Traded Luke Jackson [Traded with #44 and #67 to Fremantle for #13, F1 and F2]

Remove this Banner Ad

Serong:
Combine Results: Speed - 3.12sec 20m sprint, Endurance - 6min 24sec 2km

Jackson:
Combine Results: Speed - 3.12sec 20m sprint, Endurance - 6min 21sec 2km

lol. a 199cm ruckman recording the same 20m time and better endurance. Freo fans, honestly, stop seeing your players through rose coloured glasses. Serong is a tough, inside mid that finds plenty of the ball. Athletically he is poor.

Combine results again haha.

Serong:
Combine Results: Speed - 3.12sec 20m sprint, Endurance - 6min 24sec 2km

Jackson:
Combine Results: Speed - 3.12sec 20m sprint, Endurance - 6min 21sec 2km

lol. a 199cm ruckman recording the same 20m time and better endurance. Freo fans, honestly, stop seeing your players through rose coloured glasses. Serong is a tough, inside mid that finds plenty of the ball. Athletically he is poor.
Just a question here. You say Serong is dime a dozen. Do you rate Matthew Rowell?

A figment of your own imagination. I've seen Gawn kick similar goals. I've just posted his combine results. He's not gifted with speed. Same speed as Jackson.

Ha, cmon Danster, Gawn has never crumbed a ball front and centre and sprinted away from the contest like that. Ever. Let’s not be silly.

Jackson will be a good player.

Way too early to be calling him 'generational'.

Winning a rising star also means Jack s**t. Plenty of winners go on to be spuds.

If I was going purely for team needs currently, I'd take Serong over Jackson, any day of the week.

Paying bucketloads for 'potential' is a recipe for disaster, Boyd and Scully being 2 great examples in recent times.

Not sure I'd want to be selling the farm for an undersized ruckman, only to play him as a midfielder...

Jackson will be a good player.

Way too early to be calling him 'generational'.

Winning a rising star also means Jack s**t. Plenty of winners go on to be spuds.

If I was going purely for team needs currently, I'd take Serong over Jackson, any day of the week.

Paying bucketloads for 'potential' is a recipe for disaster, Boyd and Scully being 2 great examples in recent times.

Not sure I'd want to be selling the farm for an undersized ruckman, only to play him as a midfielder...
Lewis Taylor won it over Marcus Bontempelli which one are you taking now?

He shows just as much speed in his prelim match.

Gawn is fantastic, but it doesn't prove your point, I fail to see any speed or burst there.

The 'touched' mark he just keeps moving and makes a big arc to turn, with his bulk and Menegola's lack of speed off the mark he just had to brush past him.
The goal through the middle was great again, but he was just running in an acre of space and the Geelong player made up significant ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems the list management teams at Freo and WC are keen on Jackson if offering in the vicinity of 800k. I reckon it might have something to with his potential. Maybe they’ve watched him play over the past few years. Maybe even a ls a junior. It’s a stretch I know.

Gawn is fantastic, but it doesn't prove your point, I fail to see any speed or burst there.

The 'touched' mark he just keeps moving and makes a big arc to turn, with his bulk and Menegola's lack of speed off the mark he just had to brush past him.
The goal through the middle was great again, but he was just running in an acre of space and the Geelong player made up significant ground.
the geelong player is probably the fastest guy in geelongs team. up there with rohan. i'm not disagreeing with you too much but it shows just as much as the serong footage. if freo fans think Serong is a burst player they are mistaken. the eye test tells me this and the combine results confirm it.

the geelong player is probably the fastest guy in geelongs team. up there with rohan. i'm not disagreeing with you too much but it shows just as much as the serong footage. if freo fans think Serong is a burst player they are mistaken. the eye test tells me this and the combine results confirm it.
For the record I don't think Serong is a burst player either, but I also think you're underplaying his capabilities.
There's another player we've seen up close with great inside ability, lightning hands and a serious drive to succeed that he reminds me of, and Serong has some additional tricks on his side too.
No guarantee he'll get to that level, but he's got the tools to do it and has shown very decent production to date.

Jackson on the other hand definitely has extra value because talls are harder to find, hence your comment on 'dime-a-dozen' midfielders.
The biggest uncertainty is how his obviously good attributes play out best - I doubt it's as a first ruck but more a hybrid / more talented Blicavs.

I struggle to see where this one goes, Jackson's potential is clear and value to Melbourne even clearer.
Freo won't have the picks for fair compensation, and Jackson doesn't really address our biggest list gaps, so would be a hell of a negotiation.

Don't let all this talk about burst distract you from the fact that GENERATIONAL RUCKMAN luke Jackson lost a hitout to David mundy

Freo have a good thing going. Why they would burst their salary cap to get a ruckman, who they don’t need, is beyond me.
They seem to need a KPF and a forward ruck, and are resigned to losing Lobb (and his fat contract).

The question is, does Jackson want to be a no 1 ruck in a couple of years? Darcy is a lock for decade so he won't get that at Freo.

The question is, does Jackson want to be a no 1 ruck in a couple of years? Darcy is a lock for decade so he won't get that at Freo.

If we are having this conversation in December with Jackson on Freo's list I'd be saying that Darcy is more effective as a marking forward target than Jackson currently so it could be a horses for courses match up in the ruck with both capable of playing #1 and forward.

I personally prefer Darcy around the ground and Jackson at the stoppages where his follow up can make use of that space created by the 6-6-6 rule as a forth mid when the ball comes to ground.

Lobb is clearly better than either Darcy or Jackson in that forward role - Rankings had Lobb as the #8 key forward in the league this year, but both Jackson and Darcy are better in the ruck contest.

Jackson needs to get his hands on some marks and it gets very interesting. That's what I'll be looking for tonight and for the next few weeks with the added opportunity he has.

Not overvaluing anything. You’re the one who said you wouldn’t trade Jackson for both Young and Serong. Insanity at its finest.

The rest of your post above about both Freo lads shows your complete lack of footy knowledge

The Dees would be extremely fortunate to get two players of Serong and Young's calibre in a trade.

The incumbent team rarely gets fair value when an out of contract player wants to leave. The only exceptions is when they are able to polish a turd that was thrown in as steak knives, like Kennedy in the Judd trade.

Why on earth would I trade a generational ruck for a dime a dozen midfielder and a half back flanker? Serong wouldn't even make Melbourne's starting mids. He is behind Oliver, Petracca and Viney. Pass.

Sure he can replace Harmes or Sparrow. Big deal. I'm not trading away a rare ruck for a mid that grow on trees and can literally be drafted or traded for at any draft period.

Serong and Young aren't on the table.

Trade will be centered around draft picks and fringe players.

The Dees would be extremely fortunate to get two players of Serong and Young's calibre in a trade.

The incumbent team rarely gets fair value when an out of contract player wants to leave. The only exceptions is when they are able to polish a turd that was thrown in as steak knives, like Kennedy in the Judd trade.
Kennedy at pick #4 ended up a polished turd?

What does that make Jackson, one pick ahead of him, then?

Kennedy at pick #4 ended up a polished turd?

What does that make Jackson, one pick ahead of him, then?

Yeah.

Kennedy ended up being a great player, but let's be real; a guy averaging half a goal a game playing for a cellar dweller is not the centerpiece of a trade to land one of the best mids in the comp.

He was a project player when he got traded. WCE did a great job at developing him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back