Traded Luke Jackson [Traded with #44 and #67 to Fremantle for #13, F1 and F2]

Remove this Banner Ad

he says in the doco that he wants to go to melbourne. The evidence is there. Just because you haven't watched the documentary doesn't mean the evidence isn't there. I've been saying the same thing for months. Cerra wanted to come to melbourne. It's on tape him saying that. But his manager advised him that a deal couldn't get done hence he officially nominated Carlton.

Like it or not, if freo lowball melbourne, we'll work with WCE who can get a fair trade done.
If he chooses Freo thats where he’ll end up, i mean if he says i want to go home you may have a point otherwise Freo has two firsts and what ever steak knives they throw in its laughable that you think Melbourne throw in the we’ll deal with WC card when he has specifically nominated Freo.

Can’t help but feel the overdrive in the media to pump this guys contract up into the 10 year 10 million range has absolutely screwed the dees.

We just keep getting baited in by that off the rails bloke from the Dees

Funny thing is I think Jackson signs for 1 or 2 more years anyway, so its pointless
Danster is not going to change his/her perspective, never has yet on anything that I can recall.

I have no inside word at all, but my gut feel is similar to yours because it makes the most sense. Try to be part of another premiership or two which based on 2021 is a fair chance at Melbourne.

If Jackson absolutely wants back to Perth in 2023 and only wants Fremantle, then I think the two clubs will find a way to make it happen after some initial bluster and bluffing - just like the Hogan deal.

I don’t see Melbourne being anything other than pragmatic. Being stubborn and standing in the way of what a player wants (when they are out of contract) sends a bad signal to the rest of the players. I didn’t mind what Fremantle did with Lobb by standing firm, he was still under contract at the end of last year.

If Jackson leaves sure it’s frustrating to lose a point of difference player, but it also opens up opportunity to replenish the list with likely a couple of decent but not top-end draft prospects. It also means money set aside for Jackson can go somewhere else, like further front loading current contracts to have room for a big free agent later on.

An out of contract Jeremy Cameron and 2x future 2nds (2021 picks 32 and 35) went for picks 13,15,20 (ended up as 15,18 and 25 after bids) and a future 4th (2021 pick 60). Trade was equivalent to pick 5 after bids were considered.

An out of contract Jake Lever, pick 35 (37 after bids) and future 3rd (2018 pick 47) went for pick 10, future 1st and future 4th (2018 picks 19 and 67). Trade was equivalent to pick 8 after bids.

An out of contract Adam Cerra went for pick 6 (8 after bids) and a future 3rd (pick 50 based on current ladder). Trade was equivalent to pick 6 or thereabouts.

Using those as the yardstick and for the sake of the argument assuming freo finish top 4 this year and next a trade of 2022 and 2023 firsts is equivalent to pick 4-5. Add a swap of steak knives picks in Melbourne’s favour and that deal probably gets done.

A better option for Melbourne would be west coast splitting their pick, sending a top 10 pick and a future 2nd to Melbourne for Jackson and steak knives. E.g. pick 10 this year and ~20 next year for Jackson and 42. Same points value as the hypothetical freo trade above.

An out of contract Jeremy Cameron and 2x future 2nds (2021 picks 32 and 35) went for picks 13,15,20 (ended up as 15,18 and 25 after bids) and a future 4th (2021 pick 60). Trade was equivalent to pick 5 after bids were considered.

An out of contract Jake Lever, pick 35 (37 after bids) and future 3rd (2018 pick 47) went for pick 10, future 1st and future 4th (2018 picks 19 and 67). Trade was equivalent to pick 8 after bids.

An out of contract Adam Cerra went for pick 6 (8 after bids) and a future 3rd (pick 50 based on current ladder). Trade was equivalent to pick 6 or thereabouts.

Using those as the yardstick and for the sake of the argument assuming freo finish top 4 this year and next a trade of 2022 and 2023 firsts is equivalent to pick 4-5. Add a swap of steak knives picks in Melbourne’s favour and that deal probably gets done.

A better option for Melbourne would be west coast splitting their pick, sending a top 10 pick and a future 2nd to Melbourne for Jackson and steak knives. E.g. pick 10 this year and ~20 next year for Jackson and 42. Same points value as the hypothetical freo trade above.
Why would that be a good option for Melbourne? Three years of development of a pick #3 that won the RS and played a key role in a premiership for pick #10 and #20?

You wouldn't trade pick #3 for those two picks alone. Let alone one that's already a proven commodity.

Why would that be a good option for Melbourne? Three years of development of a pick #3 that won the RS and played a key role in a premiership for pick #10 and #20?

You wouldn't trade pick #3 for those two picks alone. Let alone one that's already a proven commodity.
Its not a good option. Losing Jackson will never be a good option. But if he nominates a club then Melbourne will have to work with that club to get the best possible outcome for them.

Would much prefer Jackson stay than go.

Historically out of contract players go for less than they are worth/ than they would if contracted.

