Analysis Lygon's Blues, Coffee & Brews

Remove this Banner Ad

HalAlaric

All Australian
Aug 19, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Welcome to the thread that aims to bring you an in part series report of all things Carlton.
Going on the discussions of 3-8 avid Carlton supporters which consist of a couple of ex players (none that played for Carlton unfortunately), 3 coaches/assistant coaches in Melbourne schools, and a couple of everyday Joe's like myself who bleed the old dark navy. These discussions ritually take place amidst the tree lined streets of illustrious Lygon Street and are normally accompanied by strong coffee or a cheeky frothie. Tempers can often flare but in the end we are all apart of the same family... The Carlton Football Club.

Disclaimer
*All ideas and thoughts posted from these discussions need to be remembered that they are just that, opinions from individuals that love the club. This thread will contain at times list strategy, player analysis, game tactics, and general club discussion.

PART #1 - LIST MANAGEMENT
I understand that we are at the very beginning of our rebuild and agree with everyone in that we need to blood our youngsters to give them a taste of first football. Having said that, I still believe it is essential for an older core of player so as to not overwork and burn out these young players coming through.
I wanted to highlight a couple of players that I believe could prove worthwhile acquisitions by the club via a possible trade, the draft, players out of contract or free agency. I will highlight the squad players that we need to begin exploring possible replacements for in 2017 and range them in high, medium, low. Obviously with such a young list there may be more outgoing players than those coming in as the younger guys step up.

#1(i) - KPD
At the start of the 2017 season, Michael Jamison will be aged 30, Sam Rowe 29, Simon White 28, Kristain Jaksch 22, Lachie Plowman 22, Jessie Glass-McCasker 20, and Jacob Weitering 19.
Sam Rowe is a biggie for me. Love his endeavour and always seems to be pushing himself at training but in all honesty I have never thought he has had the honed skills required to make it at AFL level. Recruited as a mature age (24yo) player who had spent time on the Swans list, he semi-dispelled this notion of mine in 2014 after having his breakout season and finishing 5th in our B&F. Unfortunately though he is depth in my squad at best.
Michael Jamison is a man I admire a lot. Has faced horrendous injuries throughout his career but is still a commanding general of our backline and a terrific leader. Slotted him in the medium zone as I'm still and always will be worried about his durability as he moves into the twilight of his career.
Simon White was recruited at the age of 21 in the 4th round of the rookie draft. He is a tireless worker all over the park and seems to be very well liked amongst his peers. I have him in the low column as I still believe he can be valuable but does need to be looked more as depth.

My thoughts are that if for whatever reason two of the above were not on the list at years end I would look to bring in one of these players. All info is based on coming into the 2017 season.
THE GUY(s) WITH IMMEDIATE IMPACT
Steven May (GCS - 25yo - 1.9m - Zone Selection) - Contracted through to the end of 2017 it's unlikely the Suns would part with such a integral part of their team. In my opinion he would cost us a late 1st early 2nd rounder.
Daniel Talia - (AC - 25y.o - 1.96m - Recruited #12 in 2009) - Unfortunately has signed till 2021 :(
ALTERNATIVELY (to team up with Wietering for the next 10 years)

