FlyingBurittoBro

Club Legend
Mar 21, 2011
Space
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
broncos
Hey I couldn't find a thread on this show!
Has anyone seen it?
Easily one of the best TV shows to come out last year.
New season starts in a couple of days.

[YOUTUBE]iHDeIspEW6Q[/YOUTUBE]

well rocker you must put it as close to the top of your list as you can. It's a truly brilliant program that sits pretty much along side Sherlock Holmes and Eastbound and Down as the best of 2010. And I don't know why but British programs only seem to run for 6 episodes so it won't take long to get into. The character of Luther is played by the same guy who plays Stringer Bell in The Wire and he does an incredible job for this show.

Thanks for the tip on the new series, time to start downloading! I'd heard the second series was going to be two, two hour episodes, that was the case just after the first series finished, I'm not sure about now.

I really liked the first series, it did have a few clunky moments, but overall they did pretty well I thought. I downloaded the series after episode two, as I couldn't wait for the ABC, and then even watched the last couple on TV as well, and for some reason the locally shown version has had bits removed compared to the ones I downloaded. Since the series revolves around the weird relationship between Luther and Alice Morgan, I found it baffling that they'd cut out bit of dialogue between the two that I found to be significant. One was the church scene in episode 5 and the other was in episode 6, just after Luther threw his recently retrieved gun into the river, and then asked Alice why she'd killed her parents. You'd think if you needed to loose 30 seconds or so, there'd be plenty of other opportunities to edit elsewhere. I would have bought the DVD, but was worried as to which version I'd be getting, so never did.

I thought Idris Elba was okay in it, could have been better at times, but Ruth Wilson was great as Alice, I'd never seen her in anything before that, but she sure can act. The woman who played Luther's boss was a laugh, dodgy accent and all, they could definitely have done better there.

well rocker you must put it as close to the top of your list as you can. It's a truly brilliant program that sits pretty much along side Sherlock Holmes and Eastbound and Down as the best of 2010. And I don't know why but British programs only seem to run for 6 episodes so it won't take long to get into. The character of Luther is played by the same guy who plays Stringer Bell in The Wire and he does an incredible job for this show.

yeah l will get it. l am liking more and more English shows like Sherlock,white chapel,peep show and started watching the street.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wife and I just watched series 1 last night all in a row (couldn't stop putting the next episode on and we were up until past 2am). We watched 1st episode of series 2 today while the boy was asleep. Great series. Will watch the next 2 episodes tonight and look forward to the final episode this coming week. :)

It took me a while, but I finally finished season 1.

What was a solid - but not amazing - show for 4 episodes, suddenly picked up big time for the final two episodes.

I would probably have to give it time and watch again, but right now I rate that ending to episode 5 as close to the Dexter season 4 finale.

Won't give spoilers, for those that haven't seen it.

Fantastic final two episodes.

i was more frustrated by that than bored. ffs stop going back to your mother she is a terrible person!

Banged out the 10 eps over the past week. Really enjoyable series.
Here are some thought (with SPOILERS):

If you like crime/drama series this is your type of show. Like a more polished version of Dexter. Or a juiced up, more in depth, less episodic version of Criminal Minds.

Idris Elba (Stringer Bell for The Wire fans) is awesome as the main character. Obviously a fantastic actor - some of his 'anger' scenes in season 1 were brilliantly done. He even brought his Stringer Bell gangster walk which I found oddly funny.

The Alice character is everything Nicole Kidman has tried to be this past decade. Lots of crazy, suspense filled scenes that she played beautifully. The best indicator for me is that I could empathise with and understand the actions of this psychopath. That's usually means that the writing is solid and the acting is believable.

The other characters are pretty good. No weak links really. The long, atmospheric, suspense building chase scenes are superbly done imo - I love that they showed the gritty, grungy England backstreets.

A couple of criticisms though:
1) I have a soft spot for British girls (the accent gets me) but the damsel in distress storyline got boring, pretty quickly. Didn't invest too heavily in the young whore/bad mother plot that dominated season 2.
2) The scene where the masked killer kidnaps Ripley in his car (S2E1) was a complete failure. In the scene, the detectives are transporting a witness home - with the two cops in front and the witness in the backseat. The witness and his partner go inside to check the place out (the misdirection). During this, the killer appears in the backseat to ready to kidnap Sam. Are we suppose to believe that the killer was in the backseat the whole time? Really glaring flaw in an otherwise good story.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back