Rumour Luke Miles Delisted

Remove this Banner Ad

Eddy, Andrew McQualter, Sean Dempster and Michael Gardiner - who was injured in the grand final draw and missed the replay - are still to re-sign. Former rookie Luke Miles is also yet to re-sign.

McQualter and Dempster are understood to be in contract negotiations while Gardiner and the club are still discussing his physical condition, but it is expected he will play on.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/eddy-looks-to-be-on-way-out-of-saints-20101109-17m13.html

Looks to be between Eddy and Miles. I think Miles looked to be the more 'talented' player, but no way Ross would cut Eddy after playing him all year ahead of Luke and everyone else.

Edit;

We’ll have a bit of a look at Alistair Smith and Nick Heyne has played as well. Tommy Lynch is really starting to bang on the door, as is Paul Cahill. Luke Miles was in the emergencies last week and we’re quite excited about that lot.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/98014/default.aspx

Ross seems to rate him though.. :confused:

Fingers crossed it's not true.

Surely we would go for Miles over Eddy. We would probably re-draft them anyway. Isnt Miles the bloke that was emergency like 10 times before getting a crack?

It's a pretty slow actual news day, haven't you noticed? The Hun is all filled with columns On random stuff most bigfooty people know, while there's jack s**t in the age except this and last weeks news of neagle and Hahn.

I'll accept it as fact when either afl.com or the saints themselves tell us.

Stooopid article.

"The club has made room on its list to have three picks"

"If the club wants four picks it will have to make room on the list, which is likely to squeeze Eddy out."

"The Saints ... could make room on their primary list by changing the way the veterans are considered on the list."

DUR

I thought we had 4 spots on our list anyway. According to this article: LINK we have only 36 players on our senior list, so wouldnt that equal 4 spots already?

ST KILDA
1. Armitage, David
2. Baker, Steven (veteran -outside list)
3. Blake, Jason (veteran - inside list)
4. Cahill, Paul
5. Clarke, Raphael
6. Dal Santo, Nick
7. Dawson, Zac
8. Dempster, Sean
9. Eddy, Robert
10. Fisher, Sam
11. Gardiner, Michael
12. Geary, Jarryn
13. Gilbert, Sam
14. Goddard, Brendon
15. Gram, Jason
16. Gwilt, James
17. Hayes, Lenny (veteran - outside list)
18. Heyne, Nick
19. Johnson, Will
20. Jones, Clinton
21. Koschitzke, Justin
22. Lynch, Tom
23. McEvoy, Ben
24. McQualter, Andrew
25. Miles, Luke
26. Milne, Stephen
27. Montagna, Leigh
28. Peake, Brett
29. Ray, Farren
30. Riewoldt, Nick
31. Schneider, Adam
32. Simpkin, Tom
33. Smith, Alistair
34. Stanley, Rhys
35. Steven, Jack
36. Winmar, Nicholas

Rookie list
1. Archer, Daniel
2. Ferguson, Jackson**
3. Gaertner, Steven
4. Walsh, Tommy*

On the basis we have 4 picks by moving Baker or Blake outside the list the last pick would be in the 70's.

Why would we be so keen to use a pick in the 90's that we'd cut a couple of guys who are on the cusp of the 22 (and keep guys like Cahill and Johnson on the main list who haven't been in the best regularly at VFL level)?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was gutted to see it:(

I am hoping Ross picks up Luke again as a rookie or something but the words from Ross..

“We appreciate the contribution of these players and value the input they made during their time at St Kilda. The Club’s position has now been finalised ahead of next week’s AFL Draft.”

.. make it seem like he is definitely a goner...

I don't know what to say.

All I think I can say is that Ross knows best.

Still, I can't believe it. BOTH!

Eddy's career at St Kilda seems all but over and we have to remember Miles is 23 or so. With so little experience, if his body's not right and he's not in our best 22, he's just dead weight. He's not going to get much better so maybe it was Ross thinking that a better player could be obtained.

it cant be to make room. they wouldnt be getting paid that much. kosi would be getting more then the both together

all i can say is very bad move, unless they are planning on using all picks to pick up kids, after all ross did say more youth will play.

it cant be to make room. they wouldnt be getting paid that much. kosi would be getting more then the both together

all i can say is very bad move, unless they are planning on using all picks to pick up kids, after all ross did say more youth will play.

I think a pick will be used on Cameron Bruce or Travis Johnstone who will demand coin. If we can snare a Cameron Bruce who would help us massively in a premiership tilt next year, then all for it.

