Player Watch Luke Nankervis - Debut!

Do you think the AFC coaches will pick Luke Nankervis in Round 1?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
How a junk email nearly cost Crows draftee AFL dream

Having made a name for himself for Bentleigh junior football club in Melbourne’s South Metro Junior Football League, a then 16-year-old Nankervis was unsure why he wasn’t drawing the attention of his local NAB league affiliate Sandringham.

Little did the wingman know, he was well and truly on the Dragons’ radar without him ever knowing.

In an interview with SEN, Nankervis revealed that it was actually an oversight from his end that was costing him opportunities to advance his footballing dream.

“I’ve had a lot more of a harder journey than most others,” Nankervis explained.

“They (Sandringham) sent an email inviting me to under 16s Dragons and it went to my junk mail, which I didn’t use and was full of random emails.

“I’ve always wanted to get into the Dragons, I just didn’t know how and one night I had a dream about it, so I checked my emails and saw that they’d actually invited me to under 16s and it (the email) was sitting in the junk folder.

“It was there from 2018 and I checked it at the start of 2020, it was well over a year.”

Upon realising that the opportunity he’d been hoping for was sitting at his fingertips for more than 12 months, Nankervis keenly replied to the Dragons, explaining the unfortunate situation and asking if he could take up the long-expired offer.

“Basically, I just emailed them back saying what happened and that it went somewhere I didn’t use and that I was really keen to get down and have a train,” he continued.

I find that a little bit of a stretch

they just sent one email with no follow up? I’m sure there’s some truth in that story and a bit of poetic license too

conVINCEd

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 15, 2003
Brisbane
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Crows
I find that a little bit of a stretch

they just sent one email with no follow up? I’m sure there’s some truth in that story and a bit of poetic license too

Surely his parents would be contacted too, given he was only 16.

Still, makes a good story along with the Jedi plait & ‘wanted to move interstate’.

He has Max Gawn vibes, even looks a bit like him.

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Nank getting a bit of praise from Thilthorpe, and previously Brown.

On SM-G988B using BigFooty.com mobile app
The old saying is that talk is cheap...BUT

A guy like Thilthorpe who is a known hard worker when he says he is impressed I am glass half full - not half empty here and it hopefully makes for exciting times and tough selections for league games

kick it to me_

Team Captain
Jul 12, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
When the mail was leaked we were into him prior to the draft, I read what I could and was quite excited. We then took the unusual move the use a preseason pick on him and get him on the main list.

I've got really high hopes here.
What did you read? I've only seen his highlights, thought we would be using him as a hf, and Hamish's mention he will be a midfielder.

Aug 21, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
What did you read? I've only seen his highlights, thought we would be using him as a hf, and Hamish's mention he will be a midfielder.

Think he was drafted on his athletic profile, tackling and work rate. Also came through the u18 program late so seen as someone with a lot of scope for development.

His kicking looks real average and not sure what his footy iq is like.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dec 18, 2007
Arcadia
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks

Yeah what StonesThrow said, his athletic profile, tall midfielder possibly etc There was someone on here in the days before the draft that mentioned we were really into him.

The fact we used that presason draft pick to put him on the main list prior to the rookie draft supports we really liked him.

Stuff like this and a few comments here and there on bigfooty,

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta

kick it to me_

Team Captain
Jul 12, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
Supported?

Go here then.

agility
vertical leap
hunts the ball carrier
clean takes at pace
tackles well
small defensive efforts like sheppard straight after disposing of the ball
continues run and create an option
Good size
The kicking isn't as bad as I was expecting seemed ok when not under pressure.

And by the sounds of it, heaps of scope for development.

Thanks for sharing!

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
agility
vertical leap
hunts the ball carrier
clean takes at pace
tackles well
small defensive efforts like sheppard straight after disposing of the ball
continues run and create an option
Good size
The kicking isn't as bad as I was expecting seemed ok when not under pressure.

And by the sounds of it, heaps of scope for development.

Thanks for sharing!

Don't worry StonesThrow says that about nearly all of our new players, not many Sam Mitchell, Nathan Bucley dead eye dicks around, I'll settle for competent kicks.

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Did you see his only follower on there? 😅
That's not unusual only diehard draft followers in the main know of HUDL's existence, to me it shows the draftees that are 100% commited to getting drafted because in the main they upload their own material via their NAB League clubs/School's Admin.

Take Josh Rachele he has 2 followers and 1 registered follower...Guess who?

Guess who else that registered follower was following...:)

It's a sneaky way to see who recruiters have interest in if you know their HUDL ticket.

Last edited:
Back