Free Agency Mabior Chol [joins Gold Coast as an unrestricted free agent]

Remove this Banner Ad

Jack will play on. I'll be surprised if chol sticks around. The lure of more game time will he greater than the money I reckon.

GC most likely. His family are all in qld.

You're probably right. However he is different from every ruck we have on the list because he does move like a midfielder. If Hardwick can permanently overcome his phobia of playing a second ruck there is a role for him, especially with a huge question mark over Soldo, and with perhaps Coleman-Jones being earmarked for a permanent forward position or perhaps leaving.

Anyhow, as it has been pointed out repeatedly, we don't seem to lose players we want to keep. If we truly want to keep him we will probably find a way.

You're probably right. However he is different from every ruck we have on the list because he does move like a midfielder. If Hardwick can permanently overcome his phobia of playing a second ruck there is a role for him, especially with a huge question mark over Soldo, and with perhaps Coleman-Jones being earmarked for a permanent forward position or perhaps leaving.

Anyhow, as it has been pointed out repeatedly, we don't seem to lose players we want to keep. If we truly want to keep him we will probably find a way.
Yeah we need to keep at least one of CCJ and Chol for sure. Don't rate Soldo.

I want him to play in our side more as 2nd ruck/forward. has a moment every now & than where he doesn't go hard enough but he does a lot good things gets to the right spots inside 50 & good around stoppages.

What he does is pretty nice
but he doesn't do much

6th year on the list
Will be 25 before start of next season
Career averages of 6.7 possessions, 1.8 marks, 0.9 goals per game
took 2 or less marks in 19/22 games

(Log in to remove this ad.)

probably good timing he's getting games in seniors ATM. Fatten him up for market then send him off to gold coast for will Brodie or Ben Ainsworth... Win/win Chol gets more games + $$$ and to go back to QLD. And we get to turn a rookie who never really kicked on into a former early first round pick that can finally be developed and nurtured.

What he does is pretty nice
but he doesn't do much

6th year on the list
Will be 25 before start of next season
Career averages of 6.7 possessions, 1.8 marks, 0.9 goals per game
took 2 or less marks in 19/22 games
Spot on. He generally does something flashy or memorable where ya go wow he could be something. Then the game goes on he barely touches it until finally in the last quarter he actually does something ok and you remember he's playing then at end of game you've seen enough and see who coming back from injury will take his spot. It's no knock on him he's a 24 year old rookie who we've previously delisted who's played 22 below par games and it's time to polish him up and trade for something better. I'll spew if he becomes our Majak Daw 30 years old playing 50 ordinary games.

probably good timing he's getting games in seniors ATM. Fatten him up for market then send him off to gold coast for will Brodie or Ben Ainsworth... Win/win Chol gets more games + $$$ and to go back to QLD. And we get to turn a rookie who never really kicked on into a former early first round pick that can finally be developed and nurtured.
Haha excuse me?

We have to pay Chol more and then give up a younger, better player.

chol is worth a 3rd or 4th rounder IMO.

He would be worth more if you’d developed and nurtured him to the point where he was a legitimate AFL player. But you haven’t and he’s not.

Haha excuse me?

He would be worth more if you’d developed and nurtured him to the point where he was a legitimate AFL player. But you haven’t and he’s not.

So you want a ready made player, who will slot into your team for most, if not all, games next year, and you only think he's worth a 3rd or 4th rounder?

The rest of your list must be pretty awful if a 3rd or 4th rounder can get regular games ahead of them.

Chol's only real drawback is lack of aggro/attitude. He's showed a lot more of that this year.

His size, athleticism and skill are first rate. Footy brain is OK, but not great. But he has JR and Lynch ahead of him forward, and Nank/Soldo in the ruck. That's his big problem really. He's good enough to be playing AFL. But he's got guys that are actual A graders, or close to it in front of him. I hope he stays and the penny drops and he bring some attitude. Pure athletic rucks don't prosper - you need some campaigner in you. Similar with KPFs.

Chol's only real drawback is lack of aggro/attitude. He's showed a lot more of that this year.

His size, athleticism and skill are first rate. Footy brain is OK, but not great. But he has JR and Lynch ahead of him forward, and Nank/Soldo in the ruck. That's his big problem really. He's good enough to be playing AFL. But he's got guys that are actual A graders, or close to it in front of him. I hope he stays and the penny drops and he bring some attitude. Pure athletic rucks don't prosper - you need some campaigner in you. Similar with KPFs.

You need to do the 'maths' in your head as a big/tall player.

Yes, crashing your body around will hurt you....but it'll hurt them more.

Then you've got to have the mindset to take that pain to help your team.

Not sure Mabior is quite there yet.

Would be a mistake for any team to take this guy on, particularly someone like the Suns. Can do some nice things but ultimately is a VFL player. Not competitive enough.

Still think we'd probably take him. We have three rucks, one is 34, one is raw, and one is a forward-ruck. It'd be good to find a FA ruck.

Haha excuse me?

Chol is worth nothing in a trade

You just have to pay him enough $$$ to convince him that GC is the best team for him to play at and take him as a free agent as he is uncontracted
He will have offer of roughly $300k-$350k from Richmond to stay and some clubs may offer him more

So just give him a good enough contract to convince him

up a younger, better player.

Chol is worth nothing in a trade

You just have to pay him enough $$$ to convince him that GC is the best team for him to play at and take him as a free agent as he is uncontracted
He will have offer of roughly $300k-$350k from Richmond to stay and some clubs may offer him more

So just give him a good enough contract to convince him
He's an unrestricted free agent. There will be no trade.

Spot on. He generally does something flashy or memorable where ya go wow he could be something. Then the game goes on he barely touches it until finally in the last quarter he actually does something ok and you remember he's playing then at end of game you've seen enough and see who coming back from injury will take his spot. It's no knock on him he's a 24 year old rookie who we've previously delisted who's played 22 below par games and it's time to polish him up and trade for something better. I'll spew if he becomes our Majak Daw 30 years old playing 50 ordinary games.

I have a feeling (hope) that we might see a very different Mabior Chol playing ruck in the weeks to come with Nankervis injured.

He strikes me as the type of player than can often get lost on the field in a set position on the ground. The classic kid at school who wasn't bought up playing football and finds it hard to read the play, but paired up against any other kid in kick to kick wins the ball more often than not. Anyhow in ruck he'll be playing a more 'see ball, get ball' role. There his athletic leap, his ability below his knees, his speed, his skills (and he has a hell of a lot of them for a big man) can shine. Playing that role with his confidence up, he'll be more of a presence up forward and hit the scoreboard (again I hope). His recent form was very good in the VFL doing that and was very encouraging against Adelaide. Plus as we all know, sometimes talls just take longer to mature.

Yep I know this is all best case scenario but if it does demand for his services could skyrocket. Nankervis could be out for up to six weeks ('medium term injury' apparently) and that's a pretty good sample to work off, and that whilst that might be bad for Richmond it could be a godsend for Chol. Either way we'll know soon.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back