Remove this Banner Ad

spindoctor

Club Legend
Suspended
Oct 10, 2003
Other Teams
Adelaide Crows
The worst game of AFL he has ever seen.

Refused to show highlights from the game because it was so awful.

And then he commented 'And they're saying in Adelaide that Neil Craig has the job...'.

The look on his face said it all.

Originally posted by spindoctor

And then he commented 'And they're saying in Adelaide that Neil Craig has the job...'.

Quite right, no special bias by Gary.

Told it as it is:mad:

7 point win.= favourable comments in support of that game on Friday and the coach

Scored 1st goal in third qtr, and thats encouraging?

Be carefull you could have 3 years of this stuff!

Originally posted by spindoctor

Fantastic. Good to see someone give the AFC a kick up the backside1 I liked John Cahill's comments in todays paper too re: Craig and going after one of the assistiant coaches (O'Donnell).

Originally posted by mike2j7
I suppose Gary can't take anymore than the 3 hours he spent watching it.
Who could blame him. I had my face in my hands for a record number of times during the game as I couldn't believe what I was watching. :eek:

• Banned
Re: Re: Lyon's comments on Fri night

Originally posted by Jerome
Fantastic. Good to see someone give the AFC a kick up the backside1 I liked John Cahill's comments in todays paper too re: Craig and going after one of the assistiant coaches (O'Donnell).

What paper? What did Cahill say?

Football according to Jack
Jesper Fieldstad, Sunday Mail August 1, 2004

Q What about the Crows?

Cahill: I don't think they're far away. They need to recruit two good players down the spine to be a good team. (for a start! - J)

I like Neil Craig as long as he does'nt patronise. Sometimes they loose and he'll say they did alright but you cant say that; If they didnt play well, they didnt play well.

Say it - and if you put players off side so what? You're the one setting the standard.

So Neil Craig will be good provided he's not too soft with the players.

Cahill... I think that some of the clubs are looking at recycled coaches, but I would look at the young assistiants. Give them a chance: you don't know how good they can be. In Australia we underestimate how good we can be until we're given a chance. If I was running a club, I would grab one or two of the younger coaches. I would be looking at guys like Mark Harvey, Gary O'Donnell, Shaun Rehn and Andrew Jarman.

That game was a disgrace.

Is this what the future will be like if we appoint Craig? Only winning via sheer dumb luck and dragging opponents down to our shoddy level?

At the start of the season I knew we were nowhere near as good as we thought we were (we = the club and the vast majority of the supporters), but for the love of god, I never expected us to sink this low.

Any credibility we earned in seasons 1997, 1998 and 2002 has long since been frittered away. In gameplan, playing list and overall respect we're travelling as well as Freo were pre-Connolly.

Originally posted by dyertribe

At the start of the season I knew we were nowhere near as good as we thought we were (we = the club and the vast majority of the supporters), but for the love of god, I never expected us to sink this low.
Seriously our list is not as bad as everyone makes out.
Look at John Cahills comments, listen to coaches and ex coachs here in Melbourne and they reckon the Adelaide list is OK with 2-3 of the right players.

Any coach who says we need 3 years to rebuild this list is looking for a scapegoat, and we'll hear the excuse after every loss:mad:

Originally posted by Wayne's-World
Seriously our list is not as bad as everyone makes out.

I disagree.

We need reinforcements across every line.

We're short a couple of tall/key defenders.
We're short a couple of tall/key forwards.
Our ruck division is mediocre.
Our midfield needs bolstering.

It is a 2-3 year rebuilding job at the very least - anyone who disagrees is in denial.

I disagree.

It is a 2-3 year rebuilding job at the very least - anyone who disagrees is in denial.

I'm not in denial:confused:
If we had a mobile ruckman in the rehn mold and a tredrea type CHF, we would be a finals contender, it IS that simple.
tinkering with a rew positions is also required ie; Burton at FF.
but I think we are about 10% off the league leaders, 10% = 2 players.
Renovating not re-building, anyone who can't see that is deliusional.

