.

Nowhere near being cooked, he was just carrying injuries, or missing games through injury in that year. If it was all about his team's form, then his form would barely have improved over the latter years.

No Brownlow or MVP for Hodge?

Hodge is an A grade loose man in defence and was never better than a B+ mid.

Hodge is a better bloke like I said previously he will look at the person in the eye before he roughs them up. Judd resorts to poking someone in the eyeball before making his move.

Luke Hodge drove a car drunk only weeks after his assistant coaches son was killed in a drink driving episode in which he attended the funeral, please stop with this "he is a good bloke" business.

Judds incidents were due to the frustration of taggers.....something Hodge has never had to worry about.

Whats your point?

The 3 best players of all time do not have Brownlow. Plus Judd(2010) and Priddis were benefits of circumstance. Being the single stand out midfielder in a middle of the road team. Same as Jobe. Hard to win in a bottom team who don't win much, or a top team with multiple stand out midfielders. Hodge is also a utility.

On the flipside, there are more triple-Brownlow medalists than there are dual norm smith medalists, and Priddis and Judd will never be dual norm smith recipients either. But like your original point, Its irrelevant.
Even less people have won a norm smith in a losing team.

I guess what I'm trying to say with all this is that Judd is better than Hodge at footy.

Nowhere near being cooked, he was just carrying injuries, or missing games through injury in that year. If it was all about his team's form, then his form would barely have improved over the latter years.

Nah. That was definitely a question being asked of him by many at the end of 2012. Good for him he turned it around and put in some good years. Not his best years, but good ones all the same. I do think though, that his team's success has made those years look better to some than they really are in isolation.

Back