Free Agency Mabior Chol [joins Gold Coast as an unrestricted free agent]

Remove this Banner Ad

Athletically he is best 22 at every club in the comp but this isnt athletics.

The main problem is, his best position is no 1 Ruck but if he's your no 1 ruck, you are in for a long year.

He's just not hungry or aggressive enough.

Think he could do well as a second tall in the back line?

Think he could do well as a second tall in the back line?
That's actually where he started in the VFL and they didnt persist with it long term so could have just been part of his education but I think backmen need to have a high level of desire to compete, he doesn't seem to have it which is such a shame.

He is also very easily moved off the ball or drop zone

Interesting how our Talls are getting so much attention from rivals yet we aren't playing them...

I know CCJ should probably be playing. Chol very athletic can have the odd good game, but probably good enough if he hasn't made it yet.

Interesting how our Talls are getting so much attention from rivals yet we aren't playing them...

I know CCJ should probably be playing. Chol very athletic can have the odd good game, but probably good enough if he hasn't made it yet.
Your current talls are so good that the ones who are on the fringes cant get games and then look for opportunities.
Chol has always impressed when he's played.
Good mobile talls are a dime a dozen in the AFL.

This is the way it goes when you have a very successful team. So palm off your fringe players for good picks and profit.

I went to the VFL match at the Gabba on Saturday and it starkly confirmed my already held view that I'd take Mabior Chol in a heartbeat over our current backup ruck Archie Smith.

I went to the VFL match at the Gabba on Saturday and it starkly confirmed my already held view that I'd take Mabior Chol in a heartbeat over our current backup ruck Archie Smith.

That's fair and Chol is having an outstanding VFL season to date, he just cant string it all together at AFL level. May get his chance this week.

You had your chance.
That's fair and Chol is having an outstanding VFL season to date, he just cant string it all together at AFL level. May get his chance this week.
Do you think he is likely to get another contract at the Tigers, he'd be considered 3rd in line at the moment behind Nankervis and Callum Coleman-Jones wouldn't he, 4th once Soldo comes back?

Mabior may want to come home to the Lions,;) where he'd be 2nd behind Oscar McInerney.

Do you think he is likely to get another contract at the Tigers, he'd be considered 3rd in line at the moment behind Nankervis and Callum Coleman-Jones wouldn't he, 4th once Soldo comes back?

Mabior may want to come home to the Lions,;) where he'd be 2nd behind Oscar McInerney.

I reckon we try very hard to keep atleast one of CCJ or Chol and are no chance of keeping both and wouldnt be at all suprised if both left for more opportunity.

Not sure he moves to bris without a role in the best 22 that doesnt rely on injury.

I read the other day the club was keen to keep him on but I reckon he'd be silly not to take up an offer from another club where he will be given more opportunity. Don't think he'd get any more opportunity at the lions barring injury though. He's best suited to a 2nd ruck/3rd forward/defender I reckon. Can't see him getting games @ lions with Hipwood, Daniher and McStay forward. If he wants to go home Gold Coast could be a good fit.

Having said that he's killing it @ VFL level and been alot more imposing than in the past so maybe he's turned the corner. Might get a chance to see him this weekend if we do play.

I don't rate Soldo. Plus we have Samson Ryan who's been surprisingly good @ VFL level for how raw he is (you also had your chance with him too ;)) and the 7 foot giant Mate Colina on the Cat B list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well he is a free agent on the fringe of best 25 players at Richmond

Give him a good deal/contract and cant see why he wouldnt similar to Oleg Markov
Richmond do their bit to help with equalisation and develop plyers for other clubs to compete against us.

Chol is looking for opportunies. I'm not sure he would join us considering he would be depth (at best) for us.

Gun...could he be made into a KPD?
He has all the physical attributes to be the prototype tall defender but i dont think he has the physical nous to out position and to have that defensive instinct to stop leads and positioning of the smart fowards. I think you will find he will most likely attempt to play on instinct (going to sound stupid but kind of like what Moore does for the pies) But i doubt he has the smarts to read it like Moore.

I would try it but wouldnt hold my breath - But i would have said the same about Liam Jones

Mate when Jack retires in a few years we need these players to step up.

Hiow old is Nank now?

We do have Soldo but I wouldn’t be throwing quality players out the door yet.

We need to get the same quality back if he was to go which oppo clubs try to skirt around,the beggars.

I think Chol has improved every year,he looks way more confident now.

Samson Ryan is another waiting in the wings.

That’s the bad thing about being a great club,oppos sniff round your fringe players.

Mate when Jack retires in a few years we need these players to step up.

Hiow old is Nank now?

We do have Soldo but I wouldn’t be throwing quality players out the door yet.

We need to get the same quality back if he was to go which oppo clubs try to skirt around,the beggars.

I think Chol has improved every year,he looks way more confident now.

Samson Ryan is another waiting in the wings.

That’s the bad thing about being a great club,oppos sniff round your fringe players.
For Chol's perspective why would he stay and play 5 games a year if he can go elsewhere and play 20 games a year
You think he'd be willing to sit behind Riewoldt for another 2 years patiently waiting.
Thee guy will be 25 before the start of next season.

For Chol's perspective why would he stay and play 5 games a year if he can go elsewhere and play 20 games a year
You think he'd be willing to sit behind Riewoldt for another 2 years patiently waiting.
Thee guy will be 25 before the start of next season.
I agree. From a selfish point of view I hope he stays but I think it's in his best interest to move on.

Hes an ideal 3rd tall forward option and he won't get that chance regularly until jack retires after next season likely.

I agree. From a selfish point of view I hope he stays but I think it's in his best interest to move on.

Hes an ideal 3rd tall forward option and he won't get that chance regularly until jack retires after next season likely.
Just based on your gut feel , what if jack played on . Chol will be in deep trouble without a decent contract.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back