Dez!

Hall of Famer
Jul 14, 2007
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
We have been through this conversation before dan. Cameron went for picks 18 and 20 and 23 (with 30 and 32 going back which cancels out 23).

Yes jackson is worth 2 late firsts ie 12-20 as cameron was.
No he is not worth a top 4 pick and a future 1st as you seem to think.
This is as stupid as the three firsts valuation.

Melbourne would want Freo to get a top 10 pick and then trade that with a future first which I think Freo would do.

Melbourne
Top 10 pick
Future 1st or another 1st later in the round

Fremantle
Luke Jackson

Freo get a good deal and Melbourne get somewhat accurate compensation, although I don't see Jackson leaving.

Snuffaluphagus

Sep 10, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yeah, if he truly does miss home then yeah. I wouldn't say a little club driven podcast is exactly 'on camera' in the true sense of what you're talking about i.e. in front mod media etc. I'll take him on his word.

Below is the dialogue:

Gawn: 'serious question, living away from home, difficult?'
Jackson: 'Nup' (without even blinking).
Gawn: (laughs at the quick answer). "You're obviously enjoying Melbourne?"
Jackson: "Yeah, Melbourne's great"
Gawn: : "You said to me something the other day. You think Melbourne has overtaken Perth?".
Jackson: "yeah I reckon".

Brayshaw: "You love the city it sounds like"
Jackson: "Yeah, and I was hardly in melbourne last year and I already love it, so imagine when I'm here all the time"
Brayshaw: :After footy would you stay in Melbourne or head back to Perth?"
Jackson: "It's hard to say yet".

These are not the words of someone that is homesick. Someone who is homesick doesn't say 'I may not ever go back to Perth even after football'.

Yes, a podcast hosted by/for Melbourne doesnt mean much to me, nothing a player says on the record means much to me. If he truly likes being in Melbourne more than WA, he'll re-sign

Snuffaluphagus

Sep 10, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
danster banned again :hearteyes:
I Didnt Do It Tonight Show GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
I don't think WC will be quite the dream to deal with that is being suggested, especially after the Kelly experience.

I would be trading pick 1 to the Giants for their first and Bruhn, and I would make a low ball play for Coniglio too. That single first round (6) would be the trade on offer. PSD is something they should have in play.

They are in the worst situation they have ever been in, and I doubt they will play nice.

Trav 20

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Sorrento Hotel
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Dees
I don't want to add to much, but I read that second round picks are pretty useless. I beg to disagree, especially if you've got a gun recruiter.

Gawn - 34
Fritsch - 31
Petty - 37

are terrific picks.

And even Sparrow - 27, Jordon - 33, and Neal-Bullen 40 are pretty handy.

Freo originally drafted Ed Langdon with pick 54.

We've had great success in the 20-40 range. Others include Bowey and Spargo.

Scotland

TheBrownDog
May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
danster banned again :hearteyes:

I wonder if he's conditioned to the Neeld/Bailey years and think that clubs just have multiple top 5 picks lying around in the kitchen drawer.

We'll have one this year and that's our first in 12 years. Jackson is good but a few are getting carried away without how good he could be. I reckon he'll stay beyond this year. Melbourne are still at their peak and he's young enough to command a long term deal from either WA club in another 2-3 years.

schmuttt

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
West Ham United
I wonder if he's conditioned to the Neeld/Bailey years and think that clubs just have multiple top 5 picks lying around in the kitchen drawer.

We'll have one this year and that's our first in 12 years. Jackson is good but a few are getting carried away without how good he could be. I reckon he'll stay beyond this year. Melbourne are still at their peak and he's young enough to command a long term deal from either WA club in another 2-3 years.

Completely agree, Eagles and Freo aren't going to be offering anything close to 1m a year on a long contract. In two years though he will probably be worth that much.

Scotland

TheBrownDog
May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Completely agree, Eagles and Freo aren't going to be offering anything close to 1m a year on a long contract. In two years though he will probably be worth that much.

As much as i don't want to see it Lobb out, Jackson in makes sense for Freo. If you could make the trade compo work.

JammoMonty

Team Captain
Oct 1, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Okay, so lets be real here. Jackson is worth 3 first rounders. something like 5, 14, and 18. Offering say 5 & 14 is unders. Offering 14 and 18 is simply disrespectful. I'm sorry but if this was Andrew Brayshaw you would want more than 14 and 18 and Jackson is worth more than Brayshaw due to Brayshaw being a dime a dozen midfielder and Jackson being a generational talent. Brayshaw is not. So you will have to cough up Darcy or Brayshaw and a pick or deal with multiple other clubs until we get what we want. We will happily deal with WCE. Jackson won't screw the club over. Otherwise, we'll just sign him to a 1 year deal so have that leverage.
3x first rounders? 😳

1652471853162.jpeg

Last edited:

eastfreo75

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
This is as stupid as the three firsts valuation.

Melbourne would want Freo to get a top 10 pick and then trade that with a future first which I think Freo would do.

Melbourne
Top 10 pick
Future 1st or another 1st later in the round

Fremantle
Luke Jackson

Freo get a good deal and Melbourne get somewhat accurate compensation, although I don't see Jackson leaving.
Very happy with my team's performance this year and excited about the young team developing.

Still not convinced at the Dockers are a top 4 "yet".

Therefore our pick might be in the range of 12-16.

