News Mackay re-signs for 2021 + Gallucci, Poholke, Crocker delisted

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry. I can't agree, no recruiter given the brief Hamish was given by Pyke would have taken Bolton over Gallucci. Not one.

pyke wasn’t giving anyone a brief, and he wasn’t overruling anyone

Hamish is fully and completely independent of the coach, and he’s seen off a few

if he chose to be influenced by the coach’s preference that’s on him

Hamish is fully and completely independent of the coach, and he’s seen off a few

Agreed he should have autonomy and likely does in general, but given the state of our club its believable that he got a nudge from higher up the chain.

You're just being obstinate now, there were no midfielders with top end pace other than Gallucci at that point in the draft (most certainly none with Gooch's credentials) and any recruiter given the brief Pyke gave Hamish would have taken Gallucci. The midfielder with top end speed other than Gallucci did not exist after his pick, there were some very nice midfielders still on the board but none with the C.V. Pyke gave the recruiting team. If you think there were provide some names
You can defend hamish as much as you like

It doesn't change the fact we were spooners with the worst list in the league

Accept it, move on, get a quality recruiting manager and see if we can do better

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I saw some games in 2020 where the only full game effort was from O'Brien, Keays and Mackay. Personally I can understand how a coach might value that, and want to be seen to reward application.

Phil Bunn who was actually there said he did influence the decision to take Gallucci, that's good enough for me..

We need senior players to showcase elite traits

We cant delist too many senior players at one go

nekminnit 2021 contracts are seen

Contracted until end of 2021
Brodie Smith (11 Years)
Daniel Talia (11yrs)
Taylor Walker
Matthew Crouch
Rory Laird

Darcy Fogarty
Andrew McPherson
Tom Lynch
Paul Seedsman

Tom Doedee
Ben Davis
Reilly O'Brein
Jake Kelly
Jordan Butts (R)
Lachlan Murphy
Fischer McAsey
Harry Schoenberg
Josh Worrell
Ronin O'Connor
Lachlan Gollant
Shane McAdam
Kieran Strachan (R)
David MacKay

Yep David gets another year for 2022

Bad list management no matter the excuse

Not crying over any of them, unfortunately it's a cutthroat business.

If Mackay is best 22 and not just reliable coverage I'll have more to say then.

Death, taxes and David Mackay

On Pixel 2 XL using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Disappointed to see Poholke desisted. I thought he had qualities worth developing. The bloke has not been given a fair go.

it doesnt matter, he’ll only play as a “break glass” last option
We all know Mackay will be there round 1 despite a limited pre-season, be dropped mid-July to work on some aspects of his game but come back into the side after a late injury without missing a game

Disappointed to see Poholke desisted. I thought he had qualities worth developing. The bloke has not been given a fair go.
Of his crop of recruits, Poholke was given more opportunity than most. He just wasn't up to it. It's a shame because he did earn his opportunities with strong performances in the SANFL but couldn't make the step up.

I don't think Poholke's qualities mesh well with the midfield our coaches are trying to create atm. The recruiters seem to be targeting two types of mid right now, big bodied mids with some height eg. O'Connor or guys who can burst away from a pack eg. Schoenberg. Poholke is in that awkward category where he isn't really tall, isn't really fast, and not skillful enough to make up for his other shortcomings.

Last edited:
"Pykey was thinking about the now and in the end we bowed to the coach on that one, but Hamish was very strong on his opinion and those discussions were often very robust."
Pyke is a *******..

Just another example of a dumb* coach overruling the expert that should be making the decisions.

the coaches are unfortunately like our politicians, they are in “3 year terms” mode... selfishly all for the here and now and quick sugar hits and no thought for long term goals

wasnt it Ayres that demanded Mcgregor be taken instead of Pavlich?..

that cost us big time.

You can defend hamish as much as you like

It doesn't change the fact we were spooners with the worst list in the league

Accept it, move on, get a quality recruiting manager and see if we can do better

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app
I would like to think Hamish is on a last chance. He has picked some good roughies but most of his top end picks are yet to deliver. Being wooden spooners 2 years after GF is a major reflection on poor list management.

I'd say that of most of our side though. We haven't been a fit side for years.

And yet Hass survives. We're a lock for bottom two with him still running our fitness program.

We all know Mackay will be there round 1 despite a limited pre-season, be dropped mid-July to work on some aspects of his game but come back into the side after a late injury without missing a game
Our usual modus operandi is to give some token games early in the season to young players which leaves our duds untainted by those early losses.

Then we can bring the old faves in and say that we've debuted x number of players, rebuild is well in effect etc.

Poholke's lack of a tank was his undoing. Couldn't run out of sight on a dark night.
Actually not true....

Maybe look at the fitness program.

Poholke’s TAC Cup numbers were impressive, averaging 21 disposals per game and winning the Stingrays’ best and fairest award. He is quick with his hands inside stoppages but also has the pace to be damaging on the outside.

His improved fitness was on show at the draft combine, where he posted a 14.1 in the beep. 10:51 for the 3km time trial, and showed some speed in the 20m sprint with a 2.98.

Mark Wheeler, Dandenong talent manager says:

"Within six months of being added to Stingrays’ program he was given an AFL Academy spot and has become a true professional in his preparation and on-field goal setting. He’s a midfielder who is strong and can be very hard to tackle given his huge strength. Can slide forward and kick goals and is one of the best one-on-one players in the TAC Cup. Combine testing showed he had elite running ability”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back