Traded Luke Jackson [Traded with #44 and #67 to Fremantle for #13, F1 and F2]

Remove this Banner Ad

That is exactly what Freo will be hoping but it is all hopes and dreams

The list of mobile talls who look set to dominate the comp in their first few years but just level out to GOP level players ( Jeff White , Kruezer , Rhys Stanley , Daniel Bandy Michael Gardiner etc ) or even worse ( Tom Boyd , Kirk Tippett , Jon Patton , Sam Day )

I’d say it’s 40/60 against that Jackson hits the top of his potential range

2 x 1sts and 800k a year is a pretty big punt as it is
Some pretty good rucks on that list, who went on to have decent careers. But were they even thought of as anything but rucks? I can remember talk of Stanley as a ruck/forward but no one thought he’d be a game changer. Expectations on White and Kreuzer to be better than they were as rucks who did more, but still rucks.

Tippett was a legit gun. Boyd had the talent. Patton never was a great athlete and had injuries. Day was probably over drafted due to athleticism but he also got gold coasted.

There’s definitely safer ways to spend picks but worse case scenario Jackson is at least a handy ruck. Best case scenario is a completely game changing player.

If a gun key forward or a game breaking mid were available you’d trade for them, but considering they aren’t and you’ve got most positions covered it well worth the gamble of 2 mediocre first rounders.

I am one of those footy fans who still believes a team can function with two talented ruckman.

Darcy is a very good tap ruckman and I think having Jackson as support will actually help him and make him become even a better player..

Provided they stay healthy, I have Freo in my way too soon to predict top 4 for next season with Jackson (despite the players they are losing)

Very confident Jackson will be an absolute superstar for Fremantle.

Nah, can’t lose Mundy, Lobb, Logue, Acres from the best 22 and improve.

Losing depth like Meek and Tucker who both played a reasonable amount of game time too, won’t help.

We are going into 2023 with one of the youngest, if not the youngest list in the AFL. If you look at 2022 averages we are going to be considerably younger having retired the 87 year old David Mundy. Drops our average age a lot.

Nah, can’t lose Mundy, Lobb, Logue, Acres from the best 22 and improve.

Losing depth like Meek and Tucker who both played a reasonable amount of game time too, won’t help.

We are going into 2023 with one of the youngest, if not the youngest list in the AFL. If you look at 2022 averages we are going to be considerably younger having retired the 87 year old David Mundy. Drops our average age a lot.

Agreed. Feel Freo will wobble a bit next season with so many changes and start climbinginto contention in 2024. Pretty much 6 regular best 22 players could be turned over and thenew guys need time to gel and learn the Freo game plan and their team mates.

Article by Jay Clark in the herald sun today said Freo are looking to trade their first this year up to Port Adelaide’s pick 8, which would be sent on with next years future first for Jackson.
So two top 10 picks for an ooc player based on "potential". If we pay that much then everyone involved in that deal deserves to be sacked.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He got drafted in a fever
Earlier than Hayden Young
When we were rucking Luke Jackson
We won the flag in 21
Now we're trading Luke Jackson
We want two early first rounds
Watch out Luke Jackson
Don't let Freo down!
#balladofLukeJackson

Maybe a F2 at minimum.

Which means we're giving up 13, F1, F2, for an ooc player...
Well maybe it's good time for Freo fans to reflect on their ability to analyse and rate players. The 2 late firsts talk was nonsense. Like I said time and time and time again, late firsts are glorified 2nd round picks. You're not going to get Jackson by coughing up picks in the teens.

Article by Jay Clark in the herald sun today said Freo are looking to trade their first this year up to Port Adelaide’s pick 8, which would be sent on with next years future first for Jackson.
With all due respect to Jay Clark, is he "in the know" or is he just speculating a way for Freo to get a top 10 pick. I don't see why Freo should have to come to the table for two different clubs for an out of contract player.

Jackson is one of the hardest players to value that I can remember.

Fantastic last year, especially for his age - how many ruckmen play well before age 24? - but seemingly a shadow of that this year. On top of that, he plays a position that can often be filled with moneyball-style players.

Last year you could have just about swapped him for the #1 pick. This year...?

With all due respect to Jay Clark, is he "in the know" or is he just speculating a way for Freo to get a top 10 pick. I don't see why Freo should have to come to the table for two different clubs for an out of contract player.

He used to be ‘in the know’ with mfc, but believe his sources left the club a year or two ago.

Edit - speculating his sources left the club - has been a few years since he dropped something on the money about the mfc

Last edited:
Well maybe it's good time for Freo fans to reflect on their ability to analyse and rate players. The 2 late firsts talk was nonsense. Like I said time and time and time again, late firsts are glorified 2nd round picks. You're not going to get Jackson by coughing up picks in the teens.

How about two early seconds? After all they're just vilified first round picks.

Sure...and you get two players to have a crack at that potential not one, you gronk
So you're saying that Freo are offering 900k+ over 7 years (or whatever it is) for a guy that has shown no more than an unproven 18 year old draftee? Jackson is proven talent + potential. Not just potential.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back