• Caleb Marchbank (GWS - 20yo - 1.93m - Recruited #6 in 2014)
  • Hugh Goddard (StK - 20yo - 1.96m - Recruited #21 in 2014)
  • Harris Andrews (BL - 20yo - 2m - Recruited #61 in 2014)
  • Jake Lever (AC - 20yo - 1.94m - Recruited #14 in 2014)
DRAFT 2016
  • Harrison Mccreadie (19yo - 1.95m)
  • Jarrod Berry (19yo - 1.9m)
LAST RESORT RFA/UFA (and because they are CHEAP at least in pick sense)
Will Schofield (WCE - 28yo - 1.96m - Recruited @ #50 in 2006) - Consistently strong and in the last 7 years only played less than 20 games twice (16 in 2013, 17 in 2014). Although an unrestricted free agent I believe he would demand a somewhat inflated price being in the Eagles best 22. His age as well does no favours to the cause, turning 28 at the beginning of the 2018 season. Still he may be an option.
Mitchell Brown (WCE - 28yo - 1.95m - Recruited @ #16 in 2006) - Wanting a trade to return home and gain more senior opportunity in 2012, Brown is now an unrestricted free agent. Yes, his age isn't appealing, and he only played 1 game in 2015 after a serious injury in round 1. Comes with risk but perhaps worth a watch.
Tayte Pears (* - 27yo - 1.91 - Recruited #23 in 2007) - The unrestricted free agent hasn't played for a few years and that wont change as he serves his ban in 2015. Highly touted as a superstar early on in his career he never seemed to quite reach the heights. Did have some big games on Fev though and would be attained for basement price in my opinion. That's if we chose to nab someone like that.

Last edited:
Welcome to the thread that aims to bring you an in part series report of all things Carlton.
Going on the discussions of 3-8 avid Carlton supporters which consist of a couple of ex players (none that played for Carlton unfortunately), 3 coaches/assistant coaches in Melbourne schools, and a couple of everyday Joe's like myself who bleed the old dark navy. These discussions ritually take place amidst the tree lined streets of illustrious Lygon Street and are normally accompanied by strong coffee or a cheeky frothie. Tempers can often flare but in the end we are all apart of the same family... The Carlton Football Club.

Disclaimer
*All ideas and thoughts posted from these discussions need to be remembered that they are just that, opinions from individuals that love the club. This thread will contain at times list strategy, player analysis, game tactics, and general club discussion.

#1 - KPD LIST MANAGEMENT
I understand that we are at the very beginning of our rebuild and agree with everyone in that we need to blood our youngsters to give them a taste of first football. Having said that, I still believe it is essential for an older core of player so as to not overwork and burn out these young players coming through.
I wanted to highlight a couple of players that I believe could prove worthwhile acquisitions by the club via a possible trade, the draft, players out of contract or free agency. I will highlight the squad players that we need to begin exploring possible replacements for in 2017 and range them in high, medium, low. Obviously with such a young list there may be more outgoing players than those coming in as the younger guys step up.

At the start of the 2017 season, Michael Jamison will be aged 30, Sam Rowe 29, Simon White 28, Kristain Jaksch 22, Lachie Plowman 22, Jessie Glass-McCasker 20, and Jacob Weitering 19.
Sam Rowe is a biggie for me. Love his endeavour and always seems to be pushing himself at training but in all honesty I have never thought he has had the honed skills required to make it at AFL level. Recruited as a mature age (24yo) player who had spent time on the Swans list, he semi-dispelled this notion of mine in 2014 after having his breakout season and finishing 5th in our B&F. Unfortunately though he is depth in my squad at best.
Michael Jamison is a man I admire a lot. Has faced horrendous injuries throughout his career but is still a commanding general of our backline and a terrific leader. Slotted him in the medium zone as I'm still and always will be worried about his durability as he moves into the twilight of his career.
Simon White was recruited at the age of 21 in the 4th round of the rookie draft. He is a tireless worker all over the park and seems to be very well liked amongst his peers. I have him in the low column as I still believe he can be valuable but does need to be looked more as depth.

My thoughts are that if for whatever reason two of the above were not on the list at years end I would look to bring in one of these players. All info is based on coming into the 2017 season.
THE GUY(s) WITH IMMEDIATE IMPACT

Steven May (GCS - 25yo - 1.9m - Zone Selection) - Contracted through to the end of 2017 it's unlikely the Suns would part with such a integral part of their team. In my opinion he would cost us a late 1st early 2nd rounder.
Daniel Talia - (AC - 25y.o - 1.96m - Recruited #12 in 2009) - Unfortunately has signed till 2021 :(
ALTERNATIVELY (to team up with Wietering for the next 10 years)

