Traded Luke Jackson [Traded with #44 and #67 to Fremantle for #13, F1 and F2]

Remove this Banner Ad

If Jackson wanted to come back to WA, what do Eagles have to trade with, since they can't trade their first round pick this year?
From my understanding, teams must use 2 first round picks over a 4 year rolling period, and Eagles only did that for the first time last year over the past 3 years

They could trade next year's pick, and could trade players/other picks for another first rounder this year, but I can't see how they would accomplish that?

First of all. it wouldn't go like that. he'd say he wants to go to a WA club, and we'll say we can only deal with WCE as freo don't have the currency. Same as cerra who wanted to come to melbourne.

No idea why Lobb is being discussed. we don't want him.
Really is that how it works i must of missed the Tim Kelly part of choosing WC when Freo had better trade assets than WC to give Geelong.

No offence but don't you think you are over valuing Jackson here. You are paying for potential, not what he is now. I agree he's worth 2 first rounders but realistically a team can only give the best that they can.
Potential is what you're paying for. Same with Horne-Francis. It's why these guys are worth so much.

Jackson is already a very good player so it's not pure potential but there's not much of a risk. His upside is higher than almost any other player in the afl. If you want that potential, you gotta pay up.

Also, if Angus Brayshaw goes to Freo, we'd get a first rounder from him too. He's in the AA squad most likely right now and is only 26. So that's a 1st rounder, making the offer for Jackson literally impossible if Brayshaw wants to join his brother at freo.

Also, if Angus Brayshaw goes to Freo, we'd get a first rounder from him too. He's in the AA squad most likely right now and is only 26. So that's a 1st rounder, making the offer for Jackson literally impossible if Brayshaw wants to join his brother at freo.
It’s all very warm and fuzzy that Brayshaw is heavily linked to Freo and to play alongside his brother, but the bigger question should be why? Why have Melbourne lowballed a great servant of the club and why are they pushing him out?

As for Jackson, Jeff White says hi.

If Jackson wanted to come back to WA, what do Eagles have to trade with, since they can't trade their first round pick this year?
From my understanding, teams must use 2 first round picks over a 4 year rolling period, and Eagles only did that for the first time last year over the past 3 years

They could trade next year's pick, and could trade players/other picks for another first rounder this year, but I can't see how they would accomplish that?

The AFL's rules are bit of a joke. I've seen it reported that you can only trade a future first if you have satisfied the 2 in 4 rule, and I've seen it reported that unless you have satisfied the 2 in 4 rule you can't trade any first round pick.

I know the rules are there to stop teams ending up in LA Lakers/Clippers territory but this is the WC reality:

2018: traded pick 23 for assets in the 2017 draft including picks 21 and 26, used pick 28
2019: traded pick 16
2020: traded pick 18 (from the previous year)
2021: used pick 14

If we're banned from trading our pick this year that's a pretty dumb system, given trade week occurs before the draft. And you can live trade picks anyway.

More than happy to not be able to trade our 2023 pick this year based on 2018-21 drafting.

We're odds on for pick 1 or 2 at the minute. Predictably this thread has gone full BigFooty and Jackson is worth more than Chris Judd. If given the opportunity we trade a top 2 pick and a future first (or more) for an out of contract ruckman we have rocks in our heads.

The AFL's rules are bit of a joke. I've seen it reported that you can only trade a future first if you have satisfied the 2 in 4 rule, and I've seen it reported that unless you have satisfied the 2 in 4 rule you can't trade any first round pick.

I know the rules are there to stop teams ending up in LA Lakers/Clippers territory but this is the WC reality:

2018: traded pick 23 for assets in the 2017 draft including picks 21 and 26, used pick 28

If we're banned from trading our pick this year that's a pretty dumb system, given trade week occurs before the draft. And you can live trade picks anyway.

More than happy to not be able to trade our 2023 pick this year based on 2018-21 drafting.

We're odds on for pick 1 or 2 at the minute. Predictably this thread has gone full BigFooty and Jackson is worth more than Chris Judd. If given the opportunity we trade a top 2 pick and a future first (or more) for an out of contract ruckman we have rocks in our heads.
that's his value.

It’s all very warm and fuzzy that Brayshaw is heavily linked to Freo and to play alongside his brother, but the bigger question should be why? Why have Melbourne lowballed a great servant of the club and why are they pushing him out?

As for Jackson, Jeff White says hi.
you know there's a salary cap yeah? You know we have others we need to pay like Petracca, Gawn, Oliver, May and Lever yeah?

Strange post.

And why is Brayshaw settled in WA and Jackson not settled in Melbourne?

Jackson has already said he prefers melbourne to perth in a podcast.
That’s a fair question.

Answer; he’s not. Jackson is not going to come out on a podcast during contract negotiations and say “I like Melbourne but Perth is home, time to head back”

Jackson knocked back a 5-6 year deal pre finals last year. Then knocked back a simple 2 year extension the start of the year while on a extended break in Perth. Returned to Melbourne with manager and guess what…knocked back the 2 year extension and put contract talks on hold.

