Player Watch Luke Nankervis - Debut!

Do you think the AFC coaches will pick Luke Nankervis in Round 1?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

The Draft Central guys also were saying Essendon were keen.
They might have also been keen but no way they were gazumping us where the relative Clubs picks sat once we got wind other clubs had interest in him in the rookie draft.

He looked impressive in the highlights package on Friday afternoon.
He's got some size and pace and can find the ball and it looks like he makes good decisions with ball in hand.
Exciting prospect
Watching the sanfl game, both Taylor and Nankervis stood out to me.

think the sanfl games will be good to watch this year.

On SM-G988B using BigFooty.com mobile app

They might have also been keen but no way they were gazumping us where the relative Clubs picks sat once we got wind other clubs had interest in him in the rookie draft.

Well yeah, once we made the unusual arrangements to take him in the preseason draft we had him.

Watching the sanfl game, both Taylor and Nankervis stood out to me.

think the sanfl games will be good to watch this year.

On SM-G988B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Fingers crossed the advent of Darren Burgess into our fitness program keeps our boys on the track all year, also helps that top up players on our SANFL list now Jay Boyle, Nathan Freeman, Jack Lewis, Jacob Templeton etc are well up to SANFL standard. Jay Boyle might even be a sneaky chance to get an AFL gig at the MSD if he keeps up his stellar performances, good size for a mid at 187cm 92kg.

We wanted to take him the rookie draft, we did not originally have a pick in the PSD the night before. Essendon did
have one, as the lone club I think.

We got wind of it, so we opened a pick in the psd. After we took Nankervis , Essendon passed on their pick.

Fingers crossed the advent of Darren Burgess into our fitness program keeps our boys on the track all year, also helps that top up players on our SANFL list now Jay Boyle, Nathan Freeman, Jack Lewis, Jacob Templeton etc are well up to SANFL standard. Jay Boyle might even be a sneaky chance to get an AFL gig at the MSD if he keeps up his stellar performances, good size for a mid at 187cm 92kg.
we havent got a list spot unless seeds goes on the LTI list have we?

you’d have to think if seeds does go on the LTI that the fat lady has sung on his career.. be too big a risk to play on..

we havent got a list spot unless seeds goes on the LTI list have we?

you’d have to think if seeds does go on the LTI that the fat lady has sung on his career.. be too big a risk to play on..
Doesn't mean other clubs can't take Jay Boyle in the MSD though. If he plays too many more like last weekend with him only being 23 and a great size for AFL there would have to be interest.

Doesn't mean other clubs can't take Jay Boyle in the MSD though. If he plays too many more like last weekend with him only being 23 and a great size for AFL there would have to be interest.
I've spoken to him, I remember him being very confident that he could get onto an AFL list. So at the very least he has the ambition.

We were always taking him in the PSD when we got wind there was interest from other clubs, the only pick we took in the rookie draft was to take Ben Davis who we had committed to.
Timeline:
  • Essendon nominate for the PSD to get Nank before we do in the rookie draft
  • We catch wind Essendon are going to take Nank
  • We nominate for PSD
  • We pick Nank
  • Essendon Pass on their PSD pick hours after nominating for the PSD

No one could've taken Nank before us in the rookie draft as Collingwood and north were both committed to players.

Essendon nominating for the PSD (before we nominated) was their attempt at "gazumping" us and getting nank.

I’m curious, how does another club get wind of what another clubs intentions are? Surely they aren’t telling each other. Are they telling the player or manager who then leak? Why would a Victorian leak to us when he could have been drafted and stayed home?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m curious, how does another club get wind of what another clubs intentions are? Surely they aren’t telling each other. Are they telling the player or manager who then leak? Why would a Victorian leak to us when he could have been drafted and stayed home?
Was reportedly Nank was keen to move interstate? Possible the Manager leaked it I guess to ensure Nank got to us. No matter how he got here, I think we have a real jet with development, as previously mention he and cook ceilings are very high it seems.

My guess would be the player manager, the lad himself and family were impressed that Adelaide put the work in early to interview him and his family and followed up regularly so they likely alerted us there was other interest. Remember this is a lad that hadn't come through the usual elite program system and only came under notice in his top age year at the Sandy Dragons after missing an invitation to train with them the previous year.

Pretty sure Luke also said in one of his early interviews after the draft he was keen for new experiences etc so had no problems moving interstate, obviously the lad's not a shrinking violet which bodes well for the future.

Then there's the Hamish Ogilvie vs the Adrian Dodoro factor....😉

My guess would be the player manager, the lad himself and family were impressed that Adelaide put the work in early to interview him and his family and followed up regularly so they likely alerted us there was other interest. Remember this is a lad that hadn't come through the usual elite program system and only came under notice in his top age year at the Sandy Dragons after missing an invitation to train with them the previous year.

Pretty sure Luke also said in one of his early interviews after the draft he was keen for new experiences etc so had no problems moving interstate, obviously the lad's not a shrinking violet which bodes well for the future.

Then there's the Hamish Ogilvie vs the Adrian Dodoro factor....😉
Wouldn't it be Hamish v their recruiting boss not list manager? I am not sure who would win in a Reid v Dodoro battle

Wouldn't it be Hamish v their recruiting boss not list manager? I am not sure who would win in a Reid v Dodoro battle
Nah Dodoro is very hands on, Hamish said both he and Steve McCrystal met with Luke and his family very early on and that McCrystal put a power of work into Luke after that.

My guess is we were taking Luke with the Zac Taylor pick but when Zac unexpectedly slipped through with his record at the elite level we just had to pick him with a far bigger body of work to assess him on?

Nah Dodoro is very hands on, Hamish said both he and Steve McCrystal met with Luke and his family very early on and that McCrystal put a power of work into Luke after that.

My guess is we were taking Luke with the Zac Taylor pick but when Zac unexpectedly slipped through with his record at the elite level we just had to pick him with a far bigger body of work to assess him on?
Makes perfect sense.
So far I'm incredibly happy with both selections. Both definitely have some AFL qualities.

Yes Nankervis looks good as well as all selected in last draft .
But my problem with the last 2 drafts is that there is only a few midfield spots , as we are finding now where Pedlar Berry Cook etc etc can't get time in middle and Shoey limited time .
Know Sloane and Laird near end of careers but still a lot to squeeze in.

Yes Nankervis looks good as well as all selected in last draft .
But my problem with the last 2 drafts is that there is only a few midfield spots , as we are finding now where Pedlar Berry Cook etc etc can't get time in middle and Shoey limited time .
Know Sloane and Laird near end of careers but still a lot to squeeze in.

No reason we can’t develop them in the Sanfl. Good block of games as the number one or two there and then come up. We don’t have to strictly develop in the senior side

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We do need to give them genuine midfield time once they get there though.

We've managed to do it with Schoenberg. Berry got a bit of it last year. Other than that, we haven't given a new draftee significant midfield time in what feels like years. That will need to change if we're ever going to turn these kids into decent AFL players.

Back