Player Watch Luke Nankervis - Debut!

Do you think the AFC coaches will pick Luke Nankervis in Round 1?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Aug 21, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Do you really want me to troll through your posts? You bring up kicking regularly. Moreso in reference to players you've decided aren't up to your lofty standards.

All you had to do was go back to November 24 of last year:
I like that the last 3 players added to our list are elite kicks of the footy. It's a must.

If a draftee has a poor action and the vision shows inconsistent results, why would I say it looks like they have good kicking?

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
For some reason itwon't allow me to quote the 2021 Draft thread but just about every 2nd or 3rd post of yours referred to the players kicking ability. You have a thing about players not being Sam Mitchell, Nathan Buckley level kicking exponents....and that only skims the surface of your time on Big Footy re kicking.. Welcome to the reality that few AFL players are elite kicks and even fewer when under pressure. i.e. Dustin Martin, Christian Petracca.

All you had to do was go back to November 24 of last year:

If a draftee has a poor action and the vision shows inconsistent results, why would I say it looks like they have good kicking?
Watching ROB kick the ball always makes me laugh.

That kicking style :l

I won't say who is terrible, but players who aren't fantastic: O'Brien, Keays, Laird, Murphy, Sloane, Butts, Crouch, Hately, Berry, Pedlar.

Haven't seen enough of Gollant, Worrel, Borlase, Murray and Newchurch to say for sure.

Hamil seems hit and miss.

Berry and Pedlar have time on their side. Berry seems good at short hit up kicks.

Isn't Long the guy with the Reilly O'Brien kicking action?

Think he was drafted on his athletic profile, tackling and work rate. Also came through the u18 program late so seen as someone with a lot of scope for development.

His kicking looks real average and not sure what his footy iq is like.

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Yeah look I'll admit it. I tend to bring up foot skills when evaluating players. It's outrageous and completely irrelevant!
My point is you don't need to be an elite kick (not many actually exist) to be a very damaging AFL footballer, it is but one attribute in a players kit bag.

Reilly O'Brien who you've reference numerous times would never have been recruited if you were our Head recruiter but despite being a very ordinary kick albeit moreso his set shot goal kicking than his field kicking he's a damn valuable AFL player. Dustin Martin and Christian Petracca, Nat Fyfe, Ollie wines and even Patty Dangerdield are far from elite kicks all miss plenty of targets along with hitting plenty......they're all All Australians and all bar Petracca Brownlow medallists. I'll settle for a competent kicker with all round attributes over an elite kick with few other attributes every time.

If kicking was the be all all you'd have never drafted any of the aforementioned players.

Aug 21, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
My point is you don't need to be an elite kick (not many actually exist) to be a very damaging AFL footballer, it is but one attribute in a players kit bag.

Reilly O'Brien who you've reference numerous times would never have been recruited if you were our Head recruiter but despite being a very ordinary kick albeit moreso his set shot goal kicking than his field kicking he's a damn valuable AFL player. Dustin Martin and Christian Petracca, Nat Fyfe, Ollie wines and even Patty Dangerdield are far from elite kicks all miss plenty of targets along with hitting plenty......they're all All Australians and all bar Petracca Brownlow medallists. I'll settle for a competent kicker with all round attributes over an elite kick with few other attributes every time.

If kicking was the be all all you'd have never drafted any of the aforementioned players.
Have I ever said this? No. Move on.

Fwiw I've been one of the few defending ROB's kicking if you read my posts in full. I defended ROB all of 2021 for the exact reasons that you've just stated.

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Last edited:

DaKids

All Australian
May 18, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide

This is precisely on point.

People will find that the vast majority of youngsters at the SANFL junior level, or interstate equivalent, are elite kicks….when they are kicking to each other before training starts.

It’s entirely different of course when that skill is placed under big pressure - mental pressure (kicking for goal) or physical pressure during a game.

I would argue that it’s more important to have the ability to find time and space to reduce the impact of pressure on skill execution. Whether it be pace, agility or just footy smarts, a few seconds of peace allows improved execution.

95% of kids that don’t get drafted would have elite kicks - there is far more needed in the kit bag.

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
He must have had something when we took him in the PSD rather than chance it in the rookie draft.

Needs some muscle, but an impressive showing first up.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Probably because we had heard the Roos and the Pies who had a pick before us in the rookie draft were showing big interest.

PoholkMe10

Senior List
Sep 7, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys
Probably because we had heard the Roos and the Pies who had a pick before us in the rookie draft were showing big interest.
Actually Essendon nominated for the PSD specifically to get him in front of us. North and Collingwood were already committed to others.

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
I think the insinuation is that Essendon we're going to pick him in the PSD on the understanding we werent going to, getting in ahead of us in the rookie draft.
We were always taking him in the PSD when we got wind there was interest from other clubs, the only pick we took in the rookie draft was to take Ben Davis who we had committed to.

Jan 31, 2009
New Highton
AFL Club
Adelaide
We were always taking him in the PSD when we got wind there was interest from other clubs, the only pick we took in the rookie draft was to take Ben Davis who we had committed to.
That's the point that poster is making... We got wind Essendon was interested.
The night before Hamish said he was keen on someone they thought would make it to the rookie draft. In hindsight he would probably keep that to himself in the future.

Back