Luke Parker bump on Jarman Impey [Cleared, No alternative to contest ball]

Remove this Banner Ad

Would you like to borrow my tin foil hat?

You didn't think I was already wearing one? :D

My comment was about 66% joke, and about 33% serious. Given what's happened across this season, there were plenty of people on social media who noticed that Natanui's highly contentious suspension was for a GWS game, whom the AFL desperately needs to succeed.

Burton shouldn't have got off.

Burton had an alternative, tackle. But he elected to bump and knocked out Higgins after electing not to tackle.

But chook lotto that week forgot about alternatives where this week they seem to have remembered that point.
And the bump was considered fair and legal.

How is it that this is continually glossed over?

The only reason Higgins got hurt is because of an accidental head clash.

You don’t punish for accidental head clashes.

Anyone notice ratagloa in the last 5mins of today's game attack the footy like Parker? Only difference the Collingwood player pulled out so he didn't get his head caved in? Welldone to the pies player for not going in Like a Japanese kamikaze pilot and getting 10% of bigfooty's posters foaming at the mouth because of HIS OWN stupidity

And the bump was considered fair and legal.

You don’t punish for accidental head clashes.

Burton lined him up 10-20m away. None of this split second to decide what to do stuff. When you line someone up and elect not to tackle when that is a reasonable option and it goes terribly wrong you should be held accountable. When you have that much time to decide what to do you should be accountable for 'accidents'.

That is my opinion and it was the MRP 12 months ago.

The spit second incidents are different and should be judged differently.

Anyone notice ratagloa in the last 5mins of today's game attack the footy like Parker? Only difference the Collingwood player pulled out so he didn't get his head caved in? Welldone to the pies player for not going in Like a Japanese kamikaze pilot and getting 10% of bigfooty's posters foaming at the mouth because of HIS OWN stupidity
Pretty sure he was bending down to pick up the ball, when he charged head first at Parkers hip, which he was using to protect himself from Jimpeys head

Burton lined him up 10-20m away. None of this split second to decide what to do stuff. When you line someone up and elect not to tackle when that is a reasonable option and it goes terribly wrong you should be held accountable. When you have that much time to decide what to do you should be accountable for 'accidents'.

That is my opinion and it was the MRP 12 months ago.

The spit second incidents are different and should be judged differently.
It seems you didn’t read the post.

“And the bump was considered fair and legal.

You don’t punish for accidental head clashes.”

It seems you didn’t read the post.

“And the bump was considered fair and legal.

You don’t punish for accidental head clashes.”

And YOU didnt read my post.

Stop repeating the same argument that suits your tribal one eyed defense of your player.

Previously the AFL policy was if you had a reasonable alternative and elected to bump and head high contact was made then it was your responsibility.

IMO that is how it should remain. This Christian character has now moved the goal posts and IMO is over correcting.

Question. Did Burton have a reasonable opportunity to tackle? Yes he most certainly did. But he elected to go the more forcefull shoulder charge. In the NRL that is a serious charge. In the most physical game being played they have determined the shoulder charge as being too dangerous, more dangerous that 110kg players tackling each other and smaller players.

But in the AFL a shoulder charge is legal, ok I accept that. However when a player has an opportunity to tackle but instead elects to shoulder charge and then knocks someone out with a head clash then IMO they should be held responsible for making that decision and failing to execute the bump safely.

You are totally ignoring that because it suits your tribal support for a player wearing brown and yellow.

And YOU didnt read my post.

Stop repeating the same argument that suits your tribal one eyed defense of your player.

Previously the AFL policy was if you had a reasonable alternative and elected to bump and head high contact was made then it was your responsibility.

IMO that is how it should remain. This Christian character has now moved the goal posts and IMO is over correcting.

Question. Did Burton have a reasonable opportunity to tackle? Yes he most certainly did. But he elected to go the more forcefull shoulder charge. In the NRL that is a serious charge. In the most physical game being played they have determined the shoulder charge as being too dangerous, more dangerous that 110kg players tackling each other and smaller players.

But in the AFL a shoulder charge is legal, ok I accept that. However when a player has an opportunity to tackle but instead elects to shoulder charge and then knocks someone out with a head clash then IMO they should be held responsible for making that decision and failing to execute the bump safely.

You are totally ignoring that because it suits your tribal support for a player wearing brown and yellow.
It doesn’t matter what your opinion of the rule should be, or what happens in NRL...

The AFL stated that the bump was fair and legal as it made contact with his chest and the head contact was accidental.

That’s it.

I’m ignoring your crap about where the blame for an accidental head clash should fall because it’s the sort of crap that would make our game a mockery.

Are you saying it is Impey's fault?

If so that is rubbish, already down low, ball goes past him out of the contest, he turns around already low and Parker comes in from a distance at pace and hit him on the head.

I don't doubt Parker was going for the ball, but the way he did was was extremely careless as it was inevitable he was going to make head contact with a player who had their head over the ball - who was there first.

People saying Impey's technique was poor are simply stupid, he was already low, what was he meant to do? Stand up right, crouch a little and brace? He had every right to grab the ball without being hit in the head.

This is a massive blunder from the AFL, fine they say he had no alternative, but to blame Impey? Please.

Also, to say Parker had the correct technique and that he had to protect himself, from what? Getting a head in the balls? Seriously, if it was two upright players going at the same ball it was good technique, but that attack vs someone who is already down low with their head over the ball and was there first - poor technique, lucky he didnt do any significant damage.

The AFL to show some balls and appeal this insane decision from Christian? One would hope so.

Parker bumped Impey in the head - he crashed his hip into Impey's forehead - and Impey was helped off the field, dazed and bleeding

Play was held up for a minute while trainers tended to him

What game were you watching ? :rolleyes:
Impey came back on so Hawthorn should be fined for bringing a dazed player back on without doing a concussion test.
That was the game I was watching.
One thing we know for sure though is that the Hawks went soft after that incident.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he breaks his neck 12 weeks. But because he is ok maybe a fine. System is fuxed

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

That is EXACTLY why the game is FKD. I've been saying it for years that the only way around it is to kick the ball along the ground out of congestion. I don't agree that would be a great look either, but once the AFL takes away players diving - or sliding - for the ball then the simple idea of getting the ball becomes even more dangerous (as players have to bend over to pick up the ball which exposes them to neck breaks). The game is currently unplayable. But the players go out there and make the best of it, knowing the rules are extremely gray, and either won't be properly enforced, or will change by the week.

Pretty sure he was bending down to pick up the ball, when he charged head first at Parkers hip, which he was using to protect himself from Jimpeys head
The tap between Parker's legs would have been sublime if he managed to get past Parker's hip.
His technique was poor. Players now are taught to attack the contest but turn their body as Parker did. Impey didn't so became vulnerable the moment he pushed the ball forward. Is that his fault? No way. But it's not Parker's fault the ball was tapped away from him.
But Hawks fans will be upset.
Fair enough too, because we pinched a game they thought they had won.

It doesn’t matter what your opinion of the rule should be, or what happens in NRL...

The AFL stated that the bump was fair and legal as it made contact with his chest and the head contact was accidental.

That’s it.

I’m ignoring your crap about where the blame for an accidental head clash should fall because it’s the sort of crap that would make our game a mockery.

BF is all about opinions.

You have yours. I have mine.

And the AFL flip flops all over the place.

Last year Burton would have gone. Flip flop a year and its a different interpretation.

Plenty of expert commentators think the AFL got the Burton call wrong and I agree.

You dont simply because hes a Hawks player.

Simply stating 'well thats what the AFL judged so it must be ok' is flawed because the jokers keep back flipping every year and changing their interpretation.

How orher sports judge actions that lead to serious injury is a relevant discussuon point simply because the AFL arent very good nor consistent. But that doesnt suit your argument so you chose to ignor it.

Thats your perogative.

Plenty of expert commentators think the AFL got the Burton call wrong and I agree.

You dont simply because hes a Hawks player.
I don’t simply because IT WAS ACCIDENTAL HEAD CONTACT.

Are you saying it is Impey's fault?

If so that is rubbish, already down low, ball goes past him out of the contest, he turns around already low and Parker comes in from a distance at pace and hit him on the head.

I don't doubt Parker was going for the ball, but the way he did was was extremely careless as it was inevitable he was going to make head contact with a player who had their head over the ball - who was there first.

People saying Impey's technique was poor are simply stupid, he was already low, what was he meant to do? Stand up right, crouch a little and brace? He had every right to grab the ball without being hit in the head.

This is a massive blunder from the AFL, fine they say he had no alternative, but to blame Impey? Please.

Also, to say Parker had the correct technique and that he had to protect himself, from what? Getting a head in the balls? Seriously, if it was two upright players going at the same ball it was good technique, but that attack vs someone who is already down low with their head over the ball and was there first - poor technique, lucky he didnt do any significant damage.
Yes Iam saying it was impeys fault, I've seen the footage impeys eyes are fixed on Parker yet still chooses to not protect his head. you expect Parker to adjust his speed and way up his the options yet the bloke leaving himself wide open by choice gets a free pass. Double standards.

Impeys eyes glance up at Parker when he spun around .impeys not stupid he knew he was going to wear some impact and instead of rolling his shoulder and spinning with the impact he left his head open to take the bump instead because he knew and everyone else knew he would've received a free kick, even Carey groaned when lingy went on his poor me rant straight after..
that's what happens when you reward stupidity.

Should have been charged & fined for being dopey & not "sophisticated enough" & leading with his head.
If anything he should be sent a warning by the afl, what he did is not something junior players should be seeing on a Friday night as a way of drawing a free kick
The calls for Parker to be suspended are such a simple and basic way of looking at the incident, afl is such a unique game there's no offside rules an oval ball which in itself throws so many variables into the equation.
Parker already had speed and momentum trying to get to the contest to help his team-mate out before it even come out in his direction
Players have been attacking the footy like Parker since day dot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back