Originally posted by jc67
If we had a mobile ruckman in the rehn mold and a tredrea type CHF, we would be a finals contender, it IS that simple.

...and how long would you give the AFC to recruit/develop players of that ilk?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I disagree.

Rutten, McGregor, Parker, Bock + 1 draftee /trade

Hentschell, Watts, Krueger + 2 draftee/trades

Yes midfield and Ruck is our most serious problem - 2 midfielders and a ruckman.

How quickly we develop depends on the development of those players listed plus how well we draft/trade.
With Luck 2 years, bad luck (another Angwin) 4 years.

Originally posted by Bresh
...and how long would you give the AFC to recruit/develop players of that ilk?

Watts = 2-3 years
Ruck = dunno?? Ottens is as close as availabe and he is no rehn, Lateral recruiting requred ( a big black american guy who has been suspended from collage basketball for being too agressive + 3 year wait);)

I'm not in denial:confused:
tinkering with a rew positions is also required ie; Burton at FF.
but I think we are about 10% off the league leaders, 10% = 2 players.
Renovating not re-building, anyone who can't see that is deliusional.
Are you John Reid by any chance??????:confused:

Now tell me how do we get those 2 types of players?????? They fall into our lap??????

Its called drafting and it takes some time for those players to develop. The only reason we are in as much sh|t as we are now is because we were always renovating and never rebuilding. If we continue down this path we will be a laughing stock of the competition ala the Richmonds and the Carlton of recent years.

Watts = 2-3 years
Ruck = dunno?? Ottens is as close as availabe and he is no rehn, Lateral recruiting requred ( a big black american guy who has been suspended from collage basketball for being too agressive + 3 year wait);)

So, you agree with dyertribe then...

Watts = 2-3 years
And in 3 years when Watts starts to play good consistent footy the likes of Roo, McLeod, Goodwin, Edwards and Har are no longer playing

Originally posted by Stiffy_18

Its called drafting and it takes some time for those players to develop. The only reason we are in as much sh|t as we are now is because we were always renovating and never rebuilding. If we continue down this path we will be a laughing stock of the competition ala the Richmonds and the Carlton of recent years.

Essendon

I disagree.

Really? I would think we seem to have an embarrassment of riches there at the moment...Rutten will be persisted with at FB and has been very impressive, while McGregor is one of the best CHB in the competition and Bassett is very good as a third tall.

We also have the highly rated Parker waiting in the wings, the apparently massively improved Smith and possibly even Bock.

Our forward line isn't a lost cause - Perrie at CHF, Welsh at FF and Watts and Hentschel developing has the makings of a very good forward line.

How do you reckon we would go if we got micheal Gardeneir and Damon White, assuming both are fit and fireing for 80% of the season?

And I think we could get both if we really tried.

How do you reckon we would go if we got micheal Gardeneir and Damon White, assuming both are fit and fireing for 80% of the season?

And I think we could get both if we really tried.
And what would you give for them?????? To get those players we need to give something of equal quality so at the end of it all you are covering up some holes while exposing others.

And answer my questions RE Essendon. I would be interested in your response.

I think we should get White.

We won't go after Gardiner because firstly he is an injury liability and secondly West Coast would be loath to let him go - and if they did, it would be at a massively high asking price that wouldn't correlate with the risk.

Originally posted by Stiffy_18
I was waiting for that one. Tell me how are Essendon renovating?????? Tell me how do they do it?????? What is tehir strategy??????

Essendon don't really renovate it's more like a coat of paint over a solid structure every year.
they do it by trading exeptionally well and by picking the kids with the most improvement in front of them ( Sheedy has said many times that "it's about the attitude of a youngster more so than what he has achieved", ability goes without saying)
Their strategy (players) is a simple people managment one, empower and reward.
Strategy for recruiting is more of a banking thing where they will get and develop someone well before they are needed and trade them if there is a gain to be had.
As with all clubs the spine is what the rest of the side is built around, and as i said ours just needs a CHF and a Ruck, at this stage in time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back