Traded Lynden Dunn [traded to Collingwood with pick 51 for pick 47]

Remove this Banner Ad

markm106

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Dunn was not playing badly this year. We went with youth which was great as we got a heap of games into some youngsters like Oscar MacDonald and Frost. Also likes of Wagner and Hunt.
Dunn still has reasonable footy left in him. Can't see Melbourne holding out on this deal. It'll be a late pick no doubt.

Theo X

Premiership Player
Jan 18, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
East Wedderburn Trugo Club
Hey Collingwood, please take Garland in stead, Dunn is actually a decent player. After all, we've taken duds like Dawes, Lubumhead and Kennedy off your hands for much more than they were worth.

Quite easily more than Wells, he'll actually be on the field the majority of the time.
What like the 4 AFL games he played this year. Dunn a VFL player now and guys like him dont suddenly get better as they approach 30. He will lose a yard of pace and struggle a little more than he did in 2016.

Jul 14, 2007
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
What like the 4 AFL games he played this year. Dunn a VFL player now and guys like him dont suddenly get better as they approach 30. He will lose a yard of pace and struggle a little more than he did in 2016.
He didn't play because of lack of form or anything like that, we just went with youth and Dunn wasn't suited to the new defensive system put in place.

He's certainly still a capable AFL player, a good vocal leader in defense and an excellent one on one defender with a booming kick.

Like I said before, would not surprise me in the least to see him become your best defender.

He didn't play because of lack of form or anything like that, we just went with youth and Dunn wasn't suited to the new defensive system put in place.

He's certainly still a capable AFL player, an excellent one on one defender with a booming kick.

Like I said before, would not surprise me in the least to see him become your best defender.
So as long as we can hold onto a defense of older style players who struggle with the modern game Dunn could be the best we have

I think Dees will finish ahead of the Pies in 2017 but it's salt on the wound when you hear "he is AFL good but just not Melbourne good. He is not good enough for us but could be your number 1 defender". That makes us a bottom 4 side which I am starting to worry about.

Jul 14, 2007
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
So as long as we can hold onto a defense of older style players who struggle with the modern game Dunn could be the best we have

I think Dees will finish ahead of the Pies in 2017 but it's salt on the wound when you hear "he is AFL good but just not Melbourne good. He is not good enough for us but could be your number 1 defender". That makes us a bottom 4 side which I am starting to worry about.

Dunn was good enough to play for us, we just went with youth and guys like Oscar McDonald, Sam Frost and some of our other younger players were given longer leashes that in seasons gone by probably would have had them dropped rather than persisted with in a new system after a couple of shaky performances.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sprout

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 6, 2010
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
MCFC, The Exers

All joking aside, he's still got some decent footy in him. Good one on one, good overhead and a long accurate kick. He's even slimmed down to try and pick up a yard of pace. I would've rather we kept him than Garland.

He'll surprise you if you pick him up. He didn't fit into Goodwin's plans, that's all.

Mar 11, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood

He's certainly still a capable AFL player, a good vocal leader in defense and an excellent one on one defender with a booming kick.

I disagree with most Pies posters on this board as I think Dunn will be good for us, but better than Reid? Lol. Dunn didn't get a game for Melbourne in 2016. Reid would be your best defender by a fair distance if he played for you.

Jul 14, 2007
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
I disagree with most Pies posters on this board as I think Dunn will be good for us, but better than Reid? Lol. Dunn didn't get a game for Melbourne in 2016. Reid would be your best defender by a fair distance if he played for you.

Couple of things.

1) I didn't say he would be, I said I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up your best defender. Dunn not playing in 2016 wasn't a form or ability thing, it was simply a youth movement and Dunn not being in Goodwin's plans going forward.

2) No, no Ben Reid would not be our best defender. I would quite happily take Tom McDonald over Ben Reid every day of the week and twice on Sundays, no contest.

Mar 11, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Couple of things.

1) I didn't say he would be, I said I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up your best defender. Dunn not playing in 2016 wasn't a form or ability thing, it was simply a youth movement and Dunn not being in Goodwin's plans going forward.

2) No, no Ben Reid would not be our best defender. I would quite happily take Tom McDonald over Ben Reid every day of the week and twice on Sundays, no contest.

You do that, but a fit Ben Reid is better than McDonald and it's not actually close. The only key defender in the league better than him is Rance.

Dunn was good enough to play for us, we just went with youth and guys like Oscar McDonald, Sam Frost and some of our other younger players were given longer leashes that in seasons gone by probably would have had them dropped rather than persisted with in a new system after a couple of shaky performances.

All joking aside, he's still got some decent footy in him. Good one on one, good overhead and a long accurate kick. He's even slimmed down to try and pick up a yard of pace. I would've rather we kept him than Garland.

He'll surprise you if you pick him up. He didn't fit into Goodwin's plans, that's all.

You can see how these statements can be interpreted though. You say he is good enough to play AFL but that has to be marginal. Nobody tips out a 28yo KPB who is demonstrably better than the young guys. He may be borderline AFL still but he is only going to get worse. If we sign him for 2 years, which I assume we are as he already has a one year contract, it's a downhill journey. No matter how you spin it Melbourne see him as not good enough now and he is only going to get worse. I would rather go younger and hope you unearth someone better. We are not in contention while his career is still alive so I would pass on him.

markm106

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I think Dunn is a solid pick up. As a few other Dees supporters have said he's been kept out of the side due to youth. However Collingwood may have been better off convincing Frost to stay if possible as it gives them a longer term option.
The only reason he'll have a better year than Reid is if Reid gets injured and he has been injury prone over the journey.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back