Luke Power

Remove this Banner Ad

Tom FC

Senior List
Nov 2, 2000
This is the first in what I hope will be a series of topics on Lions' players and their roles in 2001. In 2000, many player took on new rules, with varying success.
Darryl White and Chris Johnson's moves to defence were a big positive, while Adam Heuskes didn't fare so well in the forwardline.
Luke Power moved from the half-forward flank to the pocket, and became possibly the best small forward in the league.
He's the player I want to talk about first.

I think that, with his desire to play in the midfield, he may move further out towards the flank, and play as a link like he did last year, but with the instructions to dart in and kick goals when he has the opportunity.
For any soccer fans out there, very much like Harry Kewell's role at Leeds United. This would enable him to make the most of all his abilities, though he would have to improve his foot-passing, which ha let him down on a couple of occasions.

Anybody agree/disagree?

I agree with you Tom about Luke Power's potential as a goal sneak, but there is one thing that he could improve. When the ball is up in the foward line he should plant him self at Lynchy's side.

Although Lynch's marking has improved remarkably since the 1998 season, he still is incline to miss the odd few. As long as Lynchy can knock the ball to the ground, and Power is always by Lynch's side, Power would be one of the best small forwards in the league.

The lack of small, effective forward line crumbers that Brisbane have had in the past few seasons has been their downfall, especially against teams like North Melbourne and Essendon, who always have small men up either end of the ground sitting at the feet of their own and opposition's forwards.

Just a thought, and another thing, sometimes Power wants to give it off to other people, when he's only 10-15 metres from the goal line. Although it's good that he's not goal hungry, and he is sort of doing the team thing, this sort of play only maximises the chance of stuffing it up, and several times we've missed a goal because of it.

I DEFINATLY AGREE WITH BOTH OF U, LUKE HAS SOME DEFINATE DOWNFALLS IN HIS GAME BUT ALL HE CAN DO FROM THEM IS LEARN FROM THEM, AS WE HAVE SEEN IN THE TIME HE HAS BEEN PLAYING WITH US.

HE IS A CHAMPION ON AND OFF THE FIELD, HE IS JUST AN ALL ROUND NICE FELLA. GREAT WITH HIS SUPPORTERS, AND VERY DOWN TO EARTH FELLA AND NOT AN EGOTISTIC PERSON AT ALL WHICH IS WHY WE LOVE OUR LUKEY SO MUCH.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back