He nominates Freo, both clubs come to a fair agreement. Melb go to the draft and Freo add one of the most exciting players in the AFL to their list. It’s just business. Once he nominates and from what I’m told he will nominate Freo, it should be pretty straightforward (ie Cerra)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sometimes I think the AFL create rules that are are deliberately convoluted and ambiguous so when they "clarify" any future issues, they can claim it's what the rule meant all along

I agree with you - I think Eagles will keep all their picks. You currently have 3 picks inside the top 30, and you will probably try to trade in for a couple more

I also agree with you on Jackson. He's a great young player with an abundance of potential, but I doubt any club would give up 3 first round picks. I hope Freo have learnt something from the Cerra trade: don't overvalue your own players when trying to keep them, but don't overvalue other team's players when trying to trade for them

What do you think happens if he asks to leave as an uncontracted player, chooses Freo and Melbourne say our two first round picks and whatever Lobb is worth isnt enough?
Then a trade doesn’t get done, Jackson has the option to stay at Melbourne or go to his un-preferred destination of West Coast or perhaps North Melbourne in the pre season draft

Then a trade doesn’t get done, Jackson has the option to stay at Melbourne or go to his un-preferred destination of West Coast or perhaps North Melbourne in the pre season draft
The PSD is highly unlikely, though. I would suggest Melbourne would rather unders from Freo over nothing at all. Jackson himself runs the risk of remaining in Victoria if that happens, so he would likely re-sign with Melbourne anyway

Having said that, I can't think of any recent player that has bent a club over like that, and I very much doubt Jackson would do that to Melbourne

Last edited:

It won't be seen as brave or honourable for Melbourne to shoot themselves in the foot, not accepting a trade, and letting Jackson walk for nothing. It will cost people their jobs.

That's why Melbourne will agree to the deal offered with a late swap of future 3rds and 4ths on the last day to get it over the line.

It won't be seen as brave or honourable for Melbourne to shoot themselves in the foot, not accepting a trade, and letting Jackson walk for nothing. It will cost people their jobs.

That's why Melbourne will agree to the deal offered with a late swap of future 3rds and 4ths on the last day to get it over the line.
I reckon it’s likely Jackson will stay at Melbourne if a trade doesn’t happen, it won’t be the PSD. Melbourne won’t accept unders.

Caveat that it's a huge IF he nominates, but if he does currency won't be an issue. Freo have built a talent pool so can afford the picks - 2 firsts is a given (current and future) with either some pick swaps (eg 2nd & 3rd for a 2nd) or a player (but it won't be one of our guns if 2 firsts are going across) to make up for the fact one of them isn't a top 5 pick.

Lobb may still wish to head out, and on current form he's probably worth a pick in the late teens early 20s (given his age) which further eases currency concerns.

We're a decent side to trade with (unless you're GC) so Melbourne won't get stiffed and neither should they. From that point I'd trust the recruiters to put their bounty to good use, they've gone ok so far.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

They'll just require their players to...?
Not necessarily. It’ll just be up to Fremantle to obtain the picks to satisfy Melbourne

Not necessarily. It’ll just be up to Fremantle to obtain the picks to satisfy Melbourne

*within reason, at the end of which Melbourne has to accept whatever the best deal that can be offered is in regards to picks.

There was a suggestion that Freo might seek to trade Lobb and our first to a club for their top ten pick to help lubricate this deal.

It would be far easier to just trade him along to Melbourne.

*within reason, at the end of which Melbourne has to accept whatever the best deal that can be offered is in regards to picks.

There was a suggestion that Freo might seek to trade Lobb and our first to a club for their top ten pick to help lubricate this deal.

It would be far easier to just trade him along to Melbourne.
Of course within reason. But Melbourne doesn’t have to accept whatever the best deal that can be offered. If there’s not a fair deal I’d back Jackson to sign on at Melbourne than enter the PSD

That’s a fair question.

Answer; he’s not. Jackson is not going to come out on a podcast during contract negotiations and say “I like Melbourne but Perth is home, time to head back”

Jackson knocked back a 5-6 year deal pre finals last year. Then knocked back a simple 2 year extension the start of the year while on a extended break in Perth. Returned to Melbourne with manager and guess what…knocked back the 2 year extension and put contract talks on hold.

He nominates Freo, both clubs come to a fair agreement. Melb go to the draft and Freo add one of the most exciting players in the AFL to their list. It’s just business. Once he nominates and from what I’m told he will nominate Freo, it should be pretty straightforward (ie Cerra)
lol. he's just waiting for the tv rights deal and CBA stuff to sort itself out. It would make little sense for him to go to Freo. He clearly prefers Melbourne. He said it without even being asked. It's pretty clear that he isn't home sick at all. Why would you leave a premiership team to join a worse team that has a number 1 ruckman who is only 23? Not to mention he knows that Freo can't facilitate a trade as they have no draft capital.

It was on the radio yesterday that Melbourne will probably demand 3 first rounders for Jackson. Good luck coming up with that. If Jackson by some remote chance is purely homesick (which he isn't, but if he is) then he'll have no issues with going to WCE where he can be the number 1 ruck soon. Yes, they aren't as good but if he cared about team success then he'd stay at Melbourne so WCE is a far more likely destination. Freo fans have rocks in their head if they think 2 picks in the teens is remotely close.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back