Traded Lynden Dunn [traded to Collingwood with pick 51 for pick 47]

Remove this Banner Ad

He is no Alex Rance. However you know with Dunn you'll get a solid 4 quarters every week. He was certainly liked by most the Dees fans.
I was somewhat surprised he didn't get more games last year. However we got games into Oscar McDonald and that's worked out.
I thought Schade looked good at the start of the year. Dunn seemed to take his spot. Dunn still has another year or two in him.
+1, statistically better than Rance

dunn is about my fav player ever (and yes I know I probably made negative posts about him earlier on in this thread fwiw)

dunn-mathieson-sledge-800.jpg

Who knows. Apparently Dogs were keen and had a pick just before Collingwood. They ended with Lewis Young so they'd be happy.

I'll guarantee Collingwood would have gone for Kirby anyway (Richmond thought they had him sewn up in the rookie draft and Collingwood wanted to pinch him out of their hands) , and as you say the Dogs are happy too.... highly likely Hannan still would have been available at 51. After all 46 other picks had already passed on him.

Dunn was basically traded to Collingwood for nothing out of respect for him and his wishes to get to his club of choice.

A great article on Dunny on the eve of facing his former club.

Interesting stat taken from the article:

Since Round 6 last season, Dunn has ranked sixth of all key defenders for aerial contests, losing only 22 of his 99 battles, according to Champion Data.

Severely underrated for how he has performed over the last 18 months and would be in the top handful of best lockdown defenders in the comp.

Has averaged around 14 possessions a game and going at a 80% DE - seriously good numbers for a FB.

One of those trades that was win win for both sides.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Since Round 6 last season, Dunn has ranked sixth of all key defenders for aerial contests, losing only 22 of his 99 battles, according to Champion Data.

Severely underrated for how he has performed over the last 18 months and would be in the top handful of best lockdown defenders in the comp.

Has averaged around 14 possessions a game and going at a 80% DE - seriously good numbers for a FB.

I remember in Dunn’s last year at Melbourne I was wanting them to play him and he only played a few games. He’s really consistent and you know you’ll get effort every week. We kept playing Oscar McDonald that year and it's really paid off. So I can see why the club let him go for not much.

Cant see how its a win-win. Melbourne lost him for nothing. They didnt gain anything in the trade so technically couldnt win anything.

They did the right thing probably because they already had Pederson for depth and were building a good list and Dunn was surplus....but you cant call it win for them apart from the warm and fuzzies they get from doing the right thing by Lyndon Dunn and letting him walk to Collingwood.

Cant see how its a win-win. Melbourne lost him for nothing. They didnt gain anything in the trade so technically couldnt win anything.

They did the right thing probably because they already had Pederson for depth and were building a good list and Dunn was surplus....but you cant call it win for them apart from the warm and fuzzies they get from doing the right thing by Lyndon Dunn and letting him walk to Collingwood.
The pick upgrade got them Mitch Hannan. There may have been a club between the picks upgrade keen to pick him.

He once was a shocking piker, but got it out of his game. Massive head ducker when he heard footsteps.

He's a battler to be admired.

He wouldn't get a game st the Dees, so it was the right decision to let him go. He wouldn't play the structures Goody wanted. Thankfully, Oscar has come on in leaps and bounds.

The slight upgrade in picks was used to draft Mitch Hannan, who's become part of the highest scoring forward line in the league. I assume Mitch would have been there 4 picks later, so in essence we said "free to a good home".

That said, he ended up at Collingwood.

The slight upgrade in picks was used to draft Mitch Hannan, who's become part of the highest scoring forward line in the league. I assume Mitch would have been there 4 picks later, so in essence we said "free to a good home".
I reckon trading Marley Williams for a Pick 70 something was the team simply trying to get a player to their desired destination with no plans to use the pick. When it’s a 3rd rounder being upgraded, I reckon Hannan may’ve been potentially sought by a club with a pick a few spots earlier than the Dees otherwise he would’ve been swapped for that late pick which wouldn’t be used.

I reckon trading Marley Williams for a Pick 70 something was the team simply trying to get a player to their desired destination with no plans to use the pick. When it’s a 3rd rounder being upgraded, I reckon Hannan may’ve been potentially sought by a club with a pick a few spots earlier than the Dees otherwise he would’ve been swapped for that late pick which wouldn’t be used.
You might be right.

There were 3 clubs that could have taken Hannan before our pick 51 and one of them was Footscray, where he'd been playing VFL, including being in their flag winning team of that year.

Good trade.

Melbourne cleared up cap, got a small pick upgrade, and dunn was probably not gonna get much game time at Melbourne anyways.

We got our best defender, who is probably the most important player in our back 6 right now.

the two reasons melbourne let Dunn go was to get games into Oscar McDonald and he struggled in a zone defence.

Glad to see him playing well though

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Good trade.

Melbourne cleared up cap, got a small pick upgrade, and dunn was probably not gonna get much game time at Melbourne anyways.

We got our best defender, who is probably the most important player in our back 6 right now.
Wouldn’t go as far saying he is our best and most important.

I think Howe is our best and Scharenberg is very quickly becoming our most important.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back