List Mgmt. Lyon and the Cubs

Remove this Banner Ad

Right now - our kids don't maintain structure (it's improved over the season - last week aside, where it completely fell apart), and for a while they had too many getting sucked into the contests and then having an opposition player loose over the top making us look like we're running around like headless chooks that can't get near it (what happened last week).

Time and experience will help, as the team learn to gel and understand when to go, when not to, when to spread, as their skills and hardness improve, and they trust one another in a 1 on 1 situation to win the ball.

Spot on. Our midfield was beaten both at stoppages and general contested ball and everyone got sucked in. It has happened in a number of other games we have lost this year. Particularly non stoppage contests.
Only experience and trust will solve this problem.
Carton were in exactly the same position last week against us but were simply uncompedative (we kicked 3 - 8 in the second half despite easing off. Should still have won by 80 points), whereas on the weekend despite totally losing structure we only had 3 less i50's.

Unfortunately we can't blame the kids for not maintaining structure at contests - we have been doing it for 2 or 3 years.
We flood in close to the contest with no outside mids.
If we get possession its either a hack kick or a handball to someone still in the contest.

Our opponent have 1 or 2 usually on the defensive side of the contest which gives them a bail out option to someone with a bit of time.
This week it was luke Hodge one of the best distributors in the comp.

http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2018-07-05/sandi-in-2019-lyon-hopes-so

What's people's take on this? Didn't really want to start a shitcan Sandi thread. He's been immense for us for an awfully long time.

A fit Darcy has to assume the mantle from here though doesn't he?

We badly need the midfield to start to learn how to play without Sandi putting it on a platter, and conversely we need a ruckman to have a greater impact around the ground and up front.

I actually like Lyon leaping to Sandi's defense, would be poor form to engage in a discussion publicly at this point, and I can see room for him on the list as depth in 2019, but surely this year is his victory lap as #1 ruckman, surely privately Lyon understands this yeah?

Last edited:

What's our win/loss in 2016-2018 with and without Sandilands? I'm guessing it's around 50% with Sandilands and 20% without. That's a big discrepancy, if Sandilands wants to play on I think he definitely should even if it's with the intention of only playing 15-16 games.

What do you reckon the outcome was?

I personally think he'll play on next year. Not that I necessarily think that's the best idea, but I think that's what will happen. Sandilands and Mundy will stay, everyone else over 30 (and Lee Spurr) will retire.

I personally think he'll play on next year. Not that I necessarily think that's the best idea, but I think that's what will happen. Sandilands and Mundy will stay, everyone else over 30 (and Lee Spurr) will retire.
Have no issue with Mundy whatsoever, and I still reckon there's a spot on the list for Sandi in 2019, but if Darcy is in and out of the side at the expense of him, because hit outs, I will find that hard to get my head around.

Not to mention Geelong and others will come sniffing around like a pack of hyenas.

What's our win/loss in 2016-2018 with and without Sandilands? I'm guessing it's around 50% with Sandilands and 20% without. That's a big discrepancy, if Sandilands wants to play on I think he definitely should even if it's with the intention of only playing 15-16 games.
The past is irrelevant isn't it? As are losses at this point.

2-3 years into a 4 year rebuild we need to be looking forward, we need to start planning for life after Sandi now. If he makes it to 2019, there's no way he's still there come 2020, what are we waiting for? :think:

Will be interesting to see how this unfolds.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

well danyle pearce and Michael Johnson wont be on the freo list in 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Back