LVFL 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many times, apart from knowing it happened last year with bridgy, has a suspension been cut Roota. Would have thought deliberately breaking a blokes face earned anyone a month off
When Prest got 4 reduced to 2 was the report a result of an investigation or a match day report? Surely having an independent investigatior rule a suspension is warranted has to speak volumes

Happened a couple of times last year if I remember correctly. Not to mention the investigations that went no where.

I agree I think country footy tribunals and leagues need to dish out harsher penalties. U just cannot have blokes getting belted and suffering these sorts of injuries and players not being rubbed out

When Prest got 4 reduced to 2 was the report a result of an investigation or a match day report? Surely having an independent investigatior rule a suspension is warranted has to speak volumes

I may be mistaken but I think the independant investigator doesn't rule on if there should be a suspension or not and the amount of weeks. His decision is to find out if it's worthy to go before a tribunal or not and presents his information in front of the panel.

I may be mistaken but I think the independant investigator doesn't rule on if there should be a suspension or not and the amount of weeks. His decision is to find out if it's worthy to go before a tribunal or not and presents his information in front of the panel.

Yeah I reckon you are right. U would reckon tho that if an investigation recommends something goes to the tribunal then there must be a reasonable chance of a suspension

Do they run risk of getting additional weeks or is it just upheld or reduced? A lot could depend on wheather or not Pyramid/YC go as well to have their stories heard. Apparently last year only Bridgy went and pleaded their case with no contest

Do they run risk of getting additional weeks or is it just upheld or reduced? A lot could depend on wheather or not Pyramid/YC go as well to have their stories heard. Apparently last year only Bridgy went and pleaded their case with no contest

I've been at a tribunal as the result of an investigation when I had my jaw smashed many years ago. As the victim u do not plead a case or get an opportunity to give ur thoughts on what should happen. U are there to give ur evidence or version of events. The investigator is the man who builds the case.

In this circumstance as a suspension has been handed down I believe it is up to Bridgey to prove why it was not a fair suspension. I wouldn't think either Pryamid or YCW would have any role unless the affected players ar asked to give their evidence again

Yeah I reckon you are right. U would reckon tho that if an investigation recommends something goes to the tribunal then there must be a reasonable chance of a suspension
cant understand how/why you would hit someone from behind or punch a teenager half your age/size and think you have respect of team mates, if you are not man enough to hit someone while they are looking at least be man enough to cop the punishment.

Apparently Jones has had suspension reduced from 5 weeks to 3 weeks.

Inglewood to host elimination final, and Marong the Qualifying final, semi finals to be decided after that. Serp has Prelim and Pyramid Hill the Granny.
Can you imagine how many will turn up to watch the Granny if Bridgy is in 1's and 2's and Calivil are in U18's, 2s and 1s. Wouldn't be expecting a big crowd I would have thought.

Inglewood to host elimination final, and Marong the Qualifying final, semi finals to be decided after that. Serp has Prelim and Pyramid Hill the Granny.
Can you imagine how many will turn up to watch the Granny if Bridgy is in 1's and 2's and Calivil are in U18's, 2s and 1s. Wouldn't be expecting a big crowd I would have thought.

Surprise Surprise

You would think those hosting Clubs would make heaps more if they took it too grounds in or closer to Bendigo. Eaglehawk would work well gor the LV.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

it makes the league look like a joke,the VCFL look like a joke and the worst thing is incidents like this put parents off letting their kids play football and they steer them towards soccer/basketball.

it makes the league look like a joke,the VCFL look like a joke and the worst thing is incidents like this put parents off letting their kids play football and they steer them towards soccer/basketball.

I have spoken players who potentially may have joined clubs in the league next year and this sort of bullshit has them seriously questioning whether they bother

if you hit someone from behind and they are unconcious or a bloody mess on the ground do you think: gee im tough or gee im weak? you would hope its the latter and the bizarre thing is sometimes the victim ends up missing nearly as much or more footy than the hero that did it.

I am not alone in voicing disapproval for reducing any sentence from a special investigation. I would love the Vcfl to send a statement to any club that thinks they should always lodge an appeal against a tribunals decision. Why don't they use that as an opportunity to say, you know what, that penalty was not severe enough and hand out a proper suspension. I cannot believe that in this day and age, if a club feels strongly enough to ask for an investigation, that when found guilty the sentences are so small. Investigations are usually for behind the play dog acts that deserve proper lengthy suspensions, at least in the 6 to 8 weeks territory.
If they challenge the result, there should be a real fear that the tribunal might just hand out extra weeks and not always shorten it.
I sense that one of their main arguments will be that the act occurred a long time ago, and if dealt with quicker the suspension would not have resulted in them potentially missing a grand final. But you know what, if these acts happen near the play, they get reported and dealt with. If you do your handiwork off the play and investigation is needed, that takes time. It's not the AFL with a camera everywhere. Investigations take time. The only way to speed it up is if you plead guilty early and avoid the hassle of the league fully investigating. As such it is not anyone's fault but the offender when the decision is made.

The sentences were too small to start with and in general suspensions are on the light side. It is different in the afl because they have all the cameras and resources and examples to set for the code. Country and metro tribunals are always up against it. You have umpires and volunteer tribunals doing the best they can, but players usually lie and the victims never really put the other bloke in it. The set suspensions have saved a lot people time by taking the set 2 weeks. It works well. The serious cases that go straight to the tribunal and the league investigation cases do not hand out big enough suspensions.
One of the main reasons for this I think is the 16 weeks rule. That magic number that sets the limit for when a player is de-registered from playing footy. With that figure in mind I think it sets the scale for the length of suspension the tribunal dishes out. They probably don't want to see guys deregistered unless they are a dirty bugger and have been reported at least 3 or 4 times. They don't want to get someone close to the limit with one suspension. Rightly or wrongly I think they dish out small suspensions because of the ceiling in place.
A suspension should always last close to what has happened to the victim. Broken jaws require surgery, time off work and a host of other things and about 8 to 10 weeks before you can play footy. The penalty should match that.
Bigger suspensions should be the norm. Many more players would then reach the 16 weeks and not necessarily warrant the intentions of that law. The blokes that reach 16 weeks should still be deregistered but be able to front a panel. The independent state level board would then look at their record. They can confirm their deregistration or, if their history is not so bad, they could then set their last chance number of weeks that would see them finished.
In a nutshell though what everyone is saying is that serious charges should not be met with ludicrously small suspensions. Set the example so there is an actual deterrent for these unsavoury displays.

I have spoken players who potentially may have joined clubs in the league next year and this sort of bullshit has them seriously questioning whether they bother
spot on Roota,say what you want about Baraj (most people do) but at the end of the day Singhy was an AFL listed player who played at a high level and was probably one of the most well known players in country footy but when he was targeted by blokes that would be lucky to get a game in Bendigo reserves and the league let him down he probably thought why bother driving 3 hours to put up with this rubbish-not a good look for the league and as far as these appeals go I heard the 2 players that did the coward punching were close to getting police charges to deal with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back