Lobb maybe used an upgrade our first round pick to get a top 10 pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lampers

Club Legend
May 27, 2004
Eastside
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Melbourne
I don’t understand why an out of contract, overpaid, inconsistent, high maintenance flake like Lobb, who will be 30 next year, is seen as something of high value on the trade table.

No club will be clamouring to provide a first round pick upgrade into the top ten for that guy. When he goes it will be for a second rounder at best, and Freo will be secretly happy to be rid of him.

Back to Jackson, if he doesn’t accept Melbourne’s terms, then Melbourne will have to settle for unders at the trade table. It’s not the end of the world.

DragoDelph

It was me!!! I was the Turkey all along!
Sep 30, 2020
Baldivis, WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
I don’t understand why an out of contract, overpaid, inconsistent, high maintenance flake like Lobb, who will be 30 next year, is seen as something of high value on the trade table.

No club will be clamouring to provide a first round pick upgrade into the top ten for that guy. When he goes it will be for a second rounder at best, and Freo will be secretly happy to be rid of him.

Back to Jackson, if he doesn’t accept Melbourne’s terms, then Melbourne will have to settle for unders at the trade table. It’s not the end of the world.
Because he’s;
Still contracted until 2023.
Plays an important structural role as a marking forward and mobile second ruck.
We don’t have a replacement on our list ready to go.

Pure_Ownage

Premium Platinum
Nov 26, 2008
PODS fan club office
AFL Club
Geelong
Because he’s;
Still contracted until 2023.
Plays an important structural role as a marking forward and mobile second ruck.
We don’t have a replacement on our list ready to go.

That explains why he has value to you and you should keep him.

Itdoesnt explain why he is worth a high pick to any other club which he isnt imo.

RonnieRaven

Mature age recruit
Jun 12, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle

It’s all potential at the moment with Jackson
Lobb ave double the clearances more goals goal assist and involvements.
His also under contract Jackson is not.
Lobb only worth a pick up grade or a pick 20-30 for the right team.
Picks 19,20,21 were first rd last year.

Lampers

Club Legend
May 27, 2004
Eastside
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Melbourne
It’s all potential at the moment with Jackson
Lobb ave double the clearances more goals goal assist and involvements.
His also under contract Jackson is not.
Lobb only worth a pick up grade or a pick 20-30 for the right team.
Picks 19,20,21 were first rd last year.
So you know “under contract” only holds weight if another team WANTS that player. Who wants a 30 year old who has already flaked out on two clubs, and hasn’t found consistency almost a decade into his career?

If Fremantle trade Lobb and pick up most of his salary in 2023 I could see them getting a pick in the 20s, maybe. Bulldogs might go for him, or St.Kilda. That’s about it.

DragoDelph

It was me!!! I was the Turkey all along!
Sep 30, 2020
Baldivis, WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
So you know “under contract” only holds weight if another team WANTS that player. Who wants a 30 year old who has already flaked out on two clubs, and hasn’t found consistency almost a decade into his career?

If Fremantle trade Lobb and pick up most of his salary in 2023 I could see them getting a pick in the 20s, maybe. Bulldogs might go for him, or St.Kilda. That’s about it.
Given this is the Jackson thread, he would also suit Melbourne if Jackson leaves. You get 3-4 years of a replacement, who is actually performing better than the player that your losing, while you develop a younger more permanent replacement. (Or get Mac Andrew back from the GC)

If there’s no interest, Lobb stays. If the price isn’t good enough and/or we don’t get a replacement, he stays.

Lobb cops a lot of flak, but he is actually performing ahead of others playing the same position. Value is always subjective of course

Polo342

Club Legend
Nov 1, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle

Lobb maybe 30 next year but with us pushing for a premiership, why would we accept a second rounder when we dont have a replacement? We have Amiss and Treacy but they are 19 years old.

Guy Threepwood

Premiership Player
Jul 24, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Phoenix Suns, Sunderland

So much wishful thinking from Freo fans re Lobb. I can't see him making or breaking any Jackson trade this year.

If Luke does make the decision to move back to WA, I would expect that we will be sounding out young Victorians like Serong or Young so that a trade that represents close to his value can be done.

s_wd6

All Australian
Oct 27, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
So much wishful thinking from Freo fans re Lobb. I can't see him making or breaking any Jackson trade this year.

If Luke does make the decision to move back to WA, I would expect that we will be sounding out young Victorians like Serong or Young so that a trade that represents close to his value can be done.
He won't be make or break for any Jackson trade but it's not unreasonable to think that Melbourne will want him as part of any trade as like a 3/4 year stop gap for Jackson?

Guy Threepwood

Premiership Player
Jul 24, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Phoenix Suns, Sunderland
He won't be make or break for any Jackson trade but it's not unreasonable to think that Melbourne will want him as part of any trade as like a 3/4 year stop gap for Jackson?

I don't claim to have any inside knowledge, but I doubt he would be high on the list of priorities. Why look for a stop gap to be part of the deal that comes with a large cap hit when you can try and shake the tree to try and land a potential 10+ year player instead?

freo_leo29

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 20, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle
I don't claim to have any inside knowledge, but I doubt he would be high on the list of priorities. Why look for a stop gap to be part of the deal that comes with a large cap hit when you can try and shake the tree to try and land a potential 10+ year player instead?
Because you are in the flag window and a 10 year player seems unlikely, if you wanted a ten year player then you should have taken Cerra last year for Jackson

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad