Lynch Gone

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think getting rid of Lynch is purely down to getting rid of an old hat to make way for new blood, i think we've got our sights set on a surprising compensation pick. My guess is that he'll have a few clubs after his signature, he's actually rated higher outside the club by other supporters than our own (which is usually the case)

Predicting end of round 2 compensation pick.

Several picks to the Dogs for points for Darcy and we take their 1st rounder, and we won't bid on Darcy.

Calling it!
So you think Lynch will get a slightly smaller contract than Crouch got at the Saints?

Edit: Actually given Lynch's age, he'd probably need to be on more money than Crouch.

Not if we don't offer him a contract, he won't be. He'll be a DFA - and clubs don't get compensation for those.

Could be a situation similar to Pods or Gibson where they get traded for pick 85. Depends which club he goes to and whether they have FA compo picks of their own.

Could be a situation similar to Pods or Gibson where they get traded for pick 85. Depends which club he goes to and whether they have FA compo picks of their own.
There are a whole range of possibilities...
  • He could be traded for a token pick (as per Pods & Gibson). **
  • He could be signed as a DFA (we get no compensation).
  • He could be our SANFL Captain.
** Those deals were done in order to give certainty, and get the player to their new club ASAP. These are valid reasons why clubs may wish to trade for a player, rather than waiting for them to become available as DFAs. The cost is much the same - a pick that the club wasn't planning on using anyway.

Our list manager really has been the one saving our coaches from themselves over the last few years.

I have no doubt we would still be playing Betts and Jenkins if they were still here and trying to cling to 14th.

At least someone is making the necessary calls.

Our list manager really has been the one saving our coaches from themselves over the last few years.

I have no doubt we would still be playing Betts and Jenkins if they were still here and trying to cling to 14th.

At least someone is making the necessary calls.
That's the whole point of list management & coaching being at arms length from each other.

The coach's job is to make best use of the resources he has available to him in the here & now. That frequently includes selecting players who won't be on the list in future years. His job is about the now.

The list manager's job is about planning for the needs of the list in future years. The here & now should not play any bearing in the decisions they make - they should be all about the future.

So you think Lynch will get a slightly smaller contract than Crouch got at the Saints?

Edit: Actually given Lynch's age, he'd probably need to be on more money than Crouch.

To qualify for UFA compensation the offer to player has to be for a minimum of 2 years.

Brad Crouch lost out on $$'s offered to him because he was after length of contract, and the saints put a games played trigger clause in there due to injury concerns. We were give a Band 3 compensation pick for him because only $550-600k per year was guaranteed money, and that is what the compensation picks are based off.

Lynch is going to get no more than 2 years from another club.

After that it's based purely off their yearly salary, and a bonus for their age (which isn't a huge bonus)

Anyone over the age of 30 does not attract this bonus.

Rory Atkins attracted a Band 4 compensation pick (end of round round 2) on a contract worth $400K per year for 4 years.

Again, Atkins has foregone $$'s per year in lieu of the length of the contract, which is clearly turning out to be a lucrative decision for him.

My guess is that Lynch only needs a 2 year offer on $450-$500k per year for us to be given an end of 2nd round draft pick as compensation (Band 4)

More importantly, i think this likely compensation pick has factored heavily into our decision making in terms of not offering him a new contract.

Our data guru Binuk has his hands all over this one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not if we don't offer him a contract, he won't be. He'll be a DFA - and clubs don't get compensation for those.

AFL rules simply state a net loss of Free Agents is what determines a compensation pick.

Can you point to anywhere in the rules where it states we have to offer a new contract?

I was under the impression we would still get compensation unless of course no interest arises, and we would delist.

I'm not convinced that's true, but I'm not sure what to google to check.

Did we ever offer Brad Crouch a contract ?
Apparently we did and then withdrew it when the AFL ordained no new contracts etc could be negotiated or signed off on due to Covid and changes to upcoming list sizes was my recollection.?

AFL rules simply state a net loss of Free Agents is what determines a compensation pick.

Can you point to anywhere in the rules where it states we have to offer a new contract?

I was under the impression we would still get compensation unless of course no interest arises, and we would delist.
I can't find where it ways it in the AFL Rules document, but this report from The Age states that "* There will be no compensation for delisted players ".
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/afl-free-agency-how-it-works-20121001-26ue3.html

Strange. Would have thought we'd have at least waiting to see if offers came through?
The club has made a very strange decision, by announcing that they wouldn't be re-signing him now. It's obvious to all and sundry that he's still capable of performing at the AFL level, so I wouldn't have expected this announcement to come so soon.

Presumably there is a plan in place, though we'll have to wait and see what it is. Obviously they wanted to give him a proper farewell, such is the regard inn which he is held, which meant not waiting until after the season had ended.

One of my favourite players over the past decade, I've always felt he didn't get the respect he deserved on here.

I think he could have gone around for another couple of years, but hey, if it means we're committing to a longer-term rebuild then I'm glad we've at least got a plan!

Thanks for everything Lynchy!

FA compo is a joke for a lot of reasons (chiefly because it is paid by all clubs rather than the club that gets the new player), but it would be even worse than it in fact is if we could get compo for a player we are refusing to have in our list.

Bet Gold Coast are on the phone right now

The club has made a very strange decision, by announcing that they wouldn't be re-signing him now. It's obvious to all and sundry that he's still capable of performing at the AFL level, so I wouldn't have expected this announcement to come so soon.

Presumably there is a plan in place, though we'll have to wait and see what it is. Obviously they wanted to give him a proper farewell, such is the regard inn which he is held, which meant not waiting until after the season had ended.

I’m trying to rack my brain trying to figure out what the advantage might be in terms of delisting him instead of waiting for the FA period

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back