Mabior Chol - The one that got away

Remove this Banner Ad

Deadly Assassin

Senior List
Aug 25, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Richmond must be absolutely kicking themselves over letting this guy go. He kicked 3 goals on them today and would be their best key forward with Riewoldt near the end of his career and Lynch past his peak.

What do you guys think? Would Hardwick and co be spewing about losing Chol?

Richmond giving up a whole forward line the last few years, arguably worse than Carlton giving away Fevola, Garlett and Betts.

Having a great year no doubt, but not the one that got away. He had great moments but rarely performed with the consistency and intensity that he is now at the GCS. IIRC his family is located up that way, so maybe the whole change of environment (including club, coaching team mates and family support) is what has really turned his game around.

Love watching this bloke play.

Nice skills for a big guy, accurate set shot and brings his teammates into the game. Perfect relief ruck too.

Also striking resemblance to Martin Luther King.

No thread about this (surprisingly) but it's still mind blowing as to why Richmond let this guy walk out on their club. 2017 premiership star who reminded his old club today of how good he is.

Neil Balme and co must be spewing.

Richmond must be absolutely kicking themselves that they let this guy go. He is an absolute jet who has become a key cog in St Kilda's team and is a criminally underrated player. I firmly believe Richmond would still be contending had they kept Higgins.

What do you guys think? Do you think Richmond are shattered Higgins left them?

Richmond must be absolutely kicking themselves that they let this guy go. He's an absolute jet who has become a key cog in Geelong's team and I firmly believe Richmond would have a better chance at contending if Stengle was still part of their team.

What do you guys think? Do you think Richmond would be shattered about getting rid of Stengle?
Love your work. Can’t wait for the CCJ - The one that got away Thread.

Love watching this bloke play.

Nice skills for a big guy, accurate set shot and brings his teammates into the game. Perfect relief ruck too.

Also striking resemblance to Martin Luther King.
Accurate set shot? You sure about that?

Richmond must be absolutely kicking themselves over letting this guy go. He kicked 3 goals on them today and would be their best key forward with Riewoldt near the end of his career and Lynch past his peak.

I'm a huge fan of Chol but Tom Lynch has a strong body of work behind him and is still regularly carrying that Richmond forward line - Lynch would walk into any team in the competition; even Carlton and Geelong would make room for him. I don't think he's past his peak.

Mabior Chol needs to be recognised for the player he has become though; huge year for the Suns. Gives Jarrod Witts a very valuable chop-out and then has the hops and the cunning to hit the scoreboard regularly for Gold Coast. Great talent and a really nice fit for the Suns.

Chol is a gun. He is not young but only 25 and no injuries.

I would be truly pissed as a Tiger supporter..... but that is bound to happen when you win 3 flags in 4 years.

They also lost Higgins and Butler and Coleman Jones.

Their recruiting team are doing very well.

A clear and defined role which utilised his strengths of a second ruckman and then the second tall target rather then what he was doing a richmond has seen him play more consistent football,

Huge fan of him. Has a bit of Mongrel in him and an amazing attitude and does all those gritty hard 1%ers

Newman, Grigg, Chaplin, McRae, Leppitsch, Conca, Jackson, Vickery, Derrickx, Stengle, Butler, Higgins, Lloyd, Miles, B Ellis, C Ellis, Markov, Dan Richardson, Cain Liddle, Coleman-Jones, Chol, Stengle, Deledio.

The 23 that got away. A whole team of them, including medi-sub. 😁.

If only you could keep them all. Damn.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's scored a goal in every match so far this season. Sometimes makes it looks easy, sometimes he looks miles off it. All part of the deal.

Didn't get to do a proper preseason last year, hopefully he can take his fitness another level.

Chol always seemed to me to be a raw player, has the talent just is inconsistent.

As a KPF if your raw you need consistent game time. I do feel Chol is the perfect 2nd Rock in today’s AFL similar to Lobb. But reality is Tigers can’t play Chol, Riewoldt, Lynch, Soldo and Nank.

Right now if Chol was performing at the tigers he’d be ahead of Riewoldt and Soldo but if your the tigers and you’ve won 3 flags I 100% support the call that you back in your players that won you those flags and let go of young players that you’d prefer to keep but won’t stand in there way for more opportunity which is fair enough

I still think Richmond made the right call to back in their champions, but very happy how it has worked out for us, he has been great and is on track to kick 40+ goals this year which is more than we could have asked for at the start. Can't wait for him to get a proper pre-season under his belt.

A rare win for the Suns list management team, along with the Casboult coming in.

I personally still can't believe they let Richard Tambling and Angus Graham go.

Just bad timing not to get his opportunity more, any good team with sustained success is going to have this problem.

Just proves our recruiting over the last 5-10 years and development has been good. Most of them late picks and rookies which became magically good as well (which we probably didnt expect so many to come good).

You should be spewing more about Coleman Jones than Chol. Coleman Jones may have ruined his promising career by going to North. Should have gone to Collingwood or stayed at Richmond and waited for Riewoldt to retire.

Salary cap more than anything else, ultimately still would of mostly played vfl this year (behind Lynch, Jack and Balta who has been playing as swing man) but to match Gold Coast offer we would of needed to pay him best 22 money
Probably getting paid more than Jack at this point

Happy he is getting a decent crack at the end of the day

In seriousness, playing in what seems to be his best position and moving to another club, realising now is the time to take his chance, a vote of confidence from the coaches all add up.

Tigers have better KPF players in front of him and the knock on him at Richmond wasn't that he wasn't talented or athletic, it was that his effort was quite variable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back