News Mackay re-signs for 2021 + Gallucci, Poholke, Crocker delisted

Remove this Banner Ad

I have been too harsh on Mackay. Clearly the club use a number of metrics to measure performance, fan engagement for one. The club loves Mackay's ability to engage with the fans, all those balls he sends flying into the crowd really adds to the gameday atmosphere.

Geez you’re a ********, get a life

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I like the clip starting at 1:48 when he marks a hack kick from defence on the 50.

"He can have a shot from here Mackay!"

No he certainly cannot! And the clip cuts straight to the next highlight.

I must say, those 3 games Freo at home in 12, Richmond at home in 12 and Hawthorn at the G in 17 or 16! We were so good and he was big in those lol!
My criticism with him has never been effort or desire it’s that he never rises above!

The way the cards fell with list sizes and our draft hand, we only had room for one of these 4 on the list.

Crocker and Poholke were absolute no-brainer delistings for mine. Both proved beyond a doubt in 2020 that they aren’t AFL standard. Surely nobody has any issue with this. Neither are any chance whatsoever of being picked up by another club. Thanks for the service boys, but correct call.

So it came down to either giving Mackay one final year before a certain retirement at the end of 2021, or giving Gallucci a one-year dead man walking contract while he is recovering from a snapped Achilles. Bearing in mind also that the 2021 draft is being dubbed somewhat of a “superdraft”.

Nobody is disputing that we’re in a rebuild, but the fact is, none of these 4 guys are going to be part of the future. We can talk about Gallucci being played out of position until we’re blue in the face. Anyone who watched him played IN his preferred position at SANFL level in 2019 will tell you that he was mostly bog average while doing it, and he’s clearly also got off-field issues. Now he’s torn an Achilles, which many will argue is significantly harder to return from than an ACL? No thanks.

Mackay can undeniably offer leadership and guidance to the young mids and defenders off the field (and occasionally on it). Who cares about on-field, that off field stuff is already more valuable than anything the other 3 can offer on or off field in 2021.

Maybe there was an argument for delisting all 4 of them, but I honestly can’t find one for keeping any of Gooch, Poholke or Crocker over D-Mac.

I don’t see any way that any of the 4 of them were ever going to be retained in 12 months time, and I also don’t see the point in taking what would likely be the last pick of the entire draft in 2020 on a 2 year deal, instead of D-Mac for 1 year and then an extra pick in the 2021 superdraft as a result of D-Mac retiring, so all 4 of these list decisions get a tick from me.

Now, if D-Mac is keeping a fully fit Sholl, Hamill, Schoenberg or McPherson out of the side in 2021 I’ll be ropable, but let’s not jump at shadows on that one.

He's an easy target but the thing with Mackay is he probably offered the best bang for the buck of the players left unsigned. Poholke and Crocker aren't AFL standard and Gallucci had that work ethic question mark hanging over his head before the injury. Sloane, Walker, Lynch and M Crouch arguably had worse seasons and they would be on 3-4 times the coin.

He's an easy target but the thing with Mackay is he probably offered the best bang for the buck of the players left unsigned. Poholke and Crocker aren't AFL standard and Gallucci had that work ethic question mark hanging over his head before the injury. Sloane, Walker, Lynch and M Crouch arguably had worse seasons and they would be on 3-4 times the coin.
With Gallucci, was he going to get back to full fitness this year ? .....will he still have his pace, after a nasty Achilles ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty sure the worst 200 game player in AFL history is Anthony Rocca
Nah, Anthony Rock was a solid midfielder. You're just anti North Melbourne...

That's an indictment on our list management and use of the salary cap.

The Walker one in particular is going to end in tears and a round 12 retirement (when the selectors finally get sick of him being a passenger and decide to drop him).

We could just be happy for him. He is not the best player in the team but he plays his role and has given his all for the club. Lots will kick themselves in the dick but I’m guessing he isn’t playing much next year and is therefor support and back up.

The way the cards fell with list sizes and our draft hand, we only had room for one of these 4 on the list.

Crocker and Poholke were absolute no-brainer delistings for mine. Both proved beyond a doubt in 2020 that they aren’t AFL standard. Surely nobody has any issue with this. Neither are any chance whatsoever of being picked up by another club. Thanks for the service boys, but correct call.

So it came down to either giving Mackay one final year before a certain retirement at the end of 2021, or giving Gallucci a one-year dead man walking contract while he is recovering from a snapped Achilles. Bearing in mind also that the 2021 draft is being dubbed somewhat of a “superdraft”.

Nobody is disputing that we’re in a rebuild, but the fact is, none of these 4 guys are going to be part of the future. We can talk about Gallucci being played out of position until we’re blue in the face. Anyone who watched him played IN his preferred position at SANFL level in 2019 will tell you that he was mostly bog average while doing it, and he’s clearly also got off-field issues. Now he’s torn an Achilles, which many will argue is significantly harder to return from than an ACL? No thanks.

Mackay can undeniably offer leadership and guidance to the young mids and defenders off the field (and occasionally on it). Who cares about on-field, that off field stuff is already more valuable than anything the other 3 can offer on or off field in 2021.

Maybe there was an argument for delisting all 4 of them, but I honestly can’t find one for keeping any of Gooch, Poholke or Crocker over D-Mac.

I don’t see any way that any of the 4 of them were ever going to be retained in 12 months time, and I also don’t see the point in taking what would likely be the last pick of the entire draft in 2020 on a 2 year deal, instead of D-Mac for 1 year and then an extra pick in the 2021 superdraft as a result of D-Mac retiring, so all 4 of these list decisions get a tick from me.

Now, if D-Mac is keeping a fully fit Sholl, Hamill, Schoenberg or McPherson out of the side in 2021 I’ll be ropable, but let’s not jump at shadows on that one.

People said Mackay was a certain retirement at the end of 2020 as well a year ago.

If he keeps getting his 15 touches he'll get yet another contract next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back