Gugs9

Team Captain
Apr 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
AC Milan
This deserves its’ own thread after luke shuey’s last quarter today.

750m gained, 20 contested possessions, 11 clearances and 15 possessions in the last quarter alone.

If Luke Shuey doesn’t get his much deserved first All Australian in 2019, fold the comp :fire:

Oct 9, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Don't know if he'll get it this season, but an AA would cap off a fine career. Certainly one of our best mids in club history.
Premiership player, Norm Smith medallist, club b&f, AA. Incredible that he still hasn't got one yet.

UpsideDown

Team Captain
Apr 25, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
What a clutch player. Time and time he lifts when we need it most and does it with clearances and ferocious tackles. All the come from behind wins last year and this, have been led by him.

Hard for any West Coast mid to get into AA, often overlooked by the vic centric AA panel and give it to the big namers who haven't delivered in the nearly the same way as Shuey has for us.

DanWCE

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 2, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
I pulled out my 2017 guernsey this morning and flipped it over. Damn, alas it was the version without the '13' and 'SHUEY' plastered across the back. I shoved it back in the drawer and dug a little deeper for the real guernsey I sought. It felt like the day for Norm to have a big one and he blew it up in the second half! My guy ❤️🏆

Apr 30, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
I said a few rounds back (after Adelaide I think)... THE most underrated player in the league. Wouldn't swap him for any other mid, definition of clutch. If not considered "elite" then the system is ******. Top 5 player in the league without doubt
a hundred per cent this. There are big game players, and then, there are big MOMENT players. He is both.

Doashuey

Premiership Player
Sep 13, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Deserves it but won't get it. Most under rated player in the comp and last GF is the perfect example.

wc_eagles_since86

Team Captain
Apr 25, 2019
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Boston Bruins, Liverpool
There are quite a few players who I think get more average disposals but don't have the all-round skills that Shuey does.
One of the BEST parts of his game is his tackling. The man can wrap up even the biggest fellas and nail the faster ones too. There are many wonderful midfielders who can run, kick and gun but can't tackle for s**t.

Apr 30, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
There are quite a few players who I think get more average disposals but don't have the all-round skills that Shuey does.
One of the BEST parts of his game is his tackling. The man can wrap up even the biggest fellas and nail the faster ones too. There are many wonderful midfielders who can run, kick and gun but can't tackle for ****.
Shuey has a multi-faceted, all-round game. Great kicking off either foot, congestion-busting turn of speed/awareness, tackling, etc. But what makes him great is his ability to turn these attributes on in the most clutch moments. Grand finals, close finishes, after-the-siren goals in extra-time finals, and so on. I'm not sure what more the bloke can do.

Also, he's a 'proper' good bloke. [y'all know who I'm comparing him to].

Jul 19, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Seriously lucky to have him and Yeo working two ways. Complete players.

Shuey just gets football, he's a footballers footballer. Tackles, dual sided, bounces, shrugs tackles, draws players, attacking mindset.

Geniunely dual sided. The amount of players who need to 'get on their right side' before they can execute a play is plain embarrassing.

Avalor

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
Jakarta
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth, Donnybrook, Chelsea
This deserves its’ own thread after luke shuey’s last quarter today.

750m gained, 20 contested possessions, 11 clearances and 15 possessions in the last quarter alone.

If Luke Shuey doesn’t get his much deserved first All Australian in 2019, fold the comp :fire:

Totally agree. Should definitely be AA.

Candiru

Premiership Player
Jan 27, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
I wonder if there's any suggestion within the club about Shuey taking over the captaincy in 2020. Hurn has been amazing but 2020 might be his final year. Perhaps time for a handover to Shuey for 2 years? Not a big deal either way but Chingy would be a fine captain.

beatlesmith

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2006
Roberts Rd
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal, Cavs, West Perth
The question of "who would you pick to kick a goal to save your life?" has been asked a lot, but I think Shuey might be the answer to "who would you pick to win a crunch time clearance to save your life?".

Extraordinary performance in the fourth quarter today. The only better final quarter I can recall is his performance against GWS in 2017.

He would be a wonderful captain if given the chance.

In terms of AA, I doubt he will be picked. The AA midfield tends to be made up of the obvious number one midfielders of their respective teams; the likes of Cripps, Fyfe, Dangerfield and Martin. Shuey, Yeo, Gaff and Sheed are all of similar abilities, meaning that none of them rack up the numbers that you need to get AA nods or Brownlows.

With that being said, he will still end up as an Eagles legend and perhaps the defining player of the team's decade.

Back