Traded Luke Jackson [Traded with #44 and #67 to Fremantle for #13, F1 and F2]

Remove this Banner Ad

What exactly did Jackson need to do to prove himself over last 3 years. He’s a 199cm ruckman who has shown in the limited opportunities as sole ruck that’s his best spot. I agree he could have stints in the middle as an inside mid. He is a natural ball winner and I thought Goodwin missed a trick not trying him in there with Gawn from time to time. But he’ll be a gun ruck. He’s literally just turned 21!

I would suggest some in this thread need to settle down, a long way to go with trade week (month?). It's likely the deal can't get done until other pieces are put in place first.

Freo want 13 and F1
Melb want 7ish and F1

I think history will show that it will be done for something in the middle, ie.

7ish and F1 with something coming back to Freo OR
13 and F1 + later round pick

Last edited:
true. but that's because you've restricted your thinking. Maybe Jackson could be the afl's first 199cm inside mid. He has those abilities. Ashcroft will only ever be a run of the mill midfielder. Jackson could be anything. Wce or freo are paying for elements of potential but also paying from what they've already seen. which is remarkable for a guy so young.
Bit harsh on Ashcroft there - poor dude hasn't played a game yet. I'll reserve judgement though, as you seem to be pretty good an valuing players.

1665054240924.png

I would suggest some in this thread need to settle down, a long way to go with trade week (month?). It's likely the deal can't get done until other pieces are put in place first.

Freo want 13 and F1
Melb want 7ish and F1

I think history will show that it will be done for something in the middle, ie.

7ish and F1 with something coming back to Freo
13 and F1 + later round pick
What about lots more moving parts just for the spectacle? This is going on film after all.

13, F1, F2, 76 for Jackson, 27, a F4 and a banana.

Appreciate the correction. yeah Jackson was taken at pick 3. After winning the RS and producing at a high level in 2021, he's clearly worth more than pick 2 alone ,if contracted.
If Contracted.

That’s the main point.

I am pretty sure Jackson’s performance will get better but we don’t know that.

A lot of young players has started out well but his performances are not AA.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Appreciate the correction. yeah Jackson was taken at pick 3. After winning the RS and producing at a high level in 2021, he's clearly worth more than pick 2 alone ,if contracted.
HPN rates his future output as the equivalent of what the average pick 13 and 14 output would be. I say average to let you know that their calculations include the hits and misses.

So they independently value him as 13 and 14. If he's contracted Melbourne could reject any offer they didn't like so it's hard to say how much over 13 or 14 would be needed to satisfy them. I guess it would depend on the desperation of the buyer.

That brings us to the fact that he is uncontacted. It follows that the buyer offering more than 13 and 14 would be overpaying. In fact, making a fair offer is in fact quite generous.

I
I agree. but at least he has started well. Draft picks are far more speculative.
They are.

More speculative than young players 1-4 years.

The reality is that picks are overrated but that’s how the market is.

Sure picks 13 and F1 is unders but he is uncontracted and the threat of the preseason draft is in the back of the minds of all parties.

Anyway see what happens.

They are.

More speculative than young players 1-4 years.

The reality is that picks are overrated but that’s how the market is.

Sure picks 13 and F1 is unders but he is uncontracted and the threat of the preseason draft is in the back of the minds of all parties.

Anyway see what happens.
I think Melbourne will eventually cave in.

But this is why the points system is flawed. The quality of the picks in the top 5 is exponentially better than other first rounders.

for example, what would you prefer:
Pick 1? or Pick 13,15 & 25? According to the draft pick points calculator theyre the same but at the end of the day Pick 1 gives you access to elite talent, option 2 gives you none.

Let me think..maybe because he's 20. A bit rich to focus on Jackson's 2022 when Sean Darcy was worse.
I think when evaluating Jackson's worth in 2022 you can't say how well he performed in 2021, say how he won the rising star in 2021 without at least mentioning his 2022 performance. It is disingenuous.
And your counter argument as to why Jackson's 2022 performance should not be used in assessing his worth has something to do with how well Sean Darcy played.

I think Melbourne will eventually cave in.

But this is why the points system is flawed. The quality of the picks in the top 5 is exponentially better than other first rounders.

for example, what would you prefer:
Pick 1? or Pick 13,15 & 25? According to the draft pick points calculator theyre the same but at the end of the day Pick 1 gives you access to elite talent, option 2 gives you none.
Points is flawed and I wish people stop using it.

Top picks are 30-50% undervalued.

Pick 1 should be 4000-4500 points and not 3000.

Why no mention of his efforts in 2022? Surely his latest year has more relevance to his current worth.
Every Freo supporter acting like he was absolute garbage this year. This year compared to 2021 he almost doubled per game his tackles, centre clearances, inside 50s, whilst also making great improvements in stoppage clearances, intercepts, and cutting down on turnovers. It might be irrelevant because he's going to be playing with Darcy but his one game playing as sole ruck vs Brisbane he was one of our best players with 21 touches and 9 tackles showcasing the strides he has made. He was battling a knee injury in the second half of the year and the shorter pre season combined with the loss of our fitness boss lead to a lot of our players running out of gas by the end of the year which I believe Jacko was a culprit of.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back