• Caleb Marchbank (GWS - 20yo - 1.93m - Recruited #6 in 2014)
  • Hugh Goddard (StK - 20yo - 1.96m - Recruited #21 in 2014)
  • Harris Andrews (BL - 20yo - 2m - Recruited #61 in 2014)
  • Jake Lever (AC - 20yo - 1.94m - Recruited #14 in 2014)
DRAFT 2016
  • Harrison Mccreadie (19yo - 1.95m)
  • Jarrod Berry (19yo - 1.9m)
LAST RESORT RFA/UFA (and because they are CHEAP at least in pick sense)
Will Schofield (WCE - 28yo - 1.96m - Recruited @ #50 in 2006) - Consistently strong and in the last 7 years only played less than 20 games twice (16 in 2013, 17 in 2014). Although an unrestricted free agent I believe he would demand a somewhat inflated price being in the Eagles best 22. His age as well does no favours to the cause, turning 28 at the beginning of the 2018 season. Still he may be an option.
Mitchell Brown (WCE - 28yo - 1.95m - Recruited @ #16 in 2006) - Wanting a trade to return home and gain more senior opportunity in 2012, Brown is now an unrestricted free agent. Yes, his age isn't appealing, and he only played 1 game in 2015 after a serious injury in round 1. Comes with risk but perhaps worth a watch.
Tayte Pears (* - 27yo - 1.91 - Recruited #23 in 2007) - The unrestricted free agent hasn't played for a few years and that wont change as he serves his ban in 2015. Highly touted as a superstar early on in his career he never seemed to quite reach the heights. Did have some big games on Fev though and would be attained for basement price in my opinion. That's if we chose to nab someone like that.
Can you make the writing a little bit smaller? I can still read it.

...but nice work.

Just so you know, I've given the okay for this discussion as a standalone thread outside of the list discussion thread.

I'm a big advocate for regular niche discussion like you'd see from a columnist. Something people look to follow.

If anybody else has the creativity, drive and format for similar ideas, let us know.

I'm sorry, I don't think I understand the premise.
Are you posting summaries of conversations that you have with your friends?
It is an analytical view point beginning in this part with the list, from a view point of people who have and currently are in the game. I will write as in coach 1 says this, ex player 2 retorts if that makes it more enjoyable to the reader.

Alternatively I can just keep these opinions to myself. We don't do the catch up for the benefit of BF. In fact none of them are even on here. I thought it may be nice to show a formulated point of view which will be seen over the upcoming parts. I was hoping for comments by BF posters in return to additionally go through in the next catch up

Don't be too discouraged HalAlaric, its a good idea.

I like the idea that 'dedicated' Carlton posters can own a thread and essentially shape the conversation therein. If Hal adds to it regularly then there is a much better chance that it will stay on topic when compared to our other discussion threads.

Maybe we can get a few more posters starting up their own threads (well, after asking for the The Old Dark Navy's permission). I know I'd like to hear a little more from some of our more enthusiastic members here.

I'm not trying to discourage you HalAlaric, I just don't understand, perhaps because it's presented as another list management OP. I'm not naturally inclined to be interested in the list management discussions as much as others are, but maybe if there were some specific questions for people to consider you might get more interest/insights?

FWIW - Hal this synopsis encapsulates the problem with our entire list.

3 guys @ 28 yrs plus

3 guys @ 22 yrs or less

and nothing in between!!!

It is going to be a real juggling act for the next 3 years

I.e. Feeding the young guys into the starting 22 when they are ready for it - not so early that it destroys their confidence.

Thank you for all your encouragement and constructive criticism. I will definitely look to improve the future posts by adding these suggestions.
The coming few weeks will be focused more on the list management side of things. Once the season starts and more can be seen of the team and the coaches direction, there will be more game day tactics and player analysis posts.
If anyone has further suggestions about what else they may enjoy seeing on this thread, or have any comments on #1 - KPD List Management to share about players we could target or potential players mentioned above, feel free to add.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the premise behind this thread is that Halaric will use it in some sort of blog-type manner with weekly chapters based on that week's discussions between the members of his Lygon St Coffee Shop sippers.

The idea has some merit, might need a little tweak to make it easier understand etc.

Maybe a different thread title and then each week's post has it's own heading inside the post:

Lygon St Brews & Views : Part 1 - "KPD List Management"
Lygon St Brews & Views : Part 2 - "Leaders & Losers"
Lygon St Brews & Views : Part 3 - "Memberships Are The Lifeblood"
Lygon St Brews & Views : Part 4 - "The Jumper Is An Icon"

I think the premise behind this thread is that Halaric will use it in some sort of blog-type manner with weekly chapters based on that week's discussions between the members of his Lygon St Coffee Shop sippers.

The idea has some merit, might need a little tweak to make it easier understand etc.

Maybe a different thread title and then each week's post has it's own heading inside the post:

Lygon St Brews & Views : Part 1 - "KPD List Management"
Lygon St Brews & Views : Part 2 - "Leaders & Losers"
Lygon St Brews & Views : Part 3 - "Memberships Are The Lifeblood"
Lygon St Brews & Views : Part 4 - "The Jumper Is An Icon"
Maybe instead of rejigging the thread title HalAlaric can just link to each 'episode' (i.e. post) in the OP? That will essentially bookmark each post, making it much easier to navigate between topics.

FWIW - Hal this synopsis encapsulates the problem with our entire list.

3 guys @ 28 yrs plus

3 guys @ 22 yrs or less

and nothing in between!!!

It is going to be a real juggling act for the next 3 years

I.e. Feeding the young guys into the starting 22 when they are ready for it - not so early that it destroys their confidence.
My thoughts exactly Funk and a huge reason why we picked the KPD as our first to discuss. Plus, we were all rapt with Weiterings performance in his first un-official hit out.

If the club was in your hands would you look for a guy in that fits in that 24-26yo bracket via trade, or rely on the likes of Jaksch and Plowman to give support whilst focussing on bringing in another young KD?
I think our picks this year need to be spent better than on another KPD although both do look like they could become guns, and as much as I like May, I would actually love to try nab one of the alternatives.

I'm interested in knowing of any disagreement in the group. Whether ex players or coaches see things differently. Debate about contentious issues in a he said, she said format.

Nth Melbourne have done well with mature aged kpp.
I really liked joel Tippett, would love to bring him over if he's not getting game time behind tarrant, thompson and hansen.
He'd be that stop gap mid 20s kpp.

Alternatively I'd like to send a second rounder Collingwoods way for jake frost.

Champion data rates our defense as our biggest issue. It's the area ins like to be able to set and forget before we settle all the other lines.

Sam durdin and Ben mckay could be future targets.

I'd like to see gorringe developed as a chb, he's got all the physical attributes as long as he can be accountable.
Gcs posters have mentioned they've tried him everywhere with only limited ruck success.

Sam durdin and Ben mckay could be future targets.

I'd like to see gorringe developed as a chb, he's got all the physical attributes as long as he can be accountable.
Gcs posters have mentioned they've tried him everywhere with only limited ruck success.
I like the Sam Durdin possibility. Also never thought of Gorringe back there but could work out quite well. In all honesty though I haven't seen enough of him to be able to stipulate.
Good options all round though

My thoughts exactly Funk and a huge reason why we picked the KPD as our first to discuss. Plus, we were all rapt with Weiterings performance in his first un-official hit out.

If the club was in your hands would you look for a guy in that fits in that 24-26yo bracket via trade, or rely on the likes of Jaksch and Plowman to give support whilst focussing on bringing in another young KD?
I think our picks this year need to be spent better than on another KPD although both do look like they could become guns, and as much as I like May, I would actually love to try nab one of the alternatives.

I am hoping JGM can become the lock-down defender to complement JW's intercepting and rebound.

Remember Jamo was a rookie and I would not want to burn a second round pick unless absolutely necessary.

If we need a "stop gap" I would rather try and scrounge one through FA, or PSD to get us through a couple of years until the young ones are ready.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back