Luke Hodge vs the Balding Flog - Is There a Bigger Knob than Damien Barrett?

Remove this Banner Ad

Shadow89

Cancelled
10k Posts AFL Fantasy Div 6+ Winner 2021
Feb 20, 2018
In light of the media spat between Hodge and Barrett, thought I'd ask people's thoughts on who the biggest 'knob' (as Hodge so eloquently put it) in the AFL media is? Kane Cornes comes to mind, as does Tom Browne and Mark 'Robbo' Robinson, but after yesterdays comments, Barrett has elevated himself head and shoulders above the rest of them.

I'm sure this has been done before, but I don't think I've ever seen incendiary comments like what Barrett put up in his 'if/then' column on Friday. Here's a snippet of the worst of them:

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-04-19/sliding-doors-round-five

"If - Hodgey thinks it is a good idea to combine a well-paid media contract with a football one and provide commentary during an actual game of football ...

Then - he might want to re-think it. Talking dribble within-match adds absolutely nothing to the broadcast, nor his now back-to-reality and consecutive-week thrashed team. Focus on your footy club, the media deals can be pursued when you're retired."

"If - your team kicks seven goals in an entire game of football ...

Then - yeah, we get it, Ross, why you're musing about playing a guy capable of snagging 60 goals in a season in a defensive role this week. Makes perfect sense to play Jesse Hogan down back ..."

"If - you want to see how to waste at least $400,000 - and quite possibly a whole lot more than that to come ...

Then - we present the no-due-diligence recruitment of Hannebery. On $800K a year, and now admitting at least the first half of 2019 is a write-off. Still seeking proper admission for why he was suddenly removed from the leadership group, too."

"If - you keep providing warnings for breaches of the 6-6-6 requirements after a goal ...

Then - there will continue to be deliberate breaches. Get. Rid. Of. The. Warnings."

Now while I agree with some of the sentiments (Hogan and Hanneberry, in some essence), I've never seen an article that's been quite so incendiary as this one. Reeks of someone who got rejected at the bar last night and sat down behind his computer and took it out on others.

I've always thought Barrett pushed things a bit with some of his comments, but this week, I just can't see how he keeps getting so many segments and pieces, when he deliberately fans the flames of discord between players and the media.

Also, the last person you want to provoke is Hodge, as Xavier Ellis hilariously pointed out on twitter.

Thoughts?

Barrett would have to be the most disliked person in the football industry. I’m not sure how he has survived. He’s like a cockroach surviving a nuclear holocaust.
Seems to be the kind of bloke that would kiss the right peoples ass to keep getting his gigs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Barrett (And virtually any journo for that matter) and good for footy should never be used in the same sentence.
Barrett - good for footy. You know its true. Generating interest, and footy fan distemper.

Seems to be the kind of bloke that would kiss the right peoples ass to keep getting his gigs.

Seems to be the type of campaigner that doesn’t have the ability to investigate, analyse & report on a well thought out footy story. Instead, he is only capable of starting ill informed rumours with the hope he gets one correct. He has built his brand on being negative & never writes anything positive. He’s bad for footy & I can’t understand how he still holds a job in the industry.

Read this tweet. Also read the article.
DB needs to do a bit of research on hodgey.
He was a little harsh on hodgey.

For someone who is not on TV for his looks or because he was a champion past player he is actually remarkably inarticulate. Everything he says is rapid fire word salad.

He’s a bottom feeding, conniving, lying charlatan who conflates his opinion with objective fact and can’t string a sentence together.

It’s astonishing he has a gig on TV or in any other media. Has photos of very powerful people in an orgy with goats clearly.

Sliding Doors continues to mystify. It’s never had a single sliding door in it. Why? If he wants a column to talk s**t then just do one. Why the failed attempts to shoehorn it into this unsuitable “sliding doors” format? It only serves to showcase the idiocy of the format over the idiocy of the drivel being spoken.

For someone who is not on TV for his looks or because he was a champion past player he is actually remarkably inarticulate. Everything he says is rapid fire word salad.

He’s a bottom feeding, conniving, lying charlatan who conflates his opinion with objective fact and can’t string a sentence together.

It’s astonishing he has a gig on TV or in any other media. Has photos of very powerful people in an orgy with goats clearly.
Have seen far worse. Tom browne and sam mcclure need to also pull their heads in a bit and stop spreading bullshit news.
DB isn't too bad. But this article of his stunk like one of sam newman's curry farts.

As much as it pains me to say it, Barrett was right on the money with his comment about Hodge ...

... players being interviewed during play during a H&A game is a daft idea. Even Hodge himself was clearly thinking that at one stage. Surprised that the Lions even allowed it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back