Traded Luke Jackson [Traded with #44 and #67 to Fremantle for #13, F1 and F2]

Remove this Banner Ad

Original OP by the Ziebull:

WA boy and looking at the out of contract players this guy might rival Walsh in terms of trade currency needed despite only being in his second year and coming off his rookie contact at years end

One to watch as the season goes

Last edited:

Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Melbourne would be wanting to get him signed away - which I am sure they are working on.

If he went back to WA, since the WA clubs don't bid against each other (you never hear them sook how they get players cheaper in their never ending poor us posting), Melbourne would not get a great deal for him.

I would also be very wary of picking up a player who won a flag in his rookie contract and then came home for the moolah.

HBFlanker

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 23, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
What a masterstroke from Melbourne drafting this bloke, even though they knew he wasnt going to be the number one ruck in front of Max in the short or medium term, He was good enough that he forced his way in to the side, and now his value is sky high.

West coast should move heaven and earth for him.

Best player from that draft by an absolute mile so far.

What a masterstroke from Melbourne drafting this bloke, even though they knew he wasnt going to be the number one ruck in front of Max in the short or medium term, He was good enough that he forced his way in to the side, and now his value is sky high.

West coast should move heaven and earth for him.

Best player from that draft by an absolute mile so far.
By an absolute mile is slightly Demon coloured lenses given some of the other performers in that top 10 (Serong goes alright)

I do agree with the above that if he did want to head home then WA clubs should be weary, has the makings of someone getting extorted

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
IF one of the WA team have a very bad year and he is OOC then it might be interesting times. Best for Melb to get him signed .. 3 year min should be no issue and for the player , as long as he is happy in melb there is no reason not to, MFC look on the verge of a 3 to 4 year period of success.. I wonder how it worked out for Des Headland... was he happy with the move. Play 3 or 4 years at the MCG , and then see how things pan out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFDogs

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I always find it funny when a player playing interstate is OOC people only talk about what the teams from their home state could give up for him. Goes to show how big homesickness is in the AFL (Not saying Luke is homesick either).

I mean a club like Hawthorn, Brisbane or even Port could make a huge play for him.

I reckon west coast would be the ones throwing the kitchen sink over freo with Nic Nat getting on
They have Bailey Williams they're grooming. Freo have Sean Darcy.

Even if Jackson decided to leave (and players rarely leave clubs in their window) I don't think either WA team would have the draft capital.

HBFlanker

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 23, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
By an absolute mile is slightly Demon coloured lenses given some of the other performers in that top 10 (Serong goes alright)

I do agree with the above that if he did want to head home then WA clubs should be weary, has the makings of someone getting extorted

He's a premiership player, and won the riding star in a premiership year.

Serong is a gun, but every club in the land is taking Jackson before Serong.

HBFlanker

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 23, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
They have Bailey Williams they're grooming. Freo have Sean Darcy.

Even if Jackson decided to leave (and players rarely leave clubs in their window) I don't think either WA team would have the draft capital.

West coast will be bottom 4 (IMO) for the next couple of years. A top 4 draft pick is significant capital.

West Coast would also happily move on a high pick if there are no WA boys at the top of the draft.

He's a premiership player, and won the riding star in a premiership year.

Serong is a gun, but every club in the land is taking Jackson before Serong.
Premiership player means nothing, dont be that guy that thinks his players are now worth twice as much because they won a flag.

Possibly every club would take Jackson before Serong, but that wasnt your original post.

In trying to gauge what Jackson would be worth, I wonder who would be worth more, Jackson or Bing. It might be close enough that it'd be down to the buying clubs preferences. Freo have Darcy for the next 10 years so Jackson is only valuable as Fwd/Ruck and King would be worth more (to be clear, we arent getting King).

Probably regardless, both would be maxed out in that you'd need to give two first round picks (with one of them guaranteed top 10) and possibly a sweetner on top, depending on the value of the firsts

IF one of the WA team have a very bad year and he is OOC then it might be interesting times. Best for Melb to get him signed .. 3 year min should be no issue and for the player , as long as he is happy in melb there is no reason not to, MFC look on the verge of a 3 to 4 year period of success.. I wonder how it worked out for Des Headland... was he happy with the move. Play 3 or 4 years at the MCG , and then see how things pan out.

Looking at the life Des lives now and what moving back to WA did to assist him in setting up "life after footy" i'd say he is very happy with his decision.

Sphynx

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Premiership player means nothing, dont be that guy that thinks his players are now worth twice as much because they won a flag.

Possibly every club would take Jackson before Serong, but that wasnt your original post.

In trying to gauge what Jackson would be worth, I wonder who would be worth more, Jackson or Bing. It might be close enough that it'd be down to the buying clubs preferences. Freo have Darcy for the next 10 years so Jackson is only valuable as Fwd/Ruck and King would be worth more (to be clear, we arent getting King).

Probably regardless, both would be maxed out in that you'd need to give two first round picks (with one of them guaranteed top 10) and possibly a sweetner on top, depending on the value of the firsts

Serong isn’t worth close to that yet, see the Cerra trade for his approx value.

Jackson probably would get what you said.

Serong isn’t worth close to that yet, see the Cerra trade for his approx value.

Jackson probably would get what you said.
Yeah, for better or worse, I dont think he's worth the same in trade either. My original nitpick is the same though where they said Jackson is the best performed by a mile, which is not true, especially considering A LOT of Jacksons value is still potential based, and not on actual output IMO (but the potential is best player in comp potential).

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Winning a premiership again could make things interesting.

Does he do a Buddy and sign on a massive long-term contract following B2B flags?

Can see him heading back to WA to take up an offer from the Eagles.

adonski

All Australian
Sep 27, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
Hope the eagles don't sell the farm but sell the PLANTATION for wacko Jacko and dee's can finally field a team exclusively of first round picks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back