Using the trades I mentioned as a baseline, you could probably estimate his trade worth as an out of contract player being the equivalent of a pick 3-5 in points.

Assuming he wants to go back to WA, I’ve hypothesised trades around that value for freo and wc. Of the two trade scenarios I’ve come up with, I prefer the wc trade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m if taking my West Coast hat off and going off what just makes the most sense. If Jackson’s going home one day in the future, why now? Think it’s best he sticks it out another 2 years at least with Melbourne to chase premierships. Fremantle have Sean Darcy and I doubt Jackson would want to go to a place he won’t ever be the number 1 ruck (Darcy isn’t a player like Gawn who can excel out of position). For the Eagles I reckon it’s more sense we keep this picks (learn from TK trade), build the list up for the next 2-3 years and Jackson then leaves Melbourne potentially as a multiple time premiership player with the Demons for a monster contract with an Eagles side ready to start being a finals and premiership contender as Nic Nat gets ready to hang the boots up (maybe stays on one year to mentor Jackson). Meaning Jackson could be guided by one of if not the best ruckman to ever play the game in Gawn to win multiple flags, comes home to play for the team he barracked for being number 1 ruckman on big $$ for a finals/flag contender, with some coaching from his favourite player of all time. That’s what in my eyes makes no sense. But happy to get him whenever, he’s gonna be special if he isn’t already

Getting the feeling West Coast are more involved than we think.

Sumich on radio and The West this morning both commenting on Jackson to Eagles as a genuine possibility.
Peter Sumich makes s**t up. He hates the Dockers after he had a massive falling out with Ross Lyon when he was an assistant coach years ago. Im not sure what's happening in regards to the Eagles and Jackson. But I wouldn't trust what he says on anything.

I’m if taking my West Coast hat off and going off what just makes the most sense. If Jackson’s going home one day in the future, why now? Think it’s best he sticks it out another 2 years at least with Melbourne to chase premierships. Fremantle have Sean Darcy and I doubt Jackson would want to go to a place he won’t ever be the number 1 ruck (Darcy isn’t a player like Gawn who can excel out of position). For the Eagles I reckon it’s more sense we keep this picks (learn from TK trade), build the list up for the next 2-3 years and Jackson then leaves Melbourne potentially as a multiple time premiership player with the Demons for a monster contract with an Eagles side ready to start being a finals and premiership contender as Nic Nat gets ready to hang the boots up (maybe stays on one year to mentor Jackson). Meaning Jackson could be guided by one of if not the best ruckman to ever play the game in Gawn to win multiple flags, comes home to play for the team he barracked for being number 1 ruckman on big $$ for a finals/flag contender, with some coaching from his favourite player of all time. That’s what in my eyes makes no sense. But happy to get him whenever, he’s gonna be special if he isn’t already
Would just like to say have you seen Darcy play in the forward line? Try moving that guy in a marking contest seriously

Yeah but apparently they’ll ignore his wishes and negotiate with the other team.

bit hypocritical...Kelly nominated the Eagles and had no interest in freo yet Belly was trying to poach him at the 11th hour

what comes around goes around

bit hypocritical...Kelly nominated the Eagles and had no interest in freo yet Belly was trying to poach him at the 11th hour

what comes around goes around
Translation: I hate the Dockers.

i'm sure you do
Wow, that's a searing burn brau!
Sick Burn GIF by MOODMAN

Surely he stays at Melbourne or goes to West Coast, how long does Max Gawn and Nic Nat have left before Jackson could take over as the number 1 ruck?

I don't understand why he would want to come to Freo when he would be stuck behind Sean Darcy for the rest of his career... I would only be ok with the move if we actually thought he could kick 45+ goals every year and back up Darcy.

LMAO

More like "Carlton didn't want to keep him". Read the news articles from the time - Kennedy's preference was to stay but Carlton shopped him to get the deal done because they wanted to hold onto the #1 pick.

Eagles teammates were also making Kennedy wear a t-shirt saying 'Worst Trade Ever' during his first year.

Sure, you could argue that Eagles won the trade but that only 10 years after the fact. Pick 3 and 20 were the prize in the trade, not some fat kid from the bush that had achieved nothing at AFL level up until that point.

Hopefully the Dees luck out and pry a fringe player from Freo that will develop into an mutliple AA calibre player!

That is completely untrue. Carlton was devastated to have to trade Kennedy and rated him super highly. He was pick 4 and had only been at the club 2 years. Was already showing great signs at AFL level and dominating at VFL level.

We were trading for the best player in the comp at 24 so knew we had to give something decent so reluctantly gave him up.

That is completely untrue. Carlton was devastated to have to trade Kennedy and rated him super highly. He was pick 4 and had only been at the club 2 years. Was already showing great signs at AFL level and dominating at VFL level.

We were trading for the best player in the comp at 24 so knew we had to give something decent so reluctantly gave him up.
Yep. If future picks had have been an option, you would have kept Kennedy.

Would have changed the fortunes of both clubs. That’s what a sliding doors moment is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back