From there, who knows.

Ross has made a mockery of our recruiting and list management. How he could de-list Eddy who is still young and played under 50 games and Miles who is 23 and obviously has pace to burn, yet keep Kosi on our list?

One thing for sure, if we don't win the flag next year then this team is doomed. With the natural cycle of the AFL (meaning the draft and salary cap), the extra 2 teams that are coming in, plus Lyons stragety of getting rid of youth but hanging on to oldies, I may be a grandfather by the time we next challenge.

In all seriousness, if we don't win it next year, it will be a minimum of 8 to 10 years before we challenge again.

Was gutted to see it:(

I am hoping Ross picks up Luke again as a rookie or something but the words from Ross..

“We appreciate the contribution of these players and value the input they made during their time at St Kilda. The Club’s position has now been finalised ahead of next week’s AFL Draft.”

.. make it seem like he is definitely a goner...

I had some high hopes for Miles :(:( Surely he's not going to be Rookied again, he's 24 and if he was going to have a shot he needed AFL games not more VFL.
Sucks for him really, he's had a 2 game career, and is now at an age where he's unlikely to be picked up by anyone else.
Any other club he would surely have given him a better shot at it.

Does that mean that either Lynch or Walsh are being earmarked for long term backline solutions rather than forwards?

Given that we now have a minimum of 5 picks, at least two recycled players seem likely. ( Can't see any of them being as pacey as Luke ).

Is it possible that Ross decided it was time for a mini-cleanout? Six picks would bring an injection of youth into the team.

2008 picks: Stanley, Lynch, Heyne, Cahill, Al Smith
2009 picks: Johnson, Winmar, Walsh
2010 picks: 6 more youngsters

That's suddenly a quarter of our senior list, without sacrificing anyone really important.

I'm sad to see Eddy, who was hard as a cat's head, and Miles, who had speed to burn and was unlucky to be left out for the Qualifying Final, go, but it's no great loss of personnel. Both may pop up somewhere else.

We also have four rookie spots, which means we'll be adding ten new players to the club, one way or another, out of 48. A nice little bit of renewal.

It's a pretty slow actual news day, haven't you noticed? The Hun is all filled with columns On random stuff most bigfooty people know, while there's jack s**t in the age except this and last weeks news of neagle and Hahn.

I'll accept it as fact when either afl.com or the saints themselves tell us.

D'oh!!!

Is it possible that Ross decided it was time for a mini-cleanout? Six picks would bring an injection of youth into the team.

2008 picks: Stanley, Lynch, Heyne, Cahill, Al Smith
2009 picks: Johnson, Winmar, Walsh
2010 picks: 6 more youngsters

That's suddenly a quarter of our senior list, without sacrificing anyone really important.

I'm sad to see Eddy, who was hard as a cat's head, and Miles, who had speed to burn and was unlucky to be left out for the Qualifying Final, go, but it's no great loss of personnel. Both may pop up somewhere else.

We also have four rookie spots, which means we'll be adding ten new players to the club, one way or another, out of 48. A nice little bit of renewal.
Tha's true, but what's the point if you are removing 2 youngsters. Why not get rid of Kosi and Gardiner and give the whole ruck responsibility to McEvoy, Stanley and Blake MaGrath (spelling?). Answer, because he also got rid of Blake MaGrath (spelling?)

If those two are gone McQualter should count himself very lucky but I think it's the right choice to get a few more draftees in, and give Heyne, Lynch, Geary and Smith more opportunity who I think have far more growth in them than Eddy and McQualter as neither ar Premiership quality players. It's for the best even if they were good clubmen.

Tha's true, but what's the point if you are removing 2 youngsters. Why not get rid of Kosi and Gardiner and give the whole ruck responsibility to McEvoy, Stanley and Blake MaGrath (spelling?). Answer, because he also got rid of Blake MaGrath (spelling?)

Gardiner is our best ruckman, and with King and Pattison gone, is at the very least vital to our depth in this role.

Koschitzke kicked five goals in a game this year, has an important role in our structure, and is reasonably versatile (ruck/forward).

On top of all that, on what planet are Miles and Eddy better players than Gardiner and Koschitzke? I'll concede Kosi can be disappointing at times, but Eddy was probably never going to be a star, and Miles played two games in three years, and had just turned 24.

We weren't delisting a couple of 20 year olds who've never really had a chance (like some are advocating with Paul Cahill). Eddy's almost 23, Miles is just 24, and neither are more likely than not to be in our best 22 going forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back