Free Agency Mabior Chol [joins Gold Coast as an unrestricted free agent]

Remove this Banner Ad

Chol is out of contract this year, shown some signs as an athletic utility tall.
Who will chase him? North may have some interest going by discussions here and elsewhere, while the Bulldogs will no doubt be linked to every tall player who can identify which end of the ground is the defensive end.

What's he worth?

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Chol is out of contract this year, shown some signs as an athletic utility tall.
Who will chase him? North may have some interest going by discussions here and elsewhere, while the Bulldogs will no doubt be linked to every tall player who can identify which end of the ground is the defensive end.

What's he worth?
We'd lose him for free tbh. I imagine he'd be picked up in the rookie/PSD or just as a free signing when we don't renew him end of year.

HTPunter

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Is he any good?

He's a project player but only 24 and shown enough that you'd expect him to be an AFL standard player with a good run at it. I think his ceiling is limited, but he's got some traits that would give me hope he can partner Larkey for the short to medium term, and means we aren't relying on Xerri or Comben to come through quickly (unlikely to happen) or Walker and Campbell (I think Chols ceiling is still far higher than these guys).

I wouldn't want a bidding war for him but I see him as a value pick as a free agent (apparently) that gives us depth in the KP stocks going forward, and best case is he ends up being a a top 4/5 KF/2nd ruck player in the comp - he should be a better player than Shaun McKernan or Tom Campbell have been.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kangas_11

Club Legend
Nov 14, 2013
Toronto
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Colts, Raptors, Milan, FU Crabs
Would be keen for North to take a punt on him as a KPD. Ben McKay has taken his game to a new level this year obviously learning a lot from Robbie Tarrant, I reckon Chol could benefit from the same kind of tutelage.

Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Virtually a free hit 200cm athletic Ruckman thats only 24 years old for depth nd if it clicks for him at another team you never know
Jenkins replacement ;-)

Well he would be a big upgrade on Jenkins, but the downside is that we would have to pay him a salary unlike Jenkins.

As I said not sure he will make it, Richmond are pretty good at getting the best out of players IMO, but who knows.

Nov 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Would be keen for North to take a punt on him as a KPD. Ben McKay has taken his game to a new level this year obviously learning a lot from Robbie Tarrant, I reckon Chol could benefit from the same kind of tutelage.
Chol has had tutelage from rance and riewoldt and is still bog average.

Well he would be a big upgrade on Jenkins
No he wouldn't.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back