Spange

Club Legend
May 24, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
NBA: Thunder
Love this lad. Excellent choice. He absolutely loves the club and his teammates.

Congrats, Boots!
Well deserved.
View attachment 790003

This has got me tearing up. He will be an excellent on and off the field leader. Such a good role model for kids to look up to.

really proud of all he has achieved. Not in the limelight like the Vic players but delivers in spades when it matters as demonstrated in the 2018 grand final.

I'm toasting to Luke today at lunch at the tavern. Beer me

Was always the right choice. This has been a long time coming. Well done Boots.

Can’t help but think Hurn stepping down prematurely was at least in part to allow Shuey to become captain

Great choice that surprised nobody

Interesting that McGovern is one of the two vice captains along with JK given the criticism he sometimes unfairly receives for being selfish. Obviously not a sentiment shared by the playing group

Oct 29, 2007
Perth Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
SuperFooty (AFL)

@superfooty

·
Dec 6

Port set to confirm Ollie Wines has been dumped as captain, with Tom Jonas set to lead Port Adelaide. http://bit.ly/2Lru2LG

See now that is how you dont do a captain change over.

Boak did the right thing stepping down. But they were indecisive of who to have and went with two captains , Ollie then and goes and hurts himself and struggled all year.

Wouldn't be surprised if Ollie Wines leaves and heads home.

Mico89

Team Captain
Apr 26, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
giphy.gif

Sep 12, 2013
10 min from Optus
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lakers Claremont
This is what was written up as a draft profile back in 2009.

1575602801917.png

Luke Shuey (Oakleigh Chargers/Vic Metro)
Height: 183.5cm
Weight: 87.6kg
Preferred foot: Right/dual sided
Playing Style: Inside midfielder
Potential: 8-8.5/10

Strengths
  • Reads the stoppages well – reacts quickly, good at getting first hand on it – gets front and centre and regularly put himself in the best position to rove
  • Ethic is impressive – 100% team player (others will shine because of his hard yakka) – asked by coach to play on Rich in WA vs VM and nullified him (kept him to 5d for the half – most in junk time), works both ways consistently, provides multiple efforts, 1%ers and always looks to be thinking about his game
  • All-round athleticism – very good engine as evidenced by his ability to run out games in the midfield, good agility as evidenced by his quick movements in traffic and surprisingly good pace
  • Very effective tackler – rarely get past him - good defensive agility
  • Fine handballing skills – quick, good reflexes and vision in traffic – distributes well to runners adv consistently
  • High possession winner
  • Strong and well developed bodywise – AFL ready in his first season
  • Dual sided – comfortable using either side of the body proficiently (e.g. LF snap goal vs Vic Country looked very natural)
  • Mr consistent – just keeps producing the goods week in week out – possibly the most consistent player in this draft – 2008 VM U18 MVP
  • Can kick goals through the midfield
  • Very solidly built
Weaknesses
  • Doesn’t use his speed/agility enough as – good scope to develop that side of his game and make him an inside/outside midfielder rather than just an inside midfielder which he is now
  • Not as routinely clean below the knees as you'd like for an inside midfielder - Is prone to fumbling
  • Slightly inconsistent kick – below average kicking efficiency, however natural technique (as evidenced by being dual sided, DM questionable at times, - lacks penetration beyond 50m – uses it by hand much more than by foot (low K/H ratio), but I think his kicking has scope to at least move into the average category - also must remember many of his possessions come under pressure (very high contested possession winning rate)
  • Plays shorter than his height suggests – very little aerial presence - although DC results suggest he’s at a reach advantage for his height and his vertical leap is above average though which contradicts.

Overall
Shuey has all the tools to make it at the next level and is one of the safer prospects. He’s a very good chance to be the leader and rock of his side’s midfield. I think his value is a mid to late first rounder – very difficult to get high quality inside midfielders with picks beyond the first round and when you do get one they’re of tremendous value to the team, especially in finals football (though I expect him to go later than that on draft day as most will see others with more upside).

Aug 4, 2003
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Great appointment - been on the cards for years.

I was one of those chooks who wanted him to have it back in 2017...then Bunga goes and smashes out a cheeky flag (with some help from Norm).

Great stuff though - time to start working on the next crop of leaders, hoping we see someone under 25 in the Leadership group.

Hap Hapablap

I'm off to Nepal to become a mountain goat.
Jun 27, 2006
Where the cows go bong.
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lakers,Internazionale, Man U
SuperFooty (AFL)
@superfooty

·
Dec 6

Port set to confirm Ollie Wines has been dumped as captain, with Tom Jonas set to lead Port Adelaide. http://bit.ly/2Lru2LG

See now that is how you dont do a captain change over.

Boak did the right thing stepping down. But they were indecisive of who to have and went with two captains , Ollie then and goes and hurts himself and struggled all year.

Wouldn't be surprised if Ollie Wines leaves and heads home.

wow tom jonas? really?

well deserved. two games that stick to mind

the goal against port after the siren in the final.

and the 2018 grand final. those tears after the game as he embraced mitchell.... whats this salty discharge... fu** sake.

According to Champion Data Shuey's game during the 2018 GF was the best ever in his career so far. What a f***ing jet.

All hail Captain Shuey and may death come quickly to his enemies.

Aug 31, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Excellent news 👍 Luke deserves this so much, to watch him grow and develop as a player and person has been brilliant. He is a true leader and the fact that a decision has been made and ratified so quickly is a testament to the belief and faith the playing group and club has in him. Go Boots!

I expect this to be the lead story on Channel Eagle news tonight. There may be some triggered supporters of certain other teams today... 😛

Abed

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Great appointment - been on the cards for years.

I was one of those chooks who wanted him to have it back in 2017...then Bunga goes and smashes out a cheeky flag (with some help from Norm).

Great stuff though - time to start working on the next crop of leaders, hoping we see someone under 25 in the Leadership group.

Hopefully MON is included ASAP - might make him re-consider his undoubted future move back to Tassie.

ziad

Brownlow Medallist
May 2, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
Can’t help but think Hurn stepping down prematurely was at least in part to allow Shuey to become captain

Great choice that surprised nobody

Interesting that McGovern is one of the two vice captains along with JK given the criticism he sometimes unfairly receives for being selfish. Obviously not a sentiment shared by the playing group
Obviously - for the 18 GF he selfishly left his hospital; bed jut to get more frequent flyer points

Back