GWS
Luke Power

ml_power_narrow_20120802152223159270-300x0.jpg

Height:
180cm
Weight: 79kg
D/O/B: 8/1/1980
Position: Utility

A BUMBLING start to his AFL career makes it a miracle that Luke Power even played one game of senior football.
But his incredible talent and champion personality always suggested he was headed straight for one of the AFL's most elite groups - the 300 club.
Ahead of the Giants' clash with the Melbourne Demons in Canberra on Saturday where 32-year-old Power will play his 300th AFL game, the GWS assistant coach-captain was yesterday credited with having an enormous impact on the admirable culture building out at Blacktown.
It's hard to imaging that being the case, judging from the way his own career started to develop at Brisbane in 1998.
"The first thing he ever did was tell me to f... off,'' former Brisbane Lions great and Giants welfare and development manager Craig Lambert said.
"Let me tell you, they said he's got Lambert-like hands. He doesn't. He never did. When he got drafted to Brisbane at the end of 1997 Mike Sheahan wrote a story about him having Lambert-like hands and all of Lukey's mates served it up to him. I was sort of just reading his body language, but I thought he looked a bit anxious about coming to Brisbane from Melbourne. So I thought I'd call him and welcome him to the club.
"When he answered I said 'Hi Luke this is Craig Lambert. Welcome to the Brisbane footy club'. He obviously didn't believe me and said 'good on you f...wit, who is this'? I said: "Well it's Craig Lambert and we're not off to a good start''. Then there was just silence on the other end for about 10 seconds. He didnt know how to apologise.''

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...gacy-at-the-club/story-fn865146-1226451237575

Power calls it a day:

Three-time premiership player Luke Power has announced his retirement from playing to take on a full-time coaching role with Greater Western Sydney.
Power joined the Giants at the end of 2011 after playing 282 games with the Brisbane Lions, where he was part of Leigh Matthews' legendary team which won three consecutive flags from 2001.
He played 20 matches for the Giants in 2012 and was one of the club's inaugural captains along with Callan Ward and Phil Davis.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-09-18/lions-legend-power-retires/4267716

Last edited:

Easy to say in hindsight but given Power was prepared to go around again this year and what little Thornton has offered us, hard not to think we would of been better of squeezing another 6-8 games out of Power rather then picking up Thornton.

Thats a good call. Thornton has been disappointing (play him up forward!). But hard to be a defender for us right now. If we continue to bring in players on the verge of retiring, they need to be real leaders - not just squad players.

I didn't rate Power all that much during the year, but boy do we miss him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back