List Mgmt. Luke Jackson - Yay or Nay?

Do you want to pay the high price tag for Luke Jackson?

• YAY

• NAY

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh man for anyone not around here way back in 08 the melts on the draft day thread over that were epic.

I think it may have been ImperialPurple that pointed out that if it was Walters taken at 21 and Ballantyne at 53 would people be happy? If so then what's the difference.

Yes I remember the drama well. I don't post in game day style threads but I was definitely annoyed thinking we'd missed out on Walters. As soon as we grabbed him at 53 it didn't matter at all anymore.

I couldn't believe people were still upset even when we had both. If it was IP, she was right. 21 for Sonny and then 53 for Ballas would've been treated with celebration, we just did it the other way around.

That was the year I stopped reading the draft threads. From what I hear the thread where we took Fyfe instead of Aaron Black was just as vitriolic, I'm glad I didn't see that one. :D

Last edited:
Doedee wasn't just a reach, he was a full on bolter

Amiss was a reach as he was taken 5-10 picks earlier than expected initially (obvs things changed when we indicated we wanted a forward)

Earlier in the draft means less pick gap for a "reach" to be had
You're still copping it for this but I'm gonna chime in and say that, from memory, you're right about him being a slight reach.

Him being a reach won't matter in the end though because Amiss is clearly quality.

You're still copping it for this but I'm gonna chime in and say that, from memory, you're right about him being a slight reach.

Him being a reach won't matter in the end though because Amiss is clearly quality.
Interesting. Can you please explain what a 'slight reach' is, and how you categorise it?

Rated by who? A media outlets 'draft guru' or actual talent scouts employed by AFL clubs?

I'd take our mate Walls over Knightmare
All of the above sourced into a list based on the gist of the draft time

I can't believe how many people are against this, do you all just clock off at the end of season and not stick around for draft time usually???

This is a legit thing that happens 😂 and it's exactly how it played out last year

I can't believe how many people are against this, do you all just clock off at the end of season and not stick around for draft time usually???

This is a legit thing that happens 😂 and it's exactly how it played out last year

People are having an issue with the opinion, even the collective opinion, of online talent pundits and journalists being used as an objective measure of where teams are ranking players - in order to have that used to determine if a player was taken earlier or later than the average actual AFL recruiting staff ranked them.

It's all we have, but it's not good. We barely have the data on the combine, we barely have rumours about interviews.

I'd like it if the final rankings from all the clubs could be put together and averaged into a recruiters ranking - but the only real measure we have of a player's value or ranking against the others of the draft class is the draft itself.

Within 3 picks of where he was rated in september and stayed is not a reach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've never sat on the longue and put any thought into how I'd define a 'slight reach.' In terms of drafting.
Ok, but that is what you posted. I assumed it was some sort of qualifier.

The meaninglessness in the idea of 'reaching' is that the people who do the drafting are the only relevant markers of individual players rankings. And they're not telling.

There may be some outside of that select group of individuals who have an insight into some clubs, but most are throwing the bones of dead animals up in the air and seeing how the land to arrive at a media statement designed to get clicks. Then in the last couple of days before the draft they'll all magically adjust their predictions against what Twomey predicts.

But the ignorance of many is astounding. The recent article about Hagan highlighting Brisbane and GWS having picks in the range to grab him is a cracker of an example.

I think pre-covid most clubs top 20 would have been similar, but in 2021 and 2022 there's some real opportunities for recruiters and no such thing as a "reach" this year.

Yeah the strategy stuff is fascinating to me. I even enjoyed the little vignette of the Carlton draft room during the Stocker trade/draft. Really interesting. As a guy who spends a lot of time with people about how to think through things and judges them on the logic they used as much as the results they got I was amazed at how poorly thought out their approach was but so intrigued at listening to them bid against themselves. What doesn't surprise me is the fact Silvagni doesn't have a gig anymore. In terms of reasoning and a strong thread in the strategy behind the decisions, he sowed in that clip alone in anything strategic, he's the mental equivalent of a chicken trying to get a tennis ball pregnant.

Getting back to us though. What I'd love to know, and what we'll never get close to knowing is if Wallsy had been offered a choice between Amiss, JVR and Johnson in exchange for picks 6, 8 & 23 or the haul we ended up with, which one he'd have taken. Even after the fact I'm not sure which one I prefer.

Anyway, back to the OP - Jackson at the price we paid - it's a Yay from me.
All I can remember from that clip was the guy eating the lollies 😂

Back