Injury Lynch has a small neck fracture

Remove this Banner Ad

I hope Lynch is ok, doesn't sound too serious but the poor guy can't take a trick.

I think it might be time for frees to be paid against people who deliberately duck into a tackle/on coming player. (Having said that I havent seen the incident with Lynch, I'm just going on what people are posting) It's absolute stupidity and it's only a matter of time before there is a serious life threatening injury. If umpires pay a free kick as it's reckless then the players will wise up quickly.

Downside is another rule for an already over officiated game.
The only incentive for a player to duck is to draw a free kick. You can remove this by calling play on. Paying a free kick against is unnecessary as players wont duck if the only thing they have to gain from it is a sore head.

X-Ray and CT scan didn't pick up the fracture, but an MRI did. So I'm guessing it wasn't originally detected.

With three H&A games to go, it's likely his season is done

That's pretty normal. My daughter just had an MRI which found a scaphoid fracture, which two x-rays (and two doctors and three physios) missed.

It's not like he had time to do this. The guy had his jaw broken earlier this season, of course he's going to duck his head when he sees somebody coming toward him like that.

The broken jaw isn't going to erase years of instinctive play - if you want to protect your head, you don't stop, plant your feet and put your head back down. They are the actions of a player wanting to win a free kick, clear and simple.

The broken jaw isn't going to erase years of instinctive play - if you want to protect your head, you don't stop, plant your feet and put your head back down. They are the actions of a player wanting to win a free kick, clear and simple.

In real time it looks like the act of self preservation to me. What other options did he have that could be executed in that amount of time?

In real time it looks like the act of self preservation to me. What other options did he have that could be executed in that amount of time?

As I said above, if he keeps going up, he's not going to get his head caved in. I don't understand this idea of self preservation either - human nature is to protect your head, not put it in more danger. If he wanted to protect himself, you'd see an arm come up, but his entire focus is to duck into the oncoming player.

He miscalculated, clear and simple. Thought he could get a cheap free kick, but a) didn't realise was coming in as quickly as he was; and b) didn't count on hitting the hardest part of Clarke's body, which is probably the most important factor in the severity of the injury.

If he kept his head up he could have injured his jaw again, got hit in the temple or even had his neck bent back the other way. He was stuck between a rock and a hard place IMO.

If he kept his head up he could have injured his jaw again, got hit in the temple or even had his neck bent back the other way. He was stuck between a rock and a hard place IMO.
A few of the players were asked about this during the week on Fox. Universally they said what Lynch did was very dangerous and they spoke about how they are instructed and coached to pick the ball up, turn side on so as not to get put in that position. This went into discussion about how the AFL rules are negatively affecting player safety as players are encouraged to lead with their head and create terrible habits.

If he becomes the player I think he can, he's probably the difference between us making up the numbers and pushing for top 4. Along with the improvement of crouch, Cameron, smith, Jenkins and Cameron. Only have to look at his first quarter last week

Has has rotten luck with impact injuries, so it's not really injury prone, just shocking luck this year!

The Vic media hates the crows. Lynch gets jaw broken, poor jack viney they say! Lynch almost kills himself, burn him at the stake, joel selwood play on! Lol

Caddy did exactly the same thing last night, got the free, play on, won't be a thing said about it, just another thing the media will forget in a week

Is hard to say if he was milking a free or just protecting himself. I would think that it is pretty natural to keep as low as possible when there is someone coming at you as a bit of a defence mechanism. I reckon Lynch was protecting himself as he is not really a "ducker".

However do agree the free kick should be removed. Not just because it would stop the milking of frees in such a dangerous manner, but the reality is there is nothing the defender can do in the instance of being headbutted to the midriff and "causing" this high contact and the defender rarely instigates the contact. In my opinion it is a stupid free kick, should be play on.

When about to be tackled, the best reflex action is to turn sideways and get your arms free from your body so you can give off. When someone is running directly at you, I would have thought that the most natural course of action is to not attack them with your head.

When about to be tackled, the best reflex action is to turn sideways and get your arms free from your body so you can give off. When someone is running directly at you, I would have thought that the most natural course of action is to not attack them with your head.

No I agree that is the best way to brace, but that is easy to say sitting in our lounge rooms. From when he looked up he literally had no time.

When Viney hit Lynch they were talking like about 2 seconds and they were crying that he had no time to do anything else, despite him being squared up and reading for the bump before the ~ 2 seconds count down started. Lynch would have had 10ths or 100ths of seconds to react. He just got his face out of the way, that is all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its a shame to hear Lynch after having the broken jaw now has a broken neck. Obviously he is out for he rest of the season, but is there any info on whether it could be career ending or not? or if he will be able to play next season? Would be a shame to finish having two bad injuries, both of which a millimetre here and there could mean no injury and just a sore head.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back