Luke Surman released from contract

Remove this Banner Ad

I see what you mean, but I don't agree that our expectations, do not come into the scenario of what we hope from a young prospect. Actually, what you read on BF, is only a summation, pardon the pun, of information released by the club, or other sources, about what level a particular player could or should reach. This must put pressure on the youngsters, and like in all walks of life, can put tense pressure on the individual, causing stress.

Yeah, I came across a little harsher than I intended.

I didn't mean to dismiss the "weight of expectations" which is real, I just was trying to say that those expectations don't set the standards of success. The opposition does that. The training and commitment demands on a player are set by the opposition, not expectations. Expectations can obviously make them harder to bear, hence the reason players are always talking about one game at a time, etc. Deflect the expectations and focus on the moment.

There were mumblings in the preseason he was struggling with the professionalism required (there was a reference to a rookie player being a mummy's boy and well it was pretty easy to do the math). Poster in question was quite unimpressed with his efforts and attitude. Still I hope he finds something to fall back on, and it is not for everyone to live an elite professional lifestyle.

I posted in the pre season that a Hawthorn player was homesick. I didn't name him. I don't know who the poster is that you say described Surman as being a mummy's boy. I don't want to know and for the record I can say that it wasn't me.

I posted in the pre season that a Hawthorn player was homesick. I didn't name him. I don't know who the poster is that you say described Surman as being a mummy's boy. I don't want to know and for the record I can say that it wasn't me.
Relax Number 24 :) I love your work, I don't even remember who posted it.

I remember that. Can't remember who posted it either. There was a bit of a storm at the time. All a bit personal on the judgements here.

Being called a mummy's boy is extremely tame compared to other things I've read on bf. Anyway, mummy's boy
or homesick, he's not happy so he has to go home and maybe start footy again.

Really feel for Luke, a very brave decision to make. When you realise your dream job just isn't going to work out, it is devastating, especially after all those years of training and sacrifice to make it this far.

I hope Luke has some career plans or amnitions outside of footy as I've seen far too many young men be caught out after not making the cut.
Best of luck for all of his future endeavours :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really feel for Luke, a very brave decision to make. When you realise your dream job just isn't going to work out, it is devastating, especially after all those years of training and sacrifice to make it this far.

I hope Luke has some career plans or amnitions outside of footy as I've seen far too many young men be caught out after not making the cut.
Best of luck for all of his future endeavours :thumbsu:

All those years???

Wasn't he a basketballer who had only recently decided to give Aussie Rules a try???

Remove this Banner Ad

Back