Lumumba threatens to sue

Remove this Banner Ad

"Héritier had played for Collingwood with all of his heart. Now his heart was breaking."

brilliant article. Discrediting, humiliating H instead of embracing him was a fork in the road. It may well have been the PR dept. that decided how it would go, but it was Buckley that led the public campaign.

I still don't get that McGuire has to walk but not a peep about Buckley's role in the systemic racism, and Lumumba's treatment specifically?

Hmm, I was behind Lumumba on this because of how believable his account was (I could relate through occurrences in my personal life) but I am not sure that someone who is uncomfortable with the “Chimp” nickname would call themselves “Chimp” or name their animal as “Chimpanzee”.

All I’ll say is that it is one thing to tolerate it and play along with it and another thing to take this nickname to people not within your circle of friends/club mates.

Hmm, I was behind Lumumba on this because of how believable his account was (I could relate through occurrences in my personal life) but I am not sure that someone who is uncomfortable with the “Chimp” nickname would call themselves “Chimp” or name their animal as “Chimpanzee”.

All I’ll say is that it is one thing to tolerate it and play along with it and another thing to take this nickname to people not within your circle of friends/club mates.

It would be interesting if the person who did this "interview" with Harry recalls anything about it. TBH its absolutely critical to any investigation moving forward.

It would be interesting if the person who did this "interview" with Harry recalls anything about it. TBH its absolutely critical to any investigation moving forward.
Yeah it may be critical. Lumumba’s reliability, honesty and impartiality is crucial if his accounts are going to be relied upon as part of an investigation or review.

Making a claim or accusation alone is not enough if a person does not display a high level of the above characteristics

I'll add what I said in the other thread:

This is proof that the nickname was public knowledge.

Buckley claiming not to know is now suspect, in my mind.

If he didn't know, he should have. The club should have flagged this as an issue and acted. That they didn't is, in my mind, evidence of systemic failure and ammunition for Lumumba should it go to court.

The club hierarchy should protect its employees, particularly younger ones who are more vulnerable to a bad culture.

This looks like proof positive that the Collingwood Football Club failed in its duty of care.

Didn't he threaten to sue Melbourne for not picking him?
I can't find anything about that. Just people backing up Lumumba's claims.

Speaking exclusively to foxfooty.com.au, Roos reflected on his first meeting with Lumumba.

“He (Lumumba) told me that story about being called Chimp,” Roos said to foxfooty.com.au.

“I was shocked and blown away. He was clearly pretty distraught about the situation and at the time didn’t know what to do with it.

“Ben Matthews was with me at the time at a café for a coffee. When he started telling the stories we were just like ‘how could this possibly happen at a footy club.’ It was quite disturbing.”

Roos also conceded he found Lumumba’s claims “quite confronting” in late 2014.

“Part of the responsibility of a coach and leaders is to create an inclusive environment where everyone feels safe and comfortable,” he said.
“When he got to Melbourne I could speak more highly of his character and what he brought to the footy club and how invested he was with his teammates.

Last edited:
"could" speak more highly????
COULDN'T !!!!

GOD DAMN IT why is this so prevelant?
For example, so many times people will say " I could care less" , NO !!! You could not (or couldn't care leass)
JUST STOP IT FFS.

COULDN'T !!!!

For example, so many times people will say " I could care less" , NO !!! You could not (or couldn't care leass)
JUST STOP IT FFS.
SYSTEMIC GRAMMATICAL ERRORS AT MAJOR SPORTING CLUB!

hmm I have a serious laughing efficiency.. not trying to demean the issue at hand.. but I have a difficulty when it comes to laughing
or not being too serious about things that to me seem like a fragging issue.... like to see both sides of the coin.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lumumba will get sweet FA on his “claim”. I hope it runs to a hearing. Listening to this attention seeking idiot give evidence would be hilarious. A QC will have a field day with him

Lumumba will get sweet FA on his “claim”. I hope it runs to a hearing. Listening to this attention seeking idiot give evidence would be hilarious. A QC will have a field day with him
He might drop the naïve rhetorical flourishes in court evidence on advice from his lawyer.

Documented evidence and witness statements would be pretty damning of the club, IMO, whether or not Lumumba calls himself a prince.

COULDN'T !!!!

JUST STOP IT FFS.
Another instance of the American disease that's creeping in. Don't people realise what they're saying? Another is "a couple days" - NO, it's a couple OF days. Then there's "do the math".

Then again, maybe Roos COULD speak more highly of Heritier, if he had a mind to ;)

He might drop the naïve rhetorical flourishes in court evidence on advice from his lawyer.

Documented evidence and witness statements would be pretty damning of the club, IMO, whether or not Lumumba calls himself a prince.

Haha * me dead, I had completely forgot about the "Prince who will laugh last" thing. Racially vilified or not, he's a strange bloke.

To be fair to Sam, he was quite reasonable on his podcast yesterday. rod Law who is also on the podcast came back at him and made reasonable arguments.
I will have a listen when I get the chance.

Surely there is a statute of limitations on nicknames.

It's like HL wants blood now. The punishment he wants is completely out of proportion with what happened to him.

I think he needs a little forgiveness for the players that called him 'chimp' because he:
a) called himself 'chimp'
b) allowed others to call him 'chimp'
c) felt comfortable enough to mention it in a footy record interview

If an apology will help this guy move on give him an a apology.

The nickname wasn't with any ill intent because racism wasn't acceptable 10 years ago. It was 8 years ago Adam Goodes pointed out that child in the crowd and everyone agreed it was unacceptable.

He'd be better off trying to educate people as to why they shouldn't call people these names instead of baying for blood and trying to destroy the legacy of the club, McGuire, Buckley, teammates.

This is almost like Mark Taylor coming out of the woodwork now saying the nickname 'tubby' gave him an eating disorder, made him suicidal. Suing CA, going after ex Australian and NSW teammates. The first thing anyone would say is didn't you go along with the nickname for your entire playing career? You never told anyone to stop using it?

At some point HL needs to move on and acknowledge that he encouraged the use of the nickname in a group of uneducated young men in